Schneider could make statement with Bennett and Kam

Seanhawk

Reaction score
kearly":fluvx3p1 said:
I would be a little surprised if Seattle touched either contract. I wouldn't mind seeing Bennett getting something though, he's criminally underpaid and has been a good soldier. Adding another year to his deal wouldn't be the worst thing ever.

I guess in a way, I could see Kam getting something too. It would be a statement to the team and to everyone else that all is forgiven with Kam. Pete has recently made statements about how he views Kam as being a Seahawk for a long time to come.

Criminally underpaid? The last I checked he chose to sign with the Hawks after receiving a higher offer from the Bears. I just don't see how someone can seriously ask for more money when they had the opportunity to get more money and didn't take it. If you want your deal looked at after each season, sign a 1 year deal.

Believe me, I'm happy Bennett was a "good soldier" and showed up to TC on time and was almost unblockable the entire season, but let's not be so quick to reward someone for fulfilling their contractual obligations.

massari

Reaction score
HawkFan72":2ixdy42z said:
Well Lockett and Rawls can't get raises for another 2 years. So that makes your line a little easier.
Two down two to go. I'm sure some people think Avril doesn't deserve a raise so I guess that leaves just Baldwin lol.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
I suspect they will at least shop Kam. The "team leader " is double edged. They can also have a negative effect.

Even the beat writers noted he was much less approachable for interviews and such.

MB. They probably will give a little performance $$ to what Avril will get. The problem is if you give him a new contract what about Sherman ? Thomas ? Etc.

soohawk

Reaction score
they can't go into contracts every offseason to make players happy. Lynch started a bad trend and now we are dealing with the outfall of that. Bennett played well and did good this season but he also gets penalties in the most frustrating fashion time and again. He is a talent and a good player in our system but he doesn't deserve anything more than what he is signed for. This has to stop now. Cut the malcontents and go about building the team up like they had previously by rewarding hard work. No more outside big money signings and pay in house players when you can and risk losing some you can't but always have the pipeline waiting with new blood. The pats are good at cutting players and bad at drafting, this is where john can put his genius on the team while holding the hammer and keeping players accountable.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
I would reward Bennet a certain amount extra for each sack he had this year.

Then I would deduct a certain amount for each offsides he had this year.

Yep, that's right, I would give him $10.57.

sutz

Reaction score
soohawk":zwitz60e said:
they can't go into contracts every offseason to make players happy. Lynch started a bad trend and now we are dealing with the outfall of that. Bennett played well and did good this season but he also gets penalties in the most frustrating fashion time and again. He is a talent and a good player in our system but he doesn't deserve anything more than what he is signed for. This has to stop now. Cut the malcontents and go about building the team up like they had previously by rewarding hard work. No more outside big money signings and pay in house players when you can and risk losing some you can't but always have the pipeline waiting with new blood. The pats are good at cutting players and bad at drafting, this is where john can put his genius on the team while holding the hammer and keeping players accountable.
One thing, though, is that Marsh was nearing the end of his deal and they restructured him to benefit both player and team. With his injuries, perhaps it was a bad deal, but that is hindsight. Kam last year had just finished the first year of his new deal, which is way too soon to re-negotiate. I think most people would agree that Kam was reaching there. Bennett has two seasons on his deal, so maybe a restructure is not out of the question.

In general, though I agree that you can't redo every contract every year. If you want to do that, just cut one year deals and be honest about it. Neither the team nor the player likes that approach if it can be avoided.

Torc

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind seeing Bennett get paid more, he earned it through his attitude and play.

But can they add a rider that docks him 100 grand every time his false start gives the other team a first down?

Rob12

Reaction score
Wizofwest":1irhmli8 said:
I believe players outplay their contracts. When they do they have the right to hold out for more money. But it is not that simple. Contracts are signed for multiple years. So if a player wants a a raise after 2 years of a 5 year contract, that is too soon. A player has to choose between long term security and top dollar on a shorter contract with the opportunity to sign a new contract sooner. You don't get both.
So I agree with the way Michael went about asking for more money. No holdout, worked hard, proved he was and is worth more money. Kam, while it was his right to holdout, ultimately damaged his ask for more money by missing two games, at best giving the perception his absence cost the Hawks two games, and not playing to his own high standard.
So send the message, pay Michael, Kam needs to get back to playing like we know he can. If he does, then he will have earned the money he wants. I hope he gets it done, because when he is on his game he is one of the most intimidating players in the NFL.

Go Hawks!

