Injuries happen...why can't we adjust?

Wizofwest

Reaction score
The Cowboys have been without their QB and are putting up points.

The Packers are missing a ton of people and have put 21 up in the first half.

Brady was out the first three games and he has come back on fire.

No excuses...the Seahawks should be doing better than they have been.

Jville

Reaction score
They have their programs.

Pete has his.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
So very true. We can't adjust on offense because we have a retard OC in charge of the offense and a stubborn head coach who acquiesces and allows it to continue. Wilson's injuries and a failure to invest adequately in the Oline are contributing factors to the ineptness, but you are correct-successful offenses find a way to stay consistent in their system while adapting to the strengths of the personnel they do have.

Successful coordinators also find a way to exploit the defense's weaknesses and to what the D is giving them in a game. Less successful coordinators will keep sticking with their script when it's not working and when the game's on the line, will opt for "surprise" as opposed to going with your absolute best players on the final do or die play. We saw that today and in SB 49.

kf3339

Reaction score
Jville":3qozsh5t said:

Pete has his.

YEP. And his program is to win or lose ugly. PC has absolutely no interest in winning big and/or going for the kill when he has a team down. It is getting really old for me.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
kf3339":4k4gj1d9 said:
Jville":4k4gj1d9 said:

Pete has his.

YEP. And his program is to win or lose ugly. PC has absolutely no interest in winning big and/or going for the kill when he has a team down. It is getting really old for me.

Some posters think the coaches are above reproach, so many sillies.

PETE HAS HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. :177692:

nategreat

Reaction score
kf3339":2limbgu5 said:
Jville":2limbgu5 said:

Pete has his.

I don't know about that, look at USC. They demolished teams and they won big. It might have more to do with the offensive coordinator and at times maybe the offense not executing.

Think about it. You think Pete doesn't want to score? Pretend you had a playbook you created and you assigned your friend the duty of simply choosing the right plays at the right time. But your friend was a moron and didn't...

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
You used examples of teams that have very good offensive lines. The Cowpies are pretty much plug and play for QBs and RBs with the OL. The Pack isn't far behind.

So yeah, the Seahawks can 'adjust' all you want, but if your LT and RT spots have weak sisters with 'depth' having the special meaning dropping off a ledge....

You need personnel that can execute the adustments that you want to make. I don't see them on the roster.

Sent from my SC-02H using Tapatalk

OkieHawk

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":1wzeqlfe said:
You used examples of teams that have very good offensive lines. The Cowpies are pretty much plug and play for QBs and RBs with the OL. The Pack isn't far behind.

So yeah, the Seahawks can 'adjust' all you want, but if your LT and RT spots have weak sisters with 'depth' having the special meaning dropping off a ledge....

You need personnel that can execute the adustments that you want to make. I don't see them on the roster.

Sent from my SC-02H using Tapatalk

This kind of opened my eyes a bit, but we are really only bad in the OL in run blocking. Our pass protection is only slightly worse than Dallas.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

kf3339

Reaction score
nategreat":e4itqh8j said:
kf3339":e4itqh8j said:
Jville":e4itqh8j said:

Pete has his.

I don't know about that, look at USC. They demolished teams and they won big. It might have more to do with the offensive coordinator and at times maybe the offense not executing.

Think about it. You think Pete doesn't want to score? Pretend you had a playbook you created and you assigned your friend the duty of simply choosing the right plays at the right time. But your friend was a moron and didn't...

And who is in charge of employing that "MORON"?

You don't remember the many times Marshawn asked PC if they could score more points during a game. Because I sure as hell do! I could care less what happened at USC. He also had a serious advantage in recruiting the very best college players to his team. You don't get that advantage in the NFL. That is where having the very best OC's under you is crucial. Other teams have recruited our DC's, but no one has "ANY" interest in Bevell or really even Cable. Why do you think that is the case?

I put this whole issue on Pete Carroll. No one else.

DHawk

Reaction score
Cyrus12":2aobyn3k said:
no depth.

This. Our starting O-line is trash and so is the depth. The drop off from starter to backup isn't that far, in a bad way.

D-line is starting to thin out now too with Bennett and McD down.

