Seahawks Leading The Way Again...

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Concussions have become a focal point in the NFL so much so that if nothing is done to help dramatically reduce them, the very sport could be in jeopardy. No amount of money generated by the league can stop a growing concern by parents to even allow their children to play the game of football if nothing is done.

Enter Vicis' ZERO1 helmets. 19 Seahawk players including Wilson and Baldwin will be wearing these tonight and all throughout the season. Wilson and Baldwin are both investors in the Seattle-based company.

We want our Seahawks and the NFL to be around for many generations to come. Innovative technology like this will help make that happen. Worth the watch.

[youtube]4bMOMf3S_EA[/youtube]

https://komonews.com/sports/seahawks/se ... his-season

sutz

Reaction score
I've been saying for years they should be padding the outside of the helmet. Much of the impact force is the initial helmet to helmet blow, which transfers through any padding on the inside as a shock wave to the skull.

This looks very promising. Especially if both players in the hit have this helmet, it naturally improves the impact resistance.

I like it. Oh, and BTW, even though I was an electronics engineer, I spent a few projects designing systems and packaging to protect the gear I worked on, in operation as well as in shipment.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
It's about time.
There will be some resistance from the legacy helmet makers, but once these new helmets are worn by a significant number of players in a regular season game, that will be it.

From a liability, public perception and a common sense point of view, there will be no reason to keep wearing the "unsafe" helmet when there is a safer alternative.

An example; can you even buy an automobile without ABS these days? And if you could, are you even insurable?

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Wow, this is so cool! Thanks for sharing. With the league looking to reshape how the game is played, maybe this can be the difference so that that doesn't have to happen. How was this concept never developed before? I'm so curious to see these helmets in use.

Side note: How can Doug wear one tonight if he won't even be playing? Am I missing something?

OpHawk

Reaction score
Thought this thread was gonna be about penalties...

MrThortan

Reaction score
Curious about the helmet's durability. I don't know how often NFL teams change helmets, but can these stand up to repeated blows and still protect players from injury?

Palmegranite

Reaction score
...edit..It's a good question...how serious of a hit determines whether the helmet will still be effective at protecting the player to subsequent impacts to the same level as before the impact.?..the same question could be asked of today's existing helmets.
Tonight, a Seahawk, in a defenceless position, was clocked quite seriously, directly in the head. Likely some degree of concussion inflicted. Possibly to both players. The offending player was ejected.

So the tradeoff is; replace, repair, refurbish?? that fairly costly helmet instead of in the future, potential living 10- 20 years with the horrors of CTE.

Latest posts