The Radish's Memorial Game Day Forum

AsylumGuido

Reaction score
I am so touched by this. I had quite a few private conversations with Radish in the few years before we lost our very special friend. He told me all about how he tried to convince his own son that a fan of the Saints (Me) could be a friend a respected during a game week. His son just couldn't get it. Radish's wife did as I heard from her, as well. I have received facebook notifications well since he passed from her. Over that short period of our lives he touched mine and I will never forget him.

Until five minutes ago I never knew that y'all had respected his memory in this way. I am honored to have been his friend for that time exchanging mostly humor and other concerns. For those of you that never had an opportunity to talk with him please reach out to someone that did. Perhaps a bit of him will reach you as well and make us all better.

Happy and Sad

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
I kept all my direct messages from Les. I can't delete them.

I still read them...everything from telling me to chill out in a thread to cracking on me for being Navy (he was a Coastie).

And the ones more personal that showed me his heart and passion for the Seahawks.

He is sorely missed.

nanomoz

Reaction score
You've always been a great poster and class act. It doesnt surprise me that you an Radish were pals.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Ugh, these onions are making my eyes water.

Nice post, Guido. It's safe to say he's missed dearly around here. I just went through some of my PMs from years past and came across my last conversation with him. Les was something else.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I can't think of an opposing team fan that has been more of a friend here and class act than you my friend.

Your Continuing Journeys of the Hawk Hat thread is legendary (for those who are newer to the site and haven't seen it do yourself a favor and click on the link below) and Les thought the world of you. Thank you for your kind words...His passing has left quite the hole here, but the memories and what he meant to so many of us here will continue to live on.

http://www.seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=86214

OP
OP
AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":2r3dkk4f said:
I kept all my direct messages from Les. I can't delete them.

I still read them...everything from telling me to chill out in a thread to cracking on me for being Navy (he was a Coastie).

And the ones more personal that showed me his heart and passion for the Seahawks.

He is sorely missed.

I did the same thing, Greg, and even created an email folder for the few we shared to live.

OP
OP
AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido

Reaction score
Aros":315mgmim said:
I can't think of an opposing team fan that has been more of a friend here and class act than you my friend.

Your Continuing Journeys of the Hawk Hat thread is legendary (for those who are newer to the site and haven't seen it do yourself a favor and click on the link below) and Les thought the world of you. Thank you for your kind words...His passing has left quite the hole here, but the memories and what he meant to so many of us here will continue to live on.

http://www.seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=86214

Thanks, Aros! And, yes, please, everyone feel free to check out the Hawk Hat thread tagged in my signature and also check out the thread with the sampling of my son, Cameron's, original music.

OP
OP
AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":8k12a5dg said:
Ugh, these onions are making my eyes water.

Nice post, Guido. It's safe to say he's missed dearly around here. I just went through some of my PMs from years past and came across my last conversation with him. Les was something else.

I had a few of those onion reactions when I first saw the Memorial Forum.

pmedic920

Reaction score
AsylumGuido":11ah4cm5 said:
pmedic920":11ah4cm5 said:
Yep, Ole Dude was one of a kind.

I'll just leave this here.
D7d57443f9e3fb07f3771053eb9e3554

:{)

He would absolutely appreciate that!

You don't know the story do you?

I'll give you the short version.

MakersMark is what I drink when I drink Whiskey. They produced a "very limited" run with the Seahawk colors. They were only available regionally. I could not get my hands on a bottle here in Texas.
Several people including Les tried hard to get me a bottle, and Les went to great lengths, above and beyond what I could ever ask of anybody. All was to no avail.
One day I got an email from Les, his Daughter that was in the wine/spirits industry had gifted him a bottle. He sent pictures. I was so jealous, and he wanted to give me the bottle but as it was gifted to him by a loved one, he couldn't.
I understood, and was happy that at least he (my friend) had one.

