A Championship Opportunity

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Ever since Pete Carroll became our head coach, one of the primary mantras of this team has been the notion that every game is a championship opportunity. No one game is bigger than any other, that if you treat every game like a championship, no matchup seems too big, or too important in relation to any other.

It's a solid tactic which strengthens the collective psychological mindset of the team which is supposed to eliminate "playing down" to certain teams while "playing up" for other teams depending on real or perceived strengths. This way, the Seahawks play fired up and solid football (theoretically) in every game they play.

As fans, we know certain teams and games may suggest a bit more importance in relation to seeding. Of course, every game IS important ultimately, but there are tangible scenarios at play that you pay special attention to such as division and conference matchups, etc.

This Sunday's game against the Falcons truly IS a championship opportunity for the Seahawks. Arguably one of our biggest competitors this year for #1 seeding, a victory this Sunday could be the difference in January. The Falcons are the hottest offensive team in the NFL this year and a solid win over them would go a long way in establishing the Seahawks as an NFC Powerhouse. At 3-1 with the injuries we've endured, we have already shown we are still one of the NFL elite teams but this is an opportunity to establish ourselves as one of the primary teams to beat in the NFC.

We hear Russell say it every week..."This is a championship opportunity for us..." The repetition rivals "One game at a time, one play at a time..." "Let's go 1-1 this week.." et al to undoubtedly the eye rolling of the media.

This is a game to prove that mentality is not only repetitive but effective.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Yup, I wish I could be there to help make this game the loudest one of the year to date... It will be the loudest of the year in my living room though, that's for sure. I would love nothing more for my Bday than a Seahawks win over a tough and well coached Falcons team!!!
:irishdrinkers:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Aros":2jjm4rk7 said:
We hear Russell say it every week..."This is a championship opportunity for us..." The repetition rivals "One game at a time, one play at a time..." "Let's go 1-1 this week.." et al to undoubtedly the eye rolling of the media..

I lol at Russell's robotic cliches, but isn't that what you want out of your QB? I know I do, I want robotic, I want steady, I want non-emotional, I want businesslike.

Let Sherm and Doug run their mouths, but when it comes to the most important position on the field? I'll take uninteresting and cliche all damn day.

hawker84

Reaction score
It's a statement week no doubt, one way or the other for both teams...... playoff atmosphere football at the CLink. doesn't get any better.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":30tuxqzw said:
Aros":30tuxqzw said:
We hear Russell say it every week..."This is a championship opportunity for us..." The repetition rivals "One game at a time, one play at a time..." "Let's go 1-1 this week.." et al to undoubtedly the eye rolling of the media..

I lol at Russell's robotic cliches, but isn't that what you want out of your QB? I know I do, I want robotic, I want steady, I want non-emotional, I want businesslike.

Let Sherm and Doug run their mouths, but when it comes to the most important position on the field? I'll take uninteresting and cliche all damn day.

Yep, agree. I will take Robot Russ all day long and especially twice on Sundays (and sometimes Mondays and Thursdays).

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
hawker84":3amoyf98 said:
It's a statement week no doubt, one way or the other for both teams...... playoff atmosphere football at the CLink. doesn't get any better.

No doubt about it. The weather may play a factor as well so it will REALLY feel like January Playoffs this Sunday. This is going to be a blast. Get my rain gear on, lube up (you know to stay warm and all that) pregame and scream my lungs out for 3 hours. Aaaaaaah.

chris98251

Reaction score
When you play with the same high expectations the stage becomes more irrelevant as does the competition, I think being your best and expecting the best from yourself and team mates every day translates to the game because your not pushing to achieve something that's a reach, you have already reached it.

Largent80

Reaction score
Aros":3grjamht said:
hawker84":3grjamht said:

No doubt about it. The weather may play a factor as well so it will REALLY feel like January Playoffs this Sunday. This is going to be a blast. Get my rain gear on, lube up (you know to stay warm and all that) pregame and scream my lungs out for 3 hours. Aaaaaaah.

When you say lube up, I look at your avatar.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
chris98251":1wrxhbrj said:
When you play with the same high expectations the stage becomes more irrelevant as does the competition, I think being your best and expecting the best from yourself and team mates every day translates to the game because your not pushing to achieve something that's a reach, you have already reached it.

You just nailed Pete's philosophy..........and other winning organizations like the Patriots.

When you're at the top, you don't consider any game more important than another like fans and doffuses like Rex Ryan who spends all his time telling everyone how he's going to beat the Patriots. Cause after you lose, there's nowhere to go. You just put all your eggs in this one basket, and lost.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1y98ndt9 said:
chris98251":1y98ndt9 said:

You just nailed Pete's philosophy..........and other winning organizations like the Patriots.

When you're at the top, you don't consider any game more important than another like fans and doffuses like Rex Ryan who spends all his time telling everyone how he's going to beat the Patriots. Cause after you lose, there's nowhere to go. You just put all your eggs in this one basket, and lost.

Well said. Thanks.

Largent80

Reaction score
You know what?.......So many variables in football with injuries, game conditions and matchups that each game is different.

Last game people said sit Russ, that we can afford to lose to an AFC team etc.

This game is important for the Hawks, mostly because of the NFC seedings later on, but to make sure teams know that the NFC path needs to roll through Seattle, to me is the big statement for this game.

Atradees

Reaction score
The Browns say before each game....this is another opportunity to draft real high next year.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Atradees":3ifqgp68 said:
The Browns say before each game....this is another opportunity to draft real high next year.

And the niners are in the competition now. :twisted: :rumble:

RW92

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":2ckhbjm1 said:
Yep, this one's a biggie. I think we're going to find out a whole lot about the 2016 Seattle Seahawks this coming Sunday.

I live on the East Coast but will be cheering my heart out for Russell and Company. It could very well set the tone for the rest of the year. For those who are going to the game, cheer long and hard.

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":2of6ewmu said:
Atradees":2of6ewmu said:

We'll see if Colon makes an ass of himself this week. More likely than not. Can't wait for the Bills to put a whoopin' on that guy.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
PlinytheCenter":2ium15hz said:
Seahawkfan80":2ium15hz said:
Atradees":2ium15hz said:

We'll see if Colon makes an ass of himself this week. More likely than not. Can't wait for the Bills to put a whoopin' on that guy.

I can say it......Go Bills............... :pukeface: