Playing safe will end up costing us in the playoffs.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
We've seen it for the better part of 3 or so years now and specifically almost every game this year.

I promise you this won't be a luxury against a good team, so we should probably stop doing it now, while we still can.

You blow teams out when you have a chance, leave no doubt.

It's obnoxious to watch and infuriates me to no end.

You heard it here first, I hope this doesn't happen in the playoffs but I wouldn't be surprised if this is how we do go out if we do.

Wait didn't we do this in SB 49, nvm.

Rat

Reaction score
Playing close is one thing, but letting a team back into a game is discouraging, especially this late in the season and against a really bad team.

11-3 record is nice, but it doesn't mean the playoffs aren't still single elimination. Definitely gotta tighten up some things.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Rat":36sob8ec said:
Playing close is one thing, but letting a team back into a game is a bad sign. Especially this late in the season and against a really bad team.

11-3 record is nice, but it doesn't mean the playoffs aren't still single elimination. Definitely gotta tighten up some things.

By the end of the game:

Bobby
Clowney
Diggs
Griffin
Ansah
Kendricks

Literally 6 of your 7 best defenders out. JV team out there against Mccaffery. Some people are completely overreacting. Under the circumstances the defense balled out as long as they could.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Hawkpower":1y3h5e85 said:
Rat":1y3h5e85 said:
Playing close is one thing, but letting a team back into a game is a bad sign. Especially this late in the season and against a really bad team.

By the end of the game:

Bobby
Clowney
Diggs
Griffin
Ansah
Kendricks

Literally 6 of your 7 best defenders out. JV team out there against Mccaffery. Some people are completely overreacting. Under the circumstances the defense balled out as long as they could.

True, but I bet the end of the game doesn't look much different with all those guys playing. It's like they scheme to be as far away from the receiver as possible.

Seahawks8880

Reaction score
Agree. Hasn't anyone learn anything from super bowl 3 years ago when the Patriots made the most ridiculous comeback in history due to the opposition playing conservative. I really do not like Ken Norton's defensive mind, as matter of fact, I like for him to be replaced by the end of season. I can't stand watching every game when our defense allows 10-15 yards of cushion every time other team catches the ball.

John63

Reaction score
Problem is it is not just on defense they do it in offense too.

Reaction score
Seanhawk":wu0iw8tu said:
Hawkpower":wu0iw8tu said:
Rat":wu0iw8tu said:

By the end of the game:

Bobby
Clowney
Diggs
Griffin
Ansah
Kendricks

True, but I bet the end of the game doesn't look much different with all those guys playing. It's like they scheme to be as far away from the receiver as possible.

How would you know if it doesn't look different with all of our starters playing. Sure looked different against the 9ers.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
John63":3ith84uy said:

Offense ad 1 3 and out with a 20 point lead. Got the ball back with a 6 point lead and killed the game.

I know we are talking about the season as a whole, but this does deserve some credit.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
coorslighthawk":vlcmu0rv said:
Seanhawk":vlcmu0rv said:
Hawkpower":vlcmu0rv said:
Rat":vlcmu0rv said:

By the end of the game:

Bobby
Clowney
Diggs
Griffin
Ansah
Kendricks

How would you know if it doesn't look different with all of our starters playing. Sure looked different against the 9ers.

We also didn't have a big lead against the Niners. My point is they are going to run the same BS soft zone scheme.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Seanhawk":30zluxzo said:
coorslighthawk":30zluxzo said:
Seanhawk":30zluxzo said:
Hawkpower":30zluxzo said:
By the end of the game:

Bobby
Clowney
Diggs
Griffin
Ansah
Kendricks

We also didn't have a big lead against the Niners. My point is they are going to run the same BS soft zone scheme.

Every team in the NFL runs a soft zone with a 20 point lead under 5 minutes.

The problem was the back up players failure to execute

chris98251

Reaction score
Hawkpower":nw2ao0mz said:
Seanhawk":nw2ao0mz said:
coorslighthawk":nw2ao0mz said:
Seanhawk":nw2ao0mz said:

Every team in the NFL runs a soft zone with a 20 point lead under 5 minutes.

The problem was the back up players failure to execute

Except the Patriots.....

D

DomeHawk

Seemed like the under-staffed defense was doing pretty good until Bobby and Quandre went down.

But I get the concern.

Foot on the throat - no mercy!

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Seanhawk":6jcggreq said:
coorslighthawk":6jcggreq said:
Seanhawk":6jcggreq said:
Hawkpower":6jcggreq said:
By the end of the game:

Bobby
Clowney
Diggs
Griffin
Ansah
Kendricks

And they will continue to run it IF Diggs is out. Get used to it folks.

AubHawk71

Reaction score
There was a 3rd and 10 where I thought "Just throw it up the middle for 12-15 yards against the Hawks", but apparently Caro didn't get the memo, and went sideline pass that got smothered for no gain.

John63

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1e5nyfrn said:
John63":1e5nyfrn said:

Offense ad 1 3 and out with a 20 point lead. Got the ball back with a 6 point lead and killed the game.

I know we are talking about the season as a whole, but this does deserve some credit.

They never had a drive with a 20 point lead.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
We played two different defenses against the Rams. We played our base in the first half, with laughable results, and then switched back to our usual Cover 3 for the second half and did remarkably better. So we CAN shut down opposing QB's.

Is Pete just sandbagging as he always does, and plans to play all tough defense in the playoffs? Is he protecting Cody Barton? I don't know. But we can play better defense.*

*assuming Diggs isn't out

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":hj0xbtk3 said:
We played two different defenses against the Rams. We played our base in the first half, with laughable results, and then switched back to our usual Cover 3 for the second half and did remarkably better. So we CAN shut down opposing QB's.

Is Pete just sandbagging as he always does, and plans to play all tough defense in the playoffs? Is he protecting Cody Barton? I don't know. But we can play better defense.*

*assuming Diggs isn't out
Your asterisk is totally the key

jeremiah

Reaction score
The play it safe mode is incorporated into many members of the team. Specifically Carson went into a feet first slide instead of getting an extra yard or so within the last drive. Never have I seen a RB make a feet first slide and avoid the tackle unless the first down is made, and the game is wrapped up. The little things about a team are what makes you a champion or an also ran. EVERY SINGLE INCH must be contested. I hope his team mates ride him hard for that one. There are many coaches who would bench him and chew his ear off just for that.

Full disclosure, PC's method of coaching drives me nuts. It seems to work for him, but IMO it is the reason for the many losses in the past that happened at the ends of games when he had a "lights out" D. Not just when he is building a team.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Being risky (throwing the ball in SB XLIX) cost us in the SB. Playing conservatively cost us last year in the WC round.

You can't be dogmatic about what will and will not cost you in the playoffs. Risk can bite you. Conservative play can bite you. Sometimes you can call everything perfectly and turnovers kill you.

No one has any idea what will lead to a loss in the playoffs. That being said, our current strategies are reminiscent of Marty Ball and we all know how Schottenheimer fared in the playoffs. So you can't always rely on what worked in the regular season to work in the playoffs.

John63

Reaction score
jeremiah":89u2jfts said:
The play it safe mode is incorporated into many members of the team. Specifically Carson went into a feet first slide instead of getting an extra yard or so within the last drive. Never have I seen a RB make a feet first slide and avoid the tackle unless the first down is made, and the game is wrapped up. The little things about a team are what makes you a champion or an also ran. EVERY SINGLE INCH must be contested. I hope his team mates ride him hard for that one. There are many coaches who would bench him and chew his ear off just for that.

Full disclosure, PC's method of coaching drives me nuts. It seems to work for him, but IMO it is the reason for the many losses in the past that happened at the ends of games when he had a "lights out" D. Not just when he is building a team.

Well to be fair Carson did that to keep the clock moving, if he doesn't, yea he gets an extra 2 or 3 yards but he is also pushed out of bounds and that stops the clock