Defense leadership

hawknation2018

Reaction score
The fact that Bradley McDougald signed a multi-year deal could help him climb toward a leadership role over the next couple seasons.

That was another solid re-signing.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":5g3iwvfs said:
vin.couve12":5g3iwvfs said:
Step up? This is and has been Wags' group. Kam used to make adjustments for coverage, but Wags is the guy and has been. Whomever plays SS will work very closely with Wagner or be a failure. That said, hopefully it's Kam and we get that continuity back between them.

Kam probably won't play, but he'll still be in the meeting and locker room.

Obviously he's one of the on field defensive leaders, so not minimizing his impact if absent. But I am clarifying that he's still on the roster, and will be coaching up the younger players and being an off the field leader in meetings and the locker room.
Oh yeah, that's huge. Heard it last year.
[youtube]SwakzICFaIQ[/youtube]

Some...interesting things said about both safeties.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Matter of opinion. Earl AND Bobby are the leaders of the D. Kam was a huge influence on that D and his teammates. A safety can be the leader of a D. It's my opinion, too tired to argue today...... :2thumbs:

vin.couve12

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":22bl14qi said:
Matter of opinion. Earl AND Bobby are the leaders of the D. Kam was a huge influence on that D and his teammates.
No. Week 15 of Earl's 8th season and the coaches are trying to get him to be more of a vocal leader.

Opinion has nothing to do with it.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Because you say it, that makes it fact. You don't have to scream to be a leader. Leadership comes in many forms. But......Opinions are not allowed. Got it
Go Hawks

hawknation2018

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3bbsin3l said:
Because you say it, that makes it fact. You don't have to scream to be a leader. Leadership comes in many forms. But......Opinions are not allowed. Got it
Go Hawks

Indeed. Earl leads by example. You can also see him talking to players and making adjustments when needed.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
No one said anything about screaming. On top of that, last year was the opposite of being an example for Earl. The EXACT opposite. McDougald is more of a leader than Earl after half a season.

And he does not make adjustments. Stop lying.

You state "opinion" when you choose to ignore people who are actually IN the locker room and on the field with him. That's not an opinion. That's called a lie.

chris98251

Reaction score
The Corners and Earl communicate a lot pre snap and with hand signals based on the set and calls, when someone misses an assignment it is usually because they missed one of those signals. Sherm and Earl have both stated this. The defense is a cake with a few layers Bobby and Kam being that middle layer of frosting that the tow sides go back and forth in communications.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
hawknation2018":38y5o5uh said:
SeaWolv":38y5o5uh said:
Don't think, in light of recent events, that ET is going to be the leader on that side of the ball. He represents a potentially toxic element in the locker room. It makes more sense that it would BW.

So. Much. Misplaced. Hyperbole.

Thomas is a five-time All Pro, six-time Pro Bowler, Super Bowl champion, and the #1 reason the Seahawks led the NFL in scoring defense for an unprecedented four-consecutive years. He is the best safety in the game, a future HoFer, and has the respect of every person in that locker room. This isn't hyperbole . . . it's truth.

Show me where exactly in my post I said that anything I typed was fact. It's all opinion which is really the only thing this thread can be about. None of us has any idea who is going to emerge as THE leader on defense next season. So my comments can't be characterized as hyperbolic, they're opinions.

I never said anything about ET as a player. ET is the heart of the defense and he's given the Hawks a lot over the years. I would love to have him stay because I believe he's still got some mileage left to give but I don't want him in Seattle if he doesn't want to be there.

Based on comments he's made recently it would seem he may not want to stay. He's also called out some players in public for lack of performance and that may not sit well with them or others in the locker room. He held out of spring training and we don't really know if he'll sit out the season yet. Yes I know his agent said he'll play but who really knows for sure at this point. Even if he does play how do we know what kind of presence he's going to be in the locker room if he's disgruntled about his contract and not getting traded to the Cowboys. All of these things in my mind point to a potentiality for toxicity.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":nj0xtg5c said:
I don't see Earl as toxic at all. So he's a strange cat, who cares? He brings it on the field, every......single.......play.

Never said he was currently toxic but a lot has happened since season end that he may not be happy about and that COULD lead to some bad blood in the locker room.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
vin.couve12":1o9bd0ou said:
SoulfishHawk":1o9bd0ou said:
Matter of opinion. Earl AND Bobby are the leaders of the D. Kam was a huge influence on that D and his teammates.
No. Week 15 of Earl's 8th season and the coaches are trying to get him to be more of a vocal leader.

Opinion has nothing to do with it.

You guys are arguing two different sides of the same coin. There is a leader of the defense who gets the plays from the coaches and relays them to their unit and then there is the heart and soul of the unit that leads by actions and attitudes. Sometimes those roles can be performed by the same person like RW is now on O. However, when RW first got to Seattle he was the leader on O but Marshawn was the heart and soul. BW is the leader on D but ET is the heart and soul of the D.

Latest posts