How about when players don't live up to their contracts? Kam did not live up to his pay this season. Is he going to give any of that money back to the Seahawks?

scutterhawk

Reaction score
I could be way off, but I think there's a possibility that Kam's holdout could very well have been a ruse, and that he had some injury hangover from his preparation to SB 49, therefore, I think he was trying to buy time so as to heal up.
His play was uninspiring in SB 49, + he also showed some signs of apprehension when he finally did come in to play this Season.
Think about it from Kam's POV, I hit players with abandon, I lay it all on the line....Where's my security, and who really gives a damn if I injure myself in the process?
I think there's just a lot that goes on behind the scenes that us fans aren't privy to.
Schneider isn't stupid, and whatever his actions on this matter? I'm okay with it.

chris98251

Reaction score
kearly":1urzaviz said:
I would be a little surprised if Seattle touched either contract. I wouldn't mind seeing Bennett getting something though, he's criminally underpaid and has been a good soldier. Adding another year to his deal wouldn't be the worst thing ever.

I guess in a way, I could see Kam getting something too. It would be a statement to the team and to everyone else that all is forgiven with Kam. Pete has recently made statements about how he views Kam as being a Seahawk for a long time to come.

You have to worry when Pete says stuff like this as a player, seems that once that statement is made they are not Seahawks for a very long time :)

Reaneypark

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":547l9dnd said:
I think this would be teetering on something very bad. There were already the rumors the FO played favorites regarding Russ.. I don't know if you want to do that by giving Bennett more money and not Kam. I think if you want to give Bennett a bump you almost have to trade/cut Kam.

You play favorites with your franchise QB in the NFL. Anyone who expects him to be treated the same as everyone else is naive.

Seafan

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":3ouonnv6 said:
I would reward Bennet a certain amount extra for each sack he had this year.

Then I would deduct a certain amount for each offsides he had this year.

Yep, that's right, I would give him $10.57.

This.

northseahawk

Reaction score
I don't know what JS will do kam, but I hope he doesn't give him a cent more.

Plus, Chancellor needs to put at Lb in place of Bruce. And find a new safety. Chancellor didn't seem anything like a safety. Might be a great lb.

chris98251

Reaction score
You don't move Kam, you see what comes this next season, the whole off season was an aberration so to speak, nothing felt right. Re focus and re dedicate and I think they will be fine. If you seen his hand after the Panthers game you know he was playing with some heart.

Reaction score
Wizofwest":35lrmimg said:
I believe players outplay their contracts. When they do they have the right to hold out for more money. But it is not that simple. Contracts are signed for multiple years. So if a player wants a a raise after 2 years of a 5 year contract, that is too soon. A player has to choose between long term security and top dollar on a shorter contract with the opportunity to sign a new contract sooner. You don't get both.
So I agree with the way Michael went about asking for more money. No holdout, worked hard, proved he was and is worth more money. Kam, while it was his right to holdout, ultimately damaged his ask for more money by missing two games, at best giving the perception his absence cost the Hawks two games, and not playing to his own high standard.
So send the message, pay Michael, Kam needs to get back to playing like we know he can. If he does, then he will have earned the money he wants. I hope he gets it done, because when he is on his game he is one of the most intimidating players in the NFL.

How about when they don't live up to their contracts do they have to give money back?

Go Hawks!

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
massari":h0ghz19d said:
HawkFan72":h0ghz19d said:
Well Lockett and Rawls can't get raises for another 2 years. So that makes your line a little easier.
Two down two to go. I'm sure some people think Avril doesn't deserve a raise so I guess that leaves just Baldwin lol.

Avril just got a raise. I don't think he'll be complaining. Maybe next season

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I don't want to lose our enforcer but I agree with the point. As much as I loath Bennett's mouth I respect that he showed up and played hard to make his point. He earned it.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
kearly":3md8n5l6 said:
I would be a little surprised if Seattle touched either contract. I wouldn't mind seeing Bennett getting something though, he's criminally underpaid ad has been a good soldier. Adding another year to his deal wouldn't be the worst thing ever.

Pete gushes over players who get cut 2 days later.

Pete has a hard time even saying neutral things about players.

He may "view him" as a long-term Seahawk while he "views him" as a team-player who gets the job done. But when that view is incompatible with reality eventually reality will win out.

Throwdown

Reaction score
I wouldn't bump bennetts pay or trade Kam.

I'm weary of giving resources to any player that isn't a QB, K, P, or even LS that's over 30.

AirStrike

Reaction score
I'm all for rewarding Bennett. He is an absolute monster and without him this defense would fall apart. Kam on the other hand, god love him, but he joined late, he wasn't in shape and he was never able to catch up with the rest of the players on D.

Hopefully a full off-season and season under his belt again will set him straight.