Ruminations on the Vikings Game

Fade

Reaction score
Ruminations on the Vikings Game is a post-game thread for everyone on .NET to post their thoughts (ruminations) about the game.

I never gave this game a second thought when the schedule came out. Easy Seattle W. Seatlle @ home, @ night, against Cousins. Even going into the week, still I penciled it in as a fairly easy win. Cousins who I still am not a believer in. As he is surrounded by so much talent it ridiculous. And now he has Kubiak as the architect of the offense. It couldn't get any better than what Cousins has. Well maybe, Mahomes, but that would be it. Cousins is being propped up big time.
So as the Seahawks were down in the 1st half, I didn't flinch, I wasn't worried at all, I was still highly confident they would win as they trailed by seven at the half. By the beginning of the 4th, Seattle had taken over the game as I expected and they were up 3 scores, Time to kick back and relax, ahhhhhh.

Then the Seahawks did the whole Seahawks thing, where they let the opponent back into the game no matter who they are playing. I still wasn't nervous after the busted TD give up. I was chill totally relaxed.... BUT THEN DK METCALF FUMBLED AND MY BLOOD PRESSURE SHOT THREW THE ROOF!!!!! WHY DO THEY HAVE TO MAKE THIS SO HARD???!!!!!!!

In the passing game Seattle seemed to have no answers, as the receivers were plastered the whole night. No matter how much time Wilson bought they were covered. They did have some mild success on the quick game, but Pete hates dink and dunk so they promptly went away from it. Thankfully the running game was a different story as the O-Line was firing off of the ball and Seattle right now has a real nice 2-headed monster at RB. Schotty had a couple of nice calls on the goaline to spring easy TDs for both Carson and Penny.

Defensively, I damn near had a heart attack when they blitzed Cousins in the 4th, but thankfully Cousins misfired or it would've been a TD. This after already giving up the cheapo TD the series prior. Flowers committed PI shortly after for reference, it might've been the very next play. What happened to keep everything in front? Just dumb. Seattle has also gotten sloppy again covering RB screens, after being airtight in that area for the last month.

PLAYER & COACH NOTES

Classic PeteBall to start the game. Wilson didn't attempt a pass on the 1st series, that inevitable stalls out. Not surprising.

*Pete Carroll chooses to punt on a short 4th and 1 at mid field. These kind of dumb desicions can lose you games. It makes sense if you have the #1 Defense maybe. But they are more like a middle of the pack defense. Bad choice.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/benbbaldwin/status/1201673142676205568[/tweet]

*Penny still has that juice from last week. I want to see him carry the ball more.

*You're supposed to bat it down, not forward, Wilson. :lol:

*Nifty little shift and pitch by Schotty for the Penny TD. I haven't been real impressed with the passing schemes tonight, but they are doing great things in the run game.

*Rasheem Green is a young pup, and It's cool to see him begin to flash more every week. He has the tools to be a Bennett type of player.

*Nobody is open. No matter how long Wilson extends the play. Everything is beyond tight window. Settling for another FG.

*Rhodes passes off D. Mo to... nobody for the easy TD. Thank you, Rhodes for sucking and having that miscommunication snafu.

*I would like to see Penny carry the load here in the 4th, he touches the ball and good things happen.

*Tre Flowers is also a young pup. It's only his second year playing corner, as a converted safety, and boy is he developing nicely.

*Diggs has really transformed this defense. Obvious is obvious.

*Right on cue, they feed Penny the football, and he goes in for the easy TD. He looks another gear faster than anyone else on the field.

*It's confirmed the stadium just isn't as loud as it used to be. The stadium at night used to get to 110+ decibel routinely, now it can't crack triple digits.

*The Seahawks follow up with their own coverage bust. :pukeface: The Seahawks just don't feel comfortable blowing out other teams. They have to make it a game.

*DK the fumbler, bailed out by refs for now. Challenge incoming. Predictably overturned.

*Wilson holding the ball and spins right into a sack, if he continues to the right he would've been fine.

FINAL THOUGHTS

With the 49ers beating the Packers, the 49ers losing to the Ravens, and the Seahawks beating the Vikings, makes the Seahawks the #2 seed. Had the others who can't do math gotten their desired result with the Packers winning, the Seahawks would be the #3 seed, and not have a bye week.

Green Bay probably won't lose a game the rest of the way, as the Vikings were wiped out tonight with injuries. So thank you SF for handing GB that loss, the Seahawks needed it.