We lost Les, it was an unexpected tragedy for all that knew him.
A few weeks after Les's passing, I was contacted by Darlene (Les's wife/widow), she asked if I was the guy that Les had been trying to get the bottle of whiskey for?
I told her yes.
She asked me if I would like to have "his" bottle, and told me that she knew Les would want me to have it.

I was in shock, I was humbled and honored.

The bottle of whiskey that I posted the picture of, is Les's that was given to me by Darlene.

Now I need a dam hanky.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
.NET is a community, but it will never be the same without our #1 greeter who befriended everyone. I miss him every day in here.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Trenchbroom":17ob5d5k said:
.NET is a community, but it will never be the same without our #1 greeter who befriended everyone. I miss him every day in here.

Well put. He really was like the doorman who not only greeted every single person with a warm smile but genuinely wanted to get to know everyone and their story. It wasn't good enough to just say "Hello Sam, how are you today?"

Les was more, "Heya Sam! How's those two beautiful girls of yours doing? Are you still working on that ol' troubled boat of yours? What is your daughter now, 15? Time to get the shotgun ready!"

It was never enough for Les to just say hello. He had a genuine interest in you as a person and your life. You just can't fake that and it's damn rare in this world. Insurmountable loss.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Guido, you have to be the best opposing team fan to ever grace these boards. I am so glad you are part of this community and your respect/love for Les speaks volumes. We miss him everyday. I remember when he passed. I cried all day. Right now I am on the verge of crying just realizing how gracious and loved he was even to fans of other teams. He was truly a special human being.

OP
OP
AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido

Reaction score
pmedic920":16evsz6d said:
AsylumGuido":16evsz6d said:
pmedic920":16evsz6d said:

MakersMark is what I drink when I drink Whiskey. They produced a "very limited" run with the Seahawk colors. They were only available regionally. I could not get my hands on a bottle here in Texas.
Several people including Les tried hard to get me a bottle, and Les went to great lengths, above and beyond what I could ever ask of anybody. All was to no avail.
One day I got an email from Les, his Daughter that was in the wine/spirits industry had gifted him a bottle. He sent pictures. I was so jealous, and he wanted to give me the bottle but as it was gifted to him by a loved one, he couldn't.

A few weeks after Les's passing, I was contacted by Darlene (Les's wife/widow), she asked if I was the guy that Les had been trying to get the bottle of whiskey for?
I told her yes.
She asked me if I would like to have "his" bottle, and told me that she knew Les would want me to have it.

The bottle of whiskey that I posted the picture of, is Les's that was given to me by Darlene.

Now I need a dam hanky.

That is so Les and Darlene.

OP
OP
AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":37luegml said:
Guido, you have to be the best opposing team fan to ever grace these boards. I am so glad you are part of this community and your respect/love for Les speaks volumes. We miss him everyday. I remember when he passed. I cried all day. Right now I am on the verge of crying just realizing how gracious and loved he was even to fans of other teams. He was truly a special human being.

Yes he was. It was incredible the among of time he gave to just to be a friend, a friend I never met in person, but felt like I had known for years.

A

Anonymous

pmedic920":1zk27ao7 said:
AsylumGuido":1zk27ao7 said:
pmedic920":1zk27ao7 said:

I told her yes.

Now I need a dam hanky.

Great story, but what Lon's not telling you is the bigger and more horrifying story that happened shortly after...

Rob (L80) and I were bored as hell one day, so we drive out to Livingston. We sneak into his crib and stole that bad boy from him. We had it in our possession for probably a week before he notices it gone and the phone rings. He was so pissed when he found out we had it, he drove over here and starting screaming at us so hard, his mustache was flailing around like a party favor. He was really beside himself.

After some pushing and shoving, some handgun pointing, and a timely 911-call from the neighbor lady, we got him to calm down enough to tell him we were sorry, it was only a prank, and we gave it back to him. It was like we had just returned a kidnapped child or something.

It gets worse though...

