Schneider could make statement with Bennett and Kam

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Found this segment from Dave Wyman interesting. And I have to say, I agree this would be a very strong statement to send to the team. I would fully be in favor of JS doing something like this.

"If you really want to send a statement to everyone else, if he were to (restructure the contract of) Bennett and not Kam Chancellor, Michael Bennett showed up on time," he said, referencing Chancellor's holdout that lasted through the first two weeks of the regular season. "Yes, (Bennett) complained ... (but) he was here, he showed up, he worked hard, and also he had a really good season. A really good season."

http://mynorthwest.com/292/2898860/...ement-by-rewarding-Bennett-and-not-Chancellor

DHawk

Reaction score
I agree, it would send a hell of a statement. I feel like Kam wasn't exactly his "enforcer" self this season either, which doesn't help his cause.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Kam should have left his stubbornness on the field in this case. I'd really be interested to know where the idea to hold out halfway through his contract came from. That was extremely ill-advised move, which cost him in so many ways. He was extremely lucky to dodge the season-ending injury bullet after missing all of TC, some regular season games, then jumping in at full speed. The broken hand in the Panthers game was actually fortunate, compared to what could have happened. This also adds to the mound of evidence that suggests a player won't have a very good season after missing so much, unless you are a rare case like Walter Jones. Also, let's not forget the effect this had on his teammates even though most of them were savvy enough not to let it on.

Above all, what we've seen of his personality, work ethic, etc prior to the holdout would not suggest such a selfish and nonsensical move. Oh well, yes paying Bennett should definitely come first, but I wouldn't extend him until a year out.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Pretty much everyone I have talked to agrees that is how it should play out. In fact I think we need to get with Kam early and determine if this is going to be an issue for him because if it is then it is time to part ways. Love him but he is not more important than the team.

IRC it was John Clayton saying you don't move on from Kam and Lynch in the same off season. This is a brotherhood was his reasoning. I don't agree with that at all. First and foremost this is a team and will only be successful if the leaders portray a team first attitude. Pete and John need to reinforce this. Making tough decisions and setting examples is equally important to buying in and allowing the inmates to run the asylum is detrimental to a team.

Ultimately I believe Pete very much respects Kam's leadership as much as his play on the field. If Kam is willing to put the team first and move forward I think this takes care of itself but if not I hope Pete and John make the tough decision to move on.

Wizofwest

Reaction score
I believe players outplay their contracts. When they do they have the right to hold out for more money. But it is not that simple. Contracts are signed for multiple years. So if a player wants a a raise after 2 years of a 5 year contract, that is too soon. A player has to choose between long term security and top dollar on a shorter contract with the opportunity to sign a new contract sooner. You don't get both.
So I agree with the way Michael went about asking for more money. No holdout, worked hard, proved he was and is worth more money. Kam, while it was his right to holdout, ultimately damaged his ask for more money by missing two games, at best giving the perception his absence cost the Hawks two games, and not playing to his own high standard.
So send the message, pay Michael, Kam needs to get back to playing like we know he can. If he does, then he will have earned the money he wants. I hope he gets it done, because when he is on his game he is one of the most intimidating players in the NFL.

Go Hawks!

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Doug Baldwin has outperformed his contract. Should he hold out and demand more money?

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I think this would be teetering on something very bad. There were already the rumors the FO played favorites regarding Russ.. I don't know if you want to do that by giving Bennett more money and not Kam. I think if you want to give Bennett a bump you almost have to trade/cut Kam.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
Personally, I don't think we, as fans, will ever really know the true reason that Kam held out. Money, injury, bent feelings over a FA signing, all speculation.

I don't know how the other players would react to a Bennett "bonus" if you will. That could also backfire. It may get them to show up but it could also make them nag about how much more they should be paid. This kind of stuff only leads to a bad locker room atmosphere.

I do agree that they need to maintain a controlling hold of the players and show them who is the boss. Everybody is expendable with the exception of the QB (so long as he has shown himself to be the rare type). I think RW fits that catagory right now. Kam has shown himself to be "beaten" this year. TEs were killing him. If he played for the Patriots he'd be gone by the end of February, one way or another.

OP
OP
HawkFan72

HawkFan72

Reaction score
joeseahawks":e5nfkkd6 said:
Doug Baldwin has outperformed his contract. Should he hold out and demand more money?

I wouldn't be surprised at all if he did. He has one year left on his deal, so that is the time when players normally start asking for extensions. Doug probably isn't the best example for your point.

raisethe3

Reaction score
I agree with that quote. Bennett may complain, but at least he showed up and put in an admirable effort unlike Kam.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
You can be sure that no matter what comes forth from the FO, a statement will be made regarding these players. Based on previous posts.....50% of the posters here will be mighty pissed! :roll:

kearly

Reaction score
I would be a little surprised if Seattle touched either contract. I wouldn't mind seeing Bennett getting something though, he's criminally underpaid and has been a good soldier. Adding another year to his deal wouldn't be the worst thing ever.

I guess in a way, I could see Kam getting something too. It would be a statement to the team and to everyone else that all is forgiven with Kam. Pete has recently made statements about how he views Kam as being a Seahawk for a long time to come.

kobebryant

Reaction score
joeseahawks":1gooemug said:

Yes he should. He is entering the last year of his deal, will never have more leverage than he does now, and probably shouldn't step on a field again until he has an extension secured.

massari

Reaction score
If they give Bennett a raise, it's only fair to give everyone else one too. Baldwin, Avril, Lockett, Rawls ect are all playing above their pay grade as well.

Where do you draw the line?

Hawks46

Reaction score
I think you have to reward Bennett after this year.

It's one thing to reward him for showing up on time and working his ass off, but the Seahawks under Schneider and Pete and made it a statement that they reward guys who produce and do things the Seahawks way. Bennett had a incredible year this year and to be honest, is one of the most disruptive DLmen in the game right now. He's versatile, and you hear opposing OC's talk about him before games as the guy they have to watch.

The other thing is that Bennett has less time left on his deal. Chancellor chose to hold out damn near right away after he signed a big contract. If I'm not mistaken, Bennett has what, 2 years left on his ? Maybe 1. Either way, he's played out more of his contract than Kam has.

The other big issue is that you honestly can't reward Kam after the season he had. Not just the fact that he held out, but the fact that he honestly had an average to poor year. So now we're looking at a guy that played a year above what he got paid, and a year below what he got paid.

The FO can't pay Kam because players would look at it like he was getting a pay bump after a poor season due to his being unhappy and holding out the previous year.

And lastly, to be cold hearted about it, we now have McCray on the squad, who backed up Kam very ably last season. It honestly help that we have a viable alternative. No, he's not Chancellor, but neither was Kam last year compared to previous years. McCray compared to Kam last year gives us similar production but much better value. And let's not forget, McCray is a younger player that hadn't gotten a lot of reps in KC outside of ST. He could get better under Pete's and Richard's tutelage.

OP
OP
HawkFan72

HawkFan72

Reaction score
massari":1omqx0fk said:
If they give Bennett a raise, it's only fair to give everyone else one too. Baldwin, Avril, Lockett, Rawls ect are all playing above their pay grade as well.

Where do you draw the line?

Well Lockett and Rawls can't get raises for another 2 years. So that makes your line a little easier.