Steve Hutchinson Hofer

chris98251

Reaction score
Cyrus12":2v4kk0w2 said:
Did he go in as a seahawk? I see Russ gave him a standing o.

He went in as a Football player who played for the Seahawks and Vikings, this is not the NBA.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Cyrus12":sop9imru said:
Again, in the Pro Football HOF players don't go in as a member of a specific team. They go in with a bust that has no team logo whatsoever and all of the teams they played for are listed chronologically on the base of the bust.

As for Hutchinson, it's deserved but I have very mixed feelings about him.

OP
OP
Cyrus12

Cyrus12

Reaction score
chris98251":1my2xgds said:
Cyrus12":1my2xgds said:

He went in as a Football player who played for the Seahawks and Vikings, this is not the NBA.
Copy...thought they had a choice.

acer1240

Reaction score
The poison pill thing still really bothers me.

Seattle actually did match the offer, even restructuring Walt's contract to do so.

That clause made it literally impossible as it had included language that applied terms to the date of the contract signing.

It was a bitch move.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
acer1240":2pttmk7w said:

Seattle actually did match the offer, even restructuring Walt's contract to do so.

That clause made it literally impossible as it had included language that applied terms to the date of the contract signing.

It was a bitch move.

Pretty much.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Just to put the record straight here, Steve Hutchinson's "poison pill" contract with the Vikings was in retaliation to the Seahawks reneging on a promise by Mike Holmgren that he would be given the franchise tag. Tim Ruskell used the less-expensive transition tag, which screwed Hutchinson out of $600,000.

The villain in the piece is Tim Ruskell, who didn't consult with Mike Holmgren, and in fact Holmgren was rightfully pissed that Ruskell chased away a hall-of-fame guard who was a key part of the impenetrable left side of our offensive line.

So much like a fight on an NFL field, it's often the guy who retaliates who gets flagged. Except unlike the NFL, we have all the information and can make the right call. Hate on Ruskell, not on Hutch.

acer1240

Reaction score
Disagree kiwi. I'm not saying that you are wrong on the Ruskell comment as you are spot on, but in the end, it did not cost Hutch a dime.

It was an unprecedented clause and has since been banned in NFL contract language.

It was a shitty move to say the least.

Faust

Reaction score
There should be a provision that says he only gets in if he lives in Canton Ohio.

truehawksfan

Reaction score
Agreed. This is all on Hutch. Period. I don’t want to hear any other false narratives. I posted this when .Net was on Scout over a decade ago.

Timmy boy played a role but the poison pill BS clause is now banned because of Hutch.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Poison pill shouldn't bother anyone.
That moron GM Ruskell I believe, promised him and Holmgrem the franchise tag and while Holms was out on vacation, changed it to the transaction tag. The poison pill wasn't at the hawks, but at Ruskell who betrayed his trust.

kf3339

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":13rexjck said:
Just to put the record straight here, Steve Hutchinson's "poison pill" contract with the Vikings was in retaliation to the Seahawks reneging on a promise by Mike Holmgren that he would be given the franchise tag. Tim Ruskell used the less-expensive transition tag, which screwed Hutchinson out of $600,000.

The villain in the piece is Tim Ruskell, who didn't consult with Mike Holmgren, and in fact Holmgren was rightfully pissed that Ruskell chased away a hall-of-fame guard who was a key part of the impenetrable left side of our offensive line.

So much like a fight on an NFL field, it's often the guy who retaliates who gets flagged. Except unlike the NFL, we have all the information and can make the right call. Hate on Ruskell, not on Hutch.

Whether Hutch lost any money, or not, this whole issue lies squarely with Ruskell. Anyone of us who followed the team closely at the time knew where the blamed should go. I remember talk that even Allen didn't understand what happened and Holmgren had to explain it to him. This should have been the reason to fire Ruskell right that moment. Most other owners would have made that move. I know I would.

Msfann

Reaction score
acer1240":1ouueuz0 said:

It was a b!@ch move.

This! He can celebrate with his vikings teammates and fans. I said the same thing about Randy johnson. Both didn't want to be here so piss on them.

OP
OP
Cyrus12

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Well at least he didnt tell another coach to come get him or finger the sideline...what Earl did was much worse. Not that Earl is a hofer.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Bobblehead":1lbklhwl said:

Regardless of blame, it was 15 years go. Football is something that is supposed to be fun; carrying a grudge with real emotions from two presidents ago over it seems weird.

KinesProf

Reaction score
bmorepunk":o2anp8wy said:
Bobblehead":o2anp8wy said:

Regardless of blame, it was 15 years go. Football is something that is supposed to be fun; carrying a grudge with real emotions from two presidents ago over it seems weird.

Agreed. Grownups holding grudges against someone they don't know, in the largely inconsequential realm of pro sports, seems silly to me.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Congrats Hutch. Another HoFer to add to our arsenal. Well deserved.

12HawkFan

Reaction score
acer1240":2oc4xu4p said:
Disagree kiwi. I'm not saying that you are wrong on the Ruskell comment as you are spot on, but in the end, it did not cost Hutch a dime.

It was an unprecedented clause and has since been banned in NFL contract language.

It was a $h!t move to say the least.
Let's not forget Hutch is from Minnesota and had a desire to go home if the money was right and if I recall correctly his wife/girlfriend at the time was also from the Minny area and preggers so there were some other factors but I among many I know were first hand pissed off he left.

The NFL is a business and stuff like this happens sometimes and if Ruskell didn't screw the pooch like he did, Hutch would have remained a Hawk, PERIOD.

I am glad he made the HOF because he sure deserves to be there, at least IMO.

GO HAWKS!!!

12HF

Rob_Grimm

Reaction score
Hutch was from Florida. I was really bitter about the poison pill garbage at the time, but I’m over it now. Congrats to Steve Hutchinson. He was a legend for the Seahawks.
The real blame goes to Tim Ruskell and the players association. Ruskell was a flat out idiot being cheap with a great player and the PA wanted the transition tag gone...
Also, screw the Vikings for that chump ass move. The NFL should have blocked the transaction the moment it hit the league office.