On his way back out to his yellow Hummer to leave, he stumbles, and accidentally drops the bottle on the concrete. It exploded into a million pieces and there's whiskey and broken glass (and little bits of blue and green wax) all over the place. He stops, gets on his knees, and cries like I have never heard a man cry in my life. It was like a scene from a Scorsese flick with John Williams music playing. It felt like getting a wedgy in front of the entire school or something. Horrible. That was when he went for the gun, and started shooting.

So, after a while of running, hiding and dodging bullets, he was out of ammunition. So, we rush him, tackle him, and tie him to the shop lift. Then Rob heads to the liquor store to buy another bottle of Maker's Mark while I get an ear lashing for 30 minutes about how my grandkids need to worry, shit like that. Rob mixes up some colored wax and we get the situation squared away like it was brand new, but the genie was already out of the bottle. Quite literally. I think it looks better than the original, but hey.

He has still not spoken to us since, and to this day, we look under our cars for bombs before we crank the ignition. I mean, once a highly trained gun owner, tactical expert, and EMT medical dude gets scorned, it's only a matter of time. They know people and stuff.

Lon, how many times do we need to apologize man? :34853_doh:

:mrgreen:

RIP Les! :les:

OP
OP
AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":2nkl3fkk said:
pmedic920":2nkl3fkk said:
AsylumGuido":2nkl3fkk said:
pmedic920":2nkl3fkk said:

I told her yes.

Now I need a dam hanky.

Great story, but what Lon's not telling you is the bigger and more horrifying story that happened shortly after...

Rob (L80) and I were bored as hell one day, so we drive out to Livingston. We sneak into his crib and stole that bad boy from him. We had it in our possession for probably a week before he notices it gone and the phone rings. He was so pissed when he found out we had it, he drove over here and starting screaming at us so hard, his mustache was flailing around like a party favor. He was really beside himself.

After some pushing and shoving, some handgun pointing, and a timely 911-call from the neighbor lady, we got him to calm down enough to tell him we were sorry, it was only a prank, and we gave it back to him. It was like we had just returned a kidnapped child or something.

It gets worse though...

On his way back out to his yellow Hummer to leave, he stumbles, and accidentally drops the bottle on the concrete. It exploded into a million pieces and there's whiskey and broken glass (and little bits of blue and green wax) all over the place. He stops, gets on his knees, and cries like I have never heard a man cry in my life. It was like a scene from a Scorsese flick with John Williams music playing. It felt like getting a wedgy in front of the entire school or something. Horrible. That was when he went for the gun, and started shooting.

So, after a while of running, hiding and dodging bullets, he was out of ammunition. So, we rush him, tackle him, and tie him to the shop lift. Then Rob heads to the liquor store to buy another bottle of Maker's Mark while I get an ear lashing for 30 minutes about how my grandkids need to worry, shit like that. Rob mixes up some colored wax and we get the situation squared away like it was brand new, but the genie was already out of the bottle. Quite literally. I think it looks better than the original, but hey.

He has still not spoken to us since, and to this day, we look under our cars for bombs before we crank the ignition. I mean, once a highly trained gun owner, tactical expert, and EMT medical dude gets scorned, it's only a matter of time. They know people and stuff.

LOL!!!

pmedic920

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":3fwwtrvq said:
pmedic920":3fwwtrvq said:
AsylumGuido":3fwwtrvq said:
pmedic920":3fwwtrvq said:

I told her yes.

Now I need a dam hanky.

It gets worse though...

You said you'd never tell that story.

Actually it is funny, and I appreciate the time you spent on it.

To be perfectly honest though , I think it's Ill placed.

Les did have a great sense of humor, and loved a good joke.
My hope is, that this thread will be more about Les, and less about you, Rob, and I.
0ebacca5f7209ba8f41521986aa02e53.jpg

You probably remember the details of how Les got all this swag better than I do. It's a cool " Les" story if you have time to tell it.