Defense leadership

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
I will go on assumption that Cliff and Kam will NOT be back. It is not what I want but for purpose of this thought experiment go with me. Assuming they are gone where will the leadership come form in the defense. Will Bwags or Earl be the man or will a new/newish guy step up? What are your thoughts. I do feel this is important because things are changing and they will be very different this year in the locker room.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Shaqalicious baby!

The Shaq Attack! :2thumbs:

chris98251

Reaction score
Aros":1c2jnn87 said:
Shaqalicious baby!

He is not unfamlier with SS and can cover, I highly doubt Kam is coming back, he can't even rehab yet, he also is still growing and may not be quite as big as Kam now but is big for a SS and faster then any SS in the game.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Aros":3dxy8mxm said:
Shaqalicious baby!

We have dual Shaq’s, which one?

Seriously though I think it will be Bobby and Earl, with a huge assist from Mr. Norton.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3723p835 said:
Aros":3723p835 said:
Shaqalicious baby!

We have dual Shaq’s, which one?

I was implying both. Hmmm, will need to sleep on a better moniker...

Love Our Brothers just took on a whole new meaning.

olyfan63

Reaction score
No mention of KJ?

Two guys I see stepping up to bring more leadership are KJ and Frank Clark.
BWags always has been a leader. KJ has been a leader.
Frank Clark is the one who steps into more of a leadership role this year with Bennett gone, Avril apparently out of the picture. And of course, Shaq(uille) Griffin.

Aside from players, of course Ken Norton Jr. will be bringing the fire and brimstone, for that part of the leadership picture.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
olyfan63":3oyqp0x3 said:
No mention of KJ?

Two guys I see stepping up to bring more leadership are KJ and Frank Clark.
BWags always has been a leader. KJ has been a leader.
Frank Clark is the one who steps into more of a leadership role this year with Bennett gone, Avril apparently out of the picture. And of course, Shaq(uille) Griffin.

Aside from players, of course Ken Norton Jr. will be bringing the fire and brimstone, for that part of the leadership picture.
Good catch.

WpgHawkFan

Reaction score
If I remember correctly, Pete had mentioned something about Jarran Reed stepping up into a leadership role this past season.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Frank Clark and Jarran Reed were mentioned as guys stepping up towards the end of last season. I hope Shaq took in everything he could from Sherm last year and starts to carry over some of his attitude and cocky confidence.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Don't think, in light of recent events, that ET is going to be the leader on that side of the ball. He represents a potentially toxic element in the locker room. It makes more sense that it would BW.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
SeaWolv":298ychbn said:
Don't think, in light of recent events, that ET is going to be the leader on that side of the ball. He represents a potentially toxic element in the locker room. It makes more sense that it would BW.

So. Much. Misplaced. Hyperbole.

Thomas is a five-time All Pro, six-time Pro Bowler, Super Bowl champion, and the #1 reason the Seahawks led the NFL in scoring defense for an unprecedented four-consecutive years. He is the best safety in the game, a future HoFer, and has the respect of every person in that locker room. This isn't hyperbole . . . it's truth.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I don't see Earl as toxic at all. So he's a strange cat, who cares? He brings it on the field, every......single.......play.

original poster

Reaction score
I can guarantee every single teammate respects him a whole lot more than some fans.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
original poster":47zzn75t said:
I can guarantee every single teammate respects him a whole lot more than some fans.

Of course. Because the players know what it's like to be a player and to not have control over whether the team decides to trade or re-sign you. Some fans don't get that.

Those fans also aren't in the locker room getting ready to go to battle with him.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Step up? This is and has been Wags' group. Kam used to make adjustments for coverage, but Wags is the guy and has been. Whomever plays SS will work very closely with Wagner or be a failure. That said, hopefully it's Kam and we get that continuity back between them.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":isplief6 said:
He has been the heart of that D for years imo.

Call comes in from the DC and goes through Wags. Wags calls it and makes adjustments for the fron seven in alignment. Kam, or whomever is playing SS can make adjustments for coverages (generally only Kam)

The FS is expected to do their job only. No one can even hear him, particularly in home games. The tradition of MLBs and SSs working together is for good reason and it's proxy to each other and the center of the D so they can distribute verbal communication due to noise levels. It is never the FS. It literally can't be.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
vin.couve12":21gllopp said:
Step up? This is and has been Wags' group. Kam used to make adjustments for coverage, but Wags is the guy and has been. Whomever plays SS will work very closely with Wagner or be a failure. That said, hopefully it's Kam and we get that continuity back between them.

Kam probably won't play, but he'll still be in the meeting and locker room.

Obviously he's one of the on field defensive leaders, so not minimizing his impact if absent. But I am clarifying that he's still on the roster, and will be coaching up the younger players and being an off the field leader in meetings and the locker room.