Contrary to some, we DID need this game

seabowl

Reaction score
We are now only a 1/2 game in front 2 other division leaders not including Dallas which is way in front. The loss to the Bucs was a big one that very well could come back to bite us. The difference between the 2 seed and 3 or 4 is huge with home field positioning. Can't afford many or any other slip ups going forward.

gtcotcakya

Reaction score
Meh, I'm more worried about getting our team healthy.

We play CAR, @GB, LAR, ARI and @SF to finish.

Detroit plays @StL, Chi, @NYG, @Dal and GB to finish.
Atlanta plays KC, @LAR, SF, @Car and NO to finish.

Atlanta has the easier path, but I don't see either team running the table. I think our chances of keeping the 2nd seed are good, provided yesterday proves to be an anomaly and we get some of our key players back (e.g. Bennett, Thomas, Britt, Shead).

summesm

Reaction score
gtcotcakya":3oumyzkt said:
Meh, I'm more worried about getting our team healthy.

We play CAR, @GB, LAR, ARI and @SF to finish.

Detroit plays @StL, Chi, @NYG, @Dal and GB to finish.
Atlanta plays KC, @LAR, SF, @Car and NO to finish.

Atlanta has the easier path, but I don't see either team running the table. I think our chances of keeping the 2nd seed are good, provided yesterday proves to be an anomaly and we get some of our key players back (e.g. Bennett, Thomas, Britt, Shead).
exactly why the bye would be so important get healthy and rest plus one less game that needs to be played. I see Atlanta maybe losing one of those games. going from the 2 seed to a 3 or 4 is huge .

Hawks46

Reaction score
Largent80":19fu86dj said:
Carolina just put up 35 on Oakland.

So your point is that you're worried about our defense ?

Oakland has one of the worst defenses in the league. Then again, so did Tampa (well, bottom third). Oakland also gave up 32 points and won that game.

All this loss really does is knock us out of realistic contention for the 1 seed. Is it a game we should've won ? Yes, but we're so banged up right now that it makes it hard.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
True, we want HFA. We want that 1 seed honestly. But I still think Dallas is going to lose some games. We need to figure it out and quick

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
It's the NFL, you need every game if you have your sights on the Lombardi.

We deserved to lose that game yesterday. Tampa came out and kicked our ass on both sides of the ball, so give them credit.

What we learned yesterday is that we don't have the depth to withstand losing half of the LOB, Britt AND Bennett all for one game.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I think some people have a different definition of "need" than I do. We still control our own destiny as far as the bye week goes. We had a crappy game, it happens. We need to play better, that is certain, but we still are currently the number 2 seed, and we are hard pressed not to consider our division locked up. Would I have liked to have won yesterday? Absolutely. Was it a bummer? Yes it was. Does it change anything as far as our playoff outlook this morning? Nope, not one bit.

The playoffs are all about being healthy at the right time and getting hot. That is still something we can easily attain. I'm not going to let this game ruin my enjoyment of the superbowl contending season we're having.

Vpk0718

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3jewi09f said:
It's the NFL, you need every game if you have your sights on the Lombardi.

We deserved to lose that game yesterday. Tampa came out and kicked our ass on both sides of the ball, so give them credit.

What we learned yesterday is that we don't have the depth to withstand losing half of the LOB, Britt AND Bennett all for one game.

I disagree with this post. The defense was fine yesterday. Offense was the problem, and they have shown a habit, regardless of injuries, to crap the bed during road games.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I honestly don't think there is much of a race in the NFC right now. IMO, the loss to the Bucs didn't really change anything. We likely weren't going to catch Dallas, and we likely aren't going to let ATL or Detroit catch us.

The Boys are all but locked into the #1 seed. Congrats to them on what looks like home field advantage for them. Looks like the NFC will go through Jerry's worldd.

IMO, we look locked into the #2 seed. I see us losing one more game at most this season. We already have the tie breaker with Atlanta. Not only do we have one less loss than them, but the tie breaker. So essentially we are a game and a half up on them. ATL's remaining schedule is not easy.

Sorry, but I can't take Detroit all that serious. I just don't see them pushing us for the #2 seed in the NFC. They still have away games at Dallas, NYG, and New Orleans.

xgeoff

Reaction score
Yeah, agreed. I am not really too concerned about the offense or the defense. The pieces are there (when healthy). However, this was an important game. *IF* the Seahawks are going to challenge for a Super Bowl this year then home field advantage is going to be critical to that. Frankly, I feel like we would have crushed Carolina last year had that game been played in Seattle.

So it was important, it sucks that we lost, but I feel very good about the pieces we have and am also very impressed with the way the Defense played overall while missing MANY key starters.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
xgeoff":2zuyzzu2 said:
Yeah, agreed. I am not really too concerned about the offense or the defense. The pieces are there (when healthy). However, this was an important game. *IF* the Seahawks are going to challenge for a Super Bowl this year then home field advantage is going to be critical to that. Frankly, I feel like we would have crushed Carolina last year had that game been played in Seattle.

So it was important, it sucks that we lost, but I feel very good about the pieces we have and am also very impressed with the way the Defense played overall while missing MANY key starters.

Even before the loss yesterday, we likely weren't going to catch Dallas anyways.

kidhawk

Reaction score
xgeoff":bf4tqmuf said:

I disagree slightly. The Carolina game wasn't for the NFC title, and if we'd had a first round bye and homefield (which comes with 2nd which we are currently in) we would have had the home game. Honestly though, I think having the bye week is more important than the number one seed. I have no problem going into Dallas to play the NFC championship game, and that assumes Dallas doesn't fall to whomever they play in the divisional round.

IMO what we need is to get the home game to start off (instead of 2 road games) and a bye. If we keep our current positioning, we have that.

I would never say any game (before clinching) isn't important. This is the NFL, every game counts, because there are only 16 in total. I just don't think some losses do much to change the overall circumstance of a team. This is one of those. Given our position in the NFC hasn't changed, this game isn't AS important as it could have been had some other teams won more games earlier in the season.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Those saying that this team is getting better the last half of the season certainly can't be referring to this 2016 team. This team has been playing with "smoke and mirrors" as much as we've seen flashes of brilliance. Add the two together and you get..... "average". It is clearly a "crapshoot" when this team steps out on the gridiron. It reminds me of the Dave Krieg days...one could tell what kind of Sunday we were going to see within the first two possessions.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
The Giants have a better record than the Seahawks do...doesn't that mean they are currently in the #2 spot in the NFC? Since they are in the same division as Dallas, would that knock them out of the divison title but not the 1st round bye right? (if the season were to end today)

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2kjqc74m said:
The Giants have a better record than the Seahawks do...doesn't that mean they are currently in the #2 spot in the NFC? Since they are in the same division as Dallas, would that knock them out of the divison title but not the 1st round bye right? (if the season were to end today)

Division winners come before second place teams no matter the record. Think Beastquake game. Best hat I've ever seen was that years Hawks hat where it read "7-9 Division Champs".

thebanjodude

Reaction score
Any playoff team that doesn't win their division can only be a 5 or 6 seed.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification, Seabowl and thebanjodude...so really we only need to be concerned about the Lions and Falcons records (as they are the other division leaders). If the season ended today. Ok got it.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
We really didn't need the game that bad. I'll put it this way, Tampa needed the game more than us. We were not going to catch the Cowboys. I don't see Detroit or Atlanta jumping us in the standings. This game was far from important. Just another regular season game.