We need to face the facts

toffee

Reaction score
This afternoon, with an improving finger, Russ will show you doubter what an overcomer that he is. In the past few weeks, his accuracy was off, which was great part of his struggle.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

LTH

Reaction score
toffee":3ocewgve said:
This afternoon, with an improving finger, Russ will show you doubter what an overcomer that he is. In the past few weeks, his accuracy was off, which was great part of his struggle.

I'm hoping that's the case. I'm hoping he doesn't have any nerve damage in that finger... Like intermittent numbness in that finger... he came back way early... he might be dealing with that issue... pure speculation on my part...

LTH

olyfan63

Reaction score
toffee":3q8luiwv said:

I hope you're right.

I think Russell being "figured out" by NFL defenses is like an MLB pitcher who has been "figured out" by opposing hitters. There are many instances of, say, power pitchers who lose velocity, struggle, and then develop additional "out" pitches, and become better at their craft, studying hitters, and scheming how to exploit their weaknesses. Of course, the schemes only work if the pitcher has his accuracy.

As Russell's "escapability" and "run threat" wanes, can he improve his ability to read NFL defenses and quickly know where to go with the ball? Of course, if he doesn't have his accuracy on account of his hand injury, it won't matter, he'll suck no matter what.

Can Russell evolve his game, the whole cat-and-mouse thing, to "figure out" NFL defenses and take back the initiative? I'd love to see it. He could still be effective with a power run game defenses have to account for, and a historic shutdown defense that erases his mistakes. That was the formula that worked in the playoffs during the two SB runs, along with his uncanny mobility and the threat of running on the Read-Option.

I was watching a video on Kurt Warner recently that talked about his throwing hand injuries, and the negative effect it had on his game, couldn't grip the ball right, couldn't make the same throws. Then he went to wearing gloves, including on his throwing hand, and next we knew, he had taken the AZ Cardinals to the Super Bowl, and came within an eyelash of winning. So this type of injury can definitely derail a QB's season or even career. Just hope to see Russell get his accuracy back, in whatever way proves effective for him.

I'd love to see Russell "overcome". Go prove it. Even incremental progress would be great. At this point, playoffs are moot for the year (cue the classic Jim Mora Sr. video, "Playoffs??!!") and developing and improving the team for future success is more important. Kind of like the 2011 season, where we saw the emergence of the smash-mouth, physical Seahawks and the Legion of Boom, evidenced by beating the next two SB champs Giants and Ravens during that season. Russell learns to read NFL defenses and get the ball out quickly, take the open layups, the rest of this season? I'm all for it.