So what's the deal with the RZ offense?

ARhawk

Reaction score
We won today and last week against the Patriots, but in both games we just couldn't seem to score a touchdown in the red zone. Is it play calling, execution or what? Its so frustrating because we could have easily blown both teams out, but I think we have something like 6 field goals from inside the 20.
I guess its not a problem until it costs us a win, but it's definitely one of the biggest weaknesses on the team right now.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
ARhawk":36bmhlqp said:
We won today and last week against the Patriots, but in both games we just couldn't seem to score a touchdown in the red zone. Is it play calling, execution or what? Its so frustrating because we could have easily blown both teams out, but I think we have something like 6 field goals from inside the 20.
I guess its not a problem until it costs us a win, but it's definitely one of the biggest weaknesses on the team right now.

"We won today and last week against the Patriots".

Yes.

mikeak

Reaction score
Overly conservative

Missing FGs may ironically make us score more TDs as we have to get more aggressive

OP
OP
ARhawk

ARhawk

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":e8hzcb4h said:
ARhawk":e8hzcb4h said:

Yes.
Thank you for your input.
Im not complaining about anything. I just dont know why we cant seem to score when we get close to the goal line.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
ARhawk":1cpz1wui said:
FlyingGreg":1cpz1wui said:
ARhawk":1cpz1wui said:

Yes.
Thank you for your input.
Im not complaining about anything. I just dont know why we cant seem to score when we get close to the goal line.

No one has been afraid of our running game so they just flood the field with DB's to defend the pass.. is my guess.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
Our anemic red zone offense is all about protecting the ball.

It would be so easy to run a quick, timing pass to Jimmy. Just get the snap, set, and zip it to where Graham would be by his 3rd step. Almost every time that's either a TD or he gets interfered with and we start fresh from the 1 yard line.

But it's that 5% chance that the ball gets deflected and up for grabs that keeps Bev from calling it and Russ from throwing it. That's my theory anyway.

Also, my evil twin wonders how large that XLIX interception looms in Russ's deep recesses. :stirthepot:

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
HawkAroundTheClock":2tw9htxk said:
Our anemic red zone offense is all about protecting the ball.

It would be so easy to run a quick, timing pass to Jimmy. Just get the snap, set, and zip it to where Graham would be by his 3rd step. Almost every time that's either a TD or he gets interfered with and we start fresh from the 1 yard line.

But it's that 5% chance that the ball gets deflected and up for grabs that keeps Bev from calling it and Russ from throwing it. That's my theory anyway.

Also, my evil twin wonders how large that XLIX interception looms in Russ's deep recesses. :stirthepot:

I'm just hoping the reason Graham hasn't been in on 3rd and goal most of the season is to set up that pass to Russ. C'mon Bevell at least put him in as a decoy if nothing else.

"C'mon Bevell"

Ozzy

Reaction score
I used to think the same thing but I think coverage dictates why we go to Kearse so much. Other teams don't really respect him so he is the one on one matchup. It's not working so I would do something different. Try McEvoy or Richardson or a Prosise if he's healthy, something. Forcing it to Kearse isn't working.

sutz

Reaction score
Maybe because when you're leading, it doesn't make a lot of sense to risk a turnover just to pad some player's stats. It may be conservative, but it is smarter to extend the lead by 3 than to risk losing the ball, and possibly momentum, taking big risks to extend it by 7.

Ozzy

Reaction score
But our red zone struggles aren't always when were up and I don't think its conservatism honestly regardless. We take shots into the end zone we just don't seem to be successful when we do. I know teams focus on Graham but they did when he was in New Orleans as well and they found a way to scheme him open and we should be able to do the same. I'm just not sold that it's all because we are being conservative and hearing Russell talk about it after the game they want to do better there.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Could very well be true but we still need to find a way to use Graham who was the leagues best red zone target while in New Orleans better. We let other teams completely take him away and its not good enough.

Hawks46

Reaction score
We've been historically poor in the red zone. There were times we were above average (Beast mode) and stretches when we're really good, but for the most part we're a league average team in the red zone. This is with a myriad of different personnel groups.

So, the field gets condensed and teams don't respect the run and because Bevell.

NOLAHawk

Reaction score
With lynch we seemed to bull rush more and opened flat corner routes. Season till now has been finesse passing. Many of the plays are well defended and rushed which kills finesse. Rawls up the gut for a couple of downs here and there in RZ and Goal Line will pay off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Cyrus12":2l5d8uj4 said:
because they try to force it to Kearse....

Teams double team and bracket both Doug and Graham in the RZ, that's no secret.

I don't like it either, but that's the reason Russell consistently throws it to Kearse, he sees the single coverage and gives Jermaine a chance to make a play.............unfortunately he's slow, short and has hands of stone.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1vkgbxyf said:
Cyrus12":1vkgbxyf said:

I don't like it either, but that's the reason Russell consistently throws it to Kearse, he sees the single coverage and gives Jermaine a chance to make a play.............unfortunately he's slow, short and has hands of stone.

Which made me think as to why Wilson's pass is a tad off to Kearse... possibly, by the time WIlson goes through his progressions.. Graham..covered, Baldwin..covered, Lockett, covered..Kearse.. one or one. by that time, the line has collapsed and WIlson is scrambling to deliver Kearse the ball. Which of course, means, Kearse is getting a desperation pass and has little chance to recover it.

That said, perhaps a better scenario would be to have a 2nd TE, such as Willson wo doesn't need a lot of space to get separation, but can rely on his height and short space move's. I think players like Lockett and Richardson need space to get separation and red zone plays are not best suited for them.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":28fyblrq said:
Cyrus12":28fyblrq said:

The thing that is so frustrating is he drops open field catches regularly but then makes ridiculous back shoulder sideline catches which don't lead to any YAC.

I'm curious as to why we haven't seen Jimmy line up isolated where Kearse has been more often. He seems to get thrown into the cluster which just helps defenses cover less area. I can only recall a few times and I don't think he was even thrown to. If they want to still double him outside, that leaves a huge void in the middle. Even running a fade makes the safety help shade to the corner. Just seems it's clear defenses will allow 1 on 1 coverage with Kearse every time, and it works so far.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Bobblehead":1yok5p84 said:
Sgt. Largent":1yok5p84 said:
Cyrus12":1yok5p84 said:

Which made me think as to why Wilson's pass is a tad off to Kearse... possibly, by the time WIlson goes through his progressions.. Graham..covered, Baldwin..covered, Lockett, covered..Kearse.. one or one. by that time, the line has collapsed and WIlson is scrambling to deliver Kearse the ball. Which of course, means, Kearse is getting a desperation pass and has little chance to recover it.

That said, perhaps a better scenario would be to have a 2nd TE, such as Willson wo doesn't need a lot of space to get separation, but can rely on his height and short space move's. I think players like Lockett and Richardson need space to get separation and red zone plays are not best suited for them.

Yep.

Let's face it, other than Graham we don't have the two most important things that help you score TD's in the RZ........size and strength........and even Graham doesn't have great strength to get off blocks like Gronk or other big TE's.

I know it's frustrating, but we should be happy Russell's not careless with the ball in the RZ like so many other QB's are trying to cram balls into tight spaces and getting picked.

sutz

Reaction score
The thing is, we are a big play type offense that thrives on setting up and executing "explosive plays." Perhaps we are a bit weak in the red zone because we work more on scoring from outside of the RZ. ;)