Defensive Pressure against the Falcons

RW92

Reaction score
I feel good about Sunday. Especially on offense. I think we will move the ball down the field passing to Baldwin, Graham, P. Rich. and yes that new man on the block McEvoy.

The biggest test and my only concern is getting to the quarterback on a consistent basis. This will be the game to see how much mayhem we can create in the backfield and cause problems for Mat Ryan. It's an October test for the Seahawks to see if they can rise up and overcome the challenge of a playoff contender. Because that's what this game is; a challenge. A playoff game in October that will send a message to the rest of the league where we stand. We must play stronger, faster, and smarter than our competition. Most important we must create an edge from the outset and never let up.

Lastly if you look at the teams who move on in January, it is those teams that establish their presence in the backfield of the opposing team. You must have a pass rush that dictates the temperament and tempo. Yes I know stopping the run is paramount as well, but I'm anxious to see what coach Richard has planned to alter their passing attack.

See you Sunday!

Mick063

Reaction score
I think this is the week where Frank Clark enters the national discussion.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Mick063":3uef9zn6 said:

A two sack game like he had aginst the Rams would put him on the map. Just constant pressure would be nice.

ludakrishna

Reaction score
Not to burst the bubble, but the ATL OL is playing extremely well. Denver got very little pressure on Matt Ryan and the Broncos have much better pass rushers than us. This game will be decided by Mohammad Sanu vs whichever CB we have opposite him. I think this will be a frustrating game because of the lack of pressure from our side. Kris Richard is going to be forced into blitzing and that's when we will find out whether our CBs can cover.

hawker84

Reaction score
Pressure on Ryan is a must, I don't think they necessarily have to get home, but they need to get a bunch of hurries and don't allow the long stuff down field to Julio develop. And please for the love, cover the backs and tight ends better. Coleman is a good open field runner, and dangerous receiver out of the backfield, they've got to keep him under wraps and minimize those draw plays and dump offs. But as long as we minimize the deep stuff, I think ATL's scheme plays well into what we do on defense.

I don't think ATL's defense is anywhere near stout enough to stop our O consistently if they're on like they were against the jets. Especially if Lockett is back to full speed.

pcbball12

Reaction score
hawker84":2rqelsg0 said:
Pressure on Ryan is a must, I don't think they necessarily have to get home, but they need to get a bunch of hurries and don't allow the long stuff down field to Julio develop. And please for the love, cover the backs and tight ends better. Jacquizz Rogers is a Heck of an open field runner, they've got to keep him under wraps and minimize those draw plays and dump offs. But as long as we minimize the deep stuff, I think ATL's scheme plays well into what we do on defense.

I don't think ATL's defense is anywhere near stout enough to stop our O consistently if they're on like they were against the jets. Especially if Lockett is back to full speed.
Good post, except Jacquizz Rogers plays for the Bucs now. Their RBs are Freeman and Coleman. But to your point, they are both dangerous in the passing game. Coleman way more explosive though.

hawker84

Reaction score
pcbball12":325fpn45 said:
hawker84":325fpn45 said:
Pressure on Ryan is a must, I don't think they necessarily have to get home, but they need to get a bunch of hurries and don't allow the long stuff down field to Julio develop. And please for the love, cover the backs and tight ends better. Jacquizz Rogers is a Heck of an open field runner, they've got to keep him under wraps and minimize those draw plays and dump offs. But as long as we minimize the deep stuff, I think ATL's scheme plays well into what we do on defense.

Good post, except Jacquizz Rogers plays for the Bucs now. Their RBs are Freeman and Coleman. But to your point, they are both dangerous in the passing game. Coleman way more explosive though.

I meant Coleman, caught me before I had a chance to edit. :2thumbs:

Ozzy

Reaction score
Mick063":7sq6g1dw said:

Me too. Predicting a big day from Clark.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yep, I don't give a crap what Atlanta has done in other games. IF they somehow come and beat the Hawks at the House of Noise, then I'll be impressed. Should be a great game, but our D line is just fine, regardless who they play against.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
This is a game where Avril really needs to step up and make the kind of impact we've seen the last couple of years. He has been one of the most underwhelming players on the team to my eyes this year. I agree, if we do not get consistent pressure it's gonna be exceedingly hard to win this game. Also have to capitalize on any turnover chance. No interceptions through your hands or watching while the offense recovers their own fumble

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
All I know is that I better be really impressed with Richard's game plan after the game Sunday.

Largent80

Reaction score
I think the key is our LB's. They throw a lot of RB passes and that falls squarely on their shoulders. That and Ryan gets the ball out quick.

Hawks46

Reaction score
The two major things we're going to need to win are:

pressure on Ryan (like others have said). Not just sacking him, but hitting him and making him move off of his spot. he doesn't like it as he's a rhythm QB.

establishing the run game on offense. If we can keep Atlanta's offense off the field, it limits their scoring opportunities. It also keeps our pass rushers fresh into the 4th quarter.

Like Largent80 said above, we're going to need to limit the underneath stuff to the RB's. Atlanta didn't really attack downfield against the Broncos, they killed them underneath then started hitting them over the top. Most of their big plays were all YAC from 8-10 yard passes. It also allows Ryan to get the ball out very quick. I'd love to see Wagner or Wright jump one of those passes and get a pick.

summesm

Reaction score
austinslater25":2aysrfer said:
Mick063":2aysrfer said:

Me too. Predicting a big day from Clark.
Hope his hamstring is ok . Coming off bye week and did not practice today . Only weds but already had week rest. Having monster year hope for best.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
If it's raining I doubt we see a ton of yards from Russ.

Either way, I think it's going to be the running game that gives the advantage to the Seahawks.