Interesting rooting decision upcoming Sunday. SF or NO? If you told me Seattle will beat the Rams. Go SF!!!. But I don't know if that will be the outcome of the SEA-LA game. So I don't know which to go with between SF or NO. Seattle right now has a first round bye and that's what is most important. The #1 seed is just the cherry on top.

I will continue to mull it over during the week, but right now I am indifferent. Where as I was staunchly opposed to GB beating SF.

Please do leave a comment, or extended thoughts about the game. This is not a weekly soapbox post by any means. I am just here to get the ball rolling.

There is plenty I have left out, as a thousand things happen in a football game, and I am not trying to type a giant wall of text. I am going to go for a walk, and try to cool down, for now. :irishdrinkers:

gremlin

Reaction score
Seems like Lockett hasn’t been himself since the injury. Not sure he had a catch tonight. Russ trying to force feed him a couple to no avail.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Was nice to see Homer having a big part in tonight's win with two huge plays.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Green still very young and starting to become legit.

My opinion: root for NO. Finding a way to the #2 seed and possibly having to go to NO in a dome when the Hawks are road warriors doesn't bother me one iota. Every loss by SF gets the Hawks closer to that.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Fade":1ihhsdiz said:

See, tweets like this are why Baldwin is such a needlessly polarizing figure. He's not wrong about the numbers, but the team is 10-2 against immensely difficult competition and here's this couch jockey trotting out "cowards". There is a point at which criticism turns into douchiness, and he crossed it along time ago and then lapped it. There are probably countless pundits out there who could and did put the exact same point far more professionally.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":24eooqyg said:
Fade":24eooqyg said:

See, tweets like this are why Baldwin is such a needlessly polarizing figure. He's not wrong about the numbers, but the team is 10-2 against immensely difficult competition and here's this couch jockey trotting out "cowards". There is a point at which criticism turns into douchiness, and he crossed it along time ago and then lapped it. There are probably countless pundits out there who could and did put the exact same point far more professionally.
VERY well said

Aussie Seahawk

Reaction score
Great win! Off to the bottle shop to break the rules, and have a bottle of red wine during the week. 10-2 and currently leading our division... so ecstatic! Only 4:45PM (Tuesday) here, and I've all evening to celebrate! :D

Now, I seem to recall some restaurants in Seattle in the past have had special offers (ie, buy one meal, get one free) when we win at home(?) Does that still happen?

SEEEEEEEAHAWKS!!!

tersal

Reaction score
Fade":14nm03ai said:
Ruminations on the Vikings Game is a post-game thread for everyone on .NET to post their thoughts (ruminations) about the game.

I never gave this game a second thought when the schedule came out. Easy Seattle W. Seatlle @ home, @ night, against Cousins. Even going into the week, still I penciled it in as a fairly easy win. Cousins who I still am not a believer in. As he is surrounded by so much talent it ridiculous. And now he has Kubiak as the architect of the offense. It couldn't get any better than what Cousins has. Well maybe, Mahomes, but that would be it. Cousins is being propped up big time.
So as the Seahawks were down in the 1st half, I didn't flinch, I wasn't worried at all, I was still highly confident they would win as they trailed by seven at the half. By the beginning of the 4th, Seattle had taken over the game as I expected and they were up 3 scores, Time to kick back and relax, ahhhhhh.

Then the Seahawks did the whole Seahawks thing, where they let the opponent back into the game no matter who they are playing. I still wasn't nervous after the busted TD give up. I was chill totally relaxed.... BUT THEN DK METCALF FUMBLED AND MY BLOOD PRESSURE SHOT THREW THE ROOF!!!!! WHY DO THEY HAVE TO MAKE THIS SO HARD???!!!!!!!

In the passing game Seattle seemed to have no answers, as the receivers were plastered the whole night. No matter how much time Wilson bought they were covered. They did have some mild success on the quick game, but Pete hates dink and dunk so they promptly went away from it. Thankfully the running game was a different story as the O-Line was firing off of the ball and Seattle right now has a real nice 2-headed monster at RB. Schotty had a couple of nice calls on the goaline to spring easy TDs for both Carson and Penny.

Defensively, I damn near had a heart attack when they blitzed Cousins in the 4th, but thankfully Cousins misfired or it would've been a TD. This after already giving up the cheapo TD the series prior. Flowers committed PI shortly after for reference, it might've been the very next play. What happened to keep everything in front? Just dumb. Seattle has also gotten sloppy again covering RB screens, after being airtight in that area for the last month.