Depth matters.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with our coaching in this game. A couple of weak calls by the refs and the botched field goal attempt at the end of the half were the difference in picking up the win. Go Bears.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
In 2013, we had "depth" out the kazoo! It is clear to me that some NFL teams can play well with important players sidelined by injuries; however, not the Seahawks in 2016. It seems that when we are "running on all 8 cylinders" we are "world beaters". However, pull a couple of plug wires and we can "barely idle".

scrummymustard

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":16x21mbp said:
Nothing wrong with our coaching in this game. A couple of weak calls by the refs and the botched field goal attempt at the end of the half were the difference in picking up the win. Go Bears.

Take your homer glasses off. How can you watch that game and say with a straight face that there was nothing wrong with coaching?

It's ok to admit when we look like trash, which we have in over half of our games.

nash72

Reaction score
Its frustrating. On one hand you have Pete who did win us a superbowl, so you have to give him that, but on the other hand you have the moronic Bevell who lost us a superbowl and runs the most vanilla, predictable offense in the league and it keeps us from winning games. I keep hearing that its Petes scheme, but you know what, Petes scheme sucks. Pete isnt an offensive minded coach and he really should have no business sticking his nose in it. Let somebody that has a clue take over the play calling and if the team doesnt seem to be doing well, then take action. I've never seen a team that was being labeled a dynasty just a few years ago have such a short window. It keeps getting worse every year and our superbowl days are over unless something is done on the offensive side of the ball.

When Carroll hangs it up, its going to be frightening how quick Bevell is ran out of town. Paul Allen should have done it after the worst call ever took place in the superbowl, but i'm sure old Pete pleaded for him to keep his job.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Cyrus12":9u1z090p said:
no depth.

Which TBF, is kind of the strategy a little bit.

I know people are angry because the Seahawks lost yesterday (so I want to tread lightly and don't want to overstate things) but as I see it, it's the combination of three things (although I'll preface by saying I think they'll be fine):

1) The Seahawks landed an insane amount of Top 5 talent at the same time, all of whom are now on their second deals. I don't think this was by design, but they took a "superstar approach" and didn't let a single one of these guys walk -- it's the type of thing you see in the NBA (hold onto your superstars and treat everyone else as replaceable) but don't see as much in the NFL. Basically, to employ this strategy you need to "steal" from depth and from your average to above average starters in order to invest in your superstars. So, if the question is where is the Seahawks' depth, the answer is that it's tied up in the contracts of Wilson, Sherman, ET, Graham, Wagner, Bennett, Baldwin (top 5 slot receiver IMO) and so on. This strategy also prevents them from reloading for depth and average talent at the other positions in FA (why Hawks fans were stuck hoping that J'Marcus Webb wouldn't actually be J'Marcus Webb).

2) As a winning team, the Seahawks have for three or four years had to deal with people overpaying for their marginal talent on the FA market. They lost another five starters to FA this year, all of whom (except for Okung, but that's on him) were overpaid. If I were paid to be a football writer I'd go back and look at starters lost to FA over the last five years by team. I suspect the Hawks would be #1 in this measure. You could measure overpayment by FAs who were still starting on their new teams two years after being signed. The Hawks would likely be #1 on this team too (guys poached from them who then get benched or cut because they were decent starters who got paid like very good starters).

3) After going on a historic draft run from 2010-2012, so far from 2013-2016 they've drafted pretty poorly (and yes, it's obviously not that fair to comment on 2016 picks yet, and probably even 2015 picks). Really the only potential difference makers you can point to in four years of drafting are Frank Clark and Tyler Lockett, and they're still both role players. More damaging is the four years of misses on average talent (for the Hawks' "superstar" strategy to work they just need to draft about 2.5 average starters per year -- around top 16 at the position -- and so far they haven't done that over the past four years).

TWO WAYS TO LOOK AT THIS:

1) People give the Seahawks a lot of credit for how many UDFAs they employ, but that has as much to do with 1, 2, and 3 above as it does with them hitting on UDFAs.

2) If you take the top 8 or 9 players on the Seahawks their top 8 is IMO much, much, better than any other team in the NFL, and I really don't think it's that close. For the remaining 44 or 45 players on the active roster though, we're basically talking about the 9ers or the Browns. In that type of situation if you've got two of those top 8 out (Bennett and Kam) and another one majorly hobbled at the QB position (Wilson) you're basically going from a top team in the NFL to merely an above average one.