PLAYER & COACH NOTES

Classic PeteBall to start the game. Wilson didn't attempt a pass on the 1st series, that inevitable stalls out. Not surprising.

*Pete Carroll chooses to punt on a short 4th and 1 at mid field. These kind of dumb desicions can lose you games. It makes sense if you have the #1 Defense maybe. But they are more like a middle of the pack defense. Bad choice.

*Penny still has that juice from last week. I want to see him carry the ball more.

*You're supposed to bat it down, not forward, Wilson. :lol:

*Nifty little shift and pitch by Schotty for the Penny TD. I haven't been real impressed with the passing schemes tonight, but they are doing great things in the run game.

*Rasheem Green is a young pup, and It's cool to see him begin to flash more every week. He has the tools to be a Bennett type of player.

*Nobody is open. No matter how long Wilson extends the play. Everything is beyond tight window. Settling for another FG.

*Rhodes passes off D. Mo to... nobody for the easy TD. Thank you, Rhodes for sucking and having that miscommunication snafu.

*I would like to see Penny carry the load here in the 4th, he touches the ball and good things happen.

*Tre Flowers is also a young pup. It's only his second year playing corner, as a converted safety, and boy is he developing nicely.

*Diggs has really transformed this defense. Obvious is obvious.

*Right on cue, they feed Penny the football, and he goes in for the easy TD. He looks another gear faster than anyone else on the field.

*It's confirmed the stadium just isn't as loud as it used to be. The stadium at night used to get to 110+ decibel routinely, now it can't crack triple digits.

*The Seahawks follow up with their own coverage bust. :pukeface: The Seahawks just don't feel comfortable blowing out other teams. They have to make it a game.

*DK the fumbler, bailed out by refs for now. Challenge incoming. Predictably overturned.

*Wilson holding the ball and spins right into a sack, if he continues to the right he would've been fine.

FINAL THOUGHTS

With the 49ers beating the Packers, the 49ers losing to the Ravens, and the Seahawks beating the Vikings, makes the Seahawks the #2 seed. Had the others who can't do math gotten their desired result with the Packers winning, the Seahawks would be the #3 seed, and not have a bye week.

Green Bay probably won't lose a game the rest of the way, as the Vikings were wiped out tonight with injuries. So thank you SF for handing GB that loss, the Seahawks needed it.

Interesting rooting decision upcoming Sunday. SF or NO? If you told me Seattle will beat the Rams. Go SF!!!. But I don't know if that will be the outcome of the SEA-LA game. So I don't know which to go with between SF or NO. Seattle right now has a first round bye and that's what is most important. The #1 seed is just the cherry on top.

I will continue to mull it over during the week, but right now I am indifferent. Where as I was staunchly opposed to GB beating SF.

Please do leave a comment, or extended thoughts about the game. This is not a weekly soapbox post by any means. I am just here to get the ball rolling.

There is plenty I have left out, as a thousand things happen in a football game, and I am not trying to type a giant wall of text. I am going to go for a walk, and try to cool down, for now. :irishdrinkers:

You are right on Fade getting the first round bye is the important thing. Also I stated this on another post Diggs makes a difference however I wish one of the younger draft picks Hill r Thompson could have claimed the starting role. Hopefully they improve.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1s27lql0 said:
MontanaHawk05":1s27lql0 said:
Fade":1s27lql0 said:

VERY well said

I definitely see your point on this guys, but contextually, the tweet is being made in the heat of the moment, mix the emotions with the math, and this is what results. It was a cowardly punt ultimately, with a high surrender index.

JGreen79

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":3k5q1xrh said:

My opinion: root for NO. Finding a way to the #2 seed and possibly having to go to NO in a dome when the Hawks are road warriors doesn't bother me one iota. Every loss by SF gets the Hawks closer to that.

While I agree most of the time to go for the division first. The division is very very likely going to comedown to who wins in week 17 anyways. 13-3 with a win in week 17 wins the division but doesn't guarantee the 1 seed. 14-2 doesn't even guarantee the 1 seed at this point. If SF beats NO then 13-3 can get still get you the 1 seed with a three way tie with GB.

Remaining Schedules.

NO - SF, IND, @Ten, @Car
SEA - @LAR, @Car, Ari, SF
GB - WAS, Chi, @Min, @Det
SF - @NO, ATL, LAR, @Sea

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
Kirk Cousins is such a joke. 0 - 8 on MNF. It looks like it too. He has the height, weight, throwing arm, beautiful spiral and all the prototype stuff. But if it's a big game, prime time game, against a big time opponent, playoffs or playoff atmosphere I would definitely not count on him.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
JGreen79":3cc5s6j6 said:
hawksfansinceday1":3cc5s6j6 said:

While I agree most of the time to go for the division first. The division is very very likely going to comedown to who wins in week 17 anyways. 13-3 with a win in week 17 wins the division but doesn't guarantee the 1 seed. 14-2 doesn't even guarantee the 1 seed at this point. If SF beats NO then 13-3 can get still get you the 1 seed with a three way tie with GB.

Remaining Schedules.

NO - SF, IND, @Ten, @Car
SEA - @LAR, @Car, Ari, SF
GB - WAS, Chi, @Min, @Det
SF - @NO, ATL, LAR, @Sea

There is still some football to be played. I think both teams still can win this division. The head to head the last week may well determine the outcome. It will be a playoff atmosphere.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
[youtube]3Yd3lQVbkYc[/youtube]
The Seahawks are 10-2. :eek:

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
I fell asleep sometime after our first touchdown...pulled a damn near 36 hours designing a website.
I have been watching game highlights and I am actually kinda glad I missed it being that I'm tapering off
these God awful xanax. I'm not sure i coulda handled watching this game. But we won, so GO HAWKS! :irishdrinkers:
And eff you niners, 1st Place bitchesssss!

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I'm coming to believe more and more that our stubborn insistence on shooting ourselves in the foot almost every single game multiple times is going to make sure we don't get to the Super Bowl this year.

We still have a month of football to clean that habit up, but as it stands right now, I see us losing a playoff game prior to the big dance.

Still, no matter what - tonight feels great, and GO HAWKS!

Vesuve

Reaction score
SanDiego49er":1de8vn02 said:
Kirk Cousins is such a joke. 0 - 8 on MNF. It looks like it too. He has the height, weight, throwing arm, beautiful spiral and all the prototype stuff. But if it's a big game, prime time game, against a big time opponent, playoffs or playoff atmosphere I would definitely not count on him.

He's an $84 million dollar mediocre choker.

olyfan63

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":yaaujdg9 said:
I'm coming to believe more and more that our stubborn insistence on shooting ourselves in the foot almost every single game multiple times is going to make sure we don't get to the Super Bowl this year.

We still have a month of football to clean that habit up, but as it stands right now, I see us losing a playoff game prior to the big dance.

Still, no matter what - tonight feels great, and GO HAWKS!

Oh Ye of little faith!! Don't you know this is how a great team is formed? Come back in off that ledge, and let's get some historical sense and reality talked back into you.

Win the close ones, tested by fire, and with each close win, against increasingly tougher opponents, the team improves.
The team is becoming steadily BETTER, each week, it's a Pete Carroll November-December thing. But you know most of that. If in doubt, and you feel yourself becoming weak, just remember we have Russell Wilson, and our opponent doesn't.

Surely you remember the 2013 NFC Championship Game, where Russell Wilson fumbled on the first play from scrimmage, setting up a 49er FG? And then Kraepernick ran for 60 yards to set up a 49er TD, and next thing you know, it's 10-0 49ers, in our house? It looked very dark at that moment, remember? It felt like our shot at a Super Bowl was slipping rapidly away! Surely you remember the outcome of that game? And maybe you also recall the outcome of the Tampa Bay and Houston games earlier that same season, the "Seahawks trail Mike Glennon and the Bucs, 21-0 at home" game and the "Shoeless Dick Sherman" game, at Houston? And don't forget we lost the next-to-last game of the regular season, at home, to the Arizona Cardinals.

The point is, style points count for ZIP in this game, all that counts is the W and finding a way. The 2013 SB48 Champions team had those same issues. We are in great shape, we didn't get sucked into a L in any of the recent trap games (Philly at 10am) and we won the big ones vs tough opponents. (SF and Minn)

diver110

Reaction score
I worry about the Hawks’ seeming inability to put teams away. They are mostly getting away with their mistakes, but come the playoffs, especially on the road, they are going to have to tighten things up if they do not want to go one and out (or maybe two if they get a home game first).