Schneider could make statement with Bennett and Kam

seahawks08

Reaction score
Pay them fair value, if the FO thinks they can get somebody instead that's fine too. I have no issues with Kam, he as stupid and not conditioned enough,but he will be back. Pete already has his eyes set on the core guys.Nobody sets the tone in the football field like him, you cannot find a harder hitting guy like him, that's not something you can coach towards. Everyone have so many short term memories here, Detroit game where he knocked the ball away which otherwise would have been a TD. He is an identity in our defense, there is no one in the wings who matches his grit. That is the only thing that will separate us from other teams all things equal. We need to build over that philosophy.

Largent80

Reaction score
The Kam situation (with his body) reminds me of Easley. He was such a hard hitter for a few years then was hurting so much they overdosed him on Ibuprofen and his kidneys failed.

Kam is not the Kam of 2 years ago.

Bennett showed up, played hard, and played with a recurring injury.

JAGHAWK

Reaction score
I think I'm with the majority here... Pay Bennett. I don't want our defense to be without him as long as he has the ability to play. I have become very fond of Black Santa and I think it would be a mistake to let him walk without offering him a little kick back for his consistent effort on the field.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
HawkFan72":2zql9r2t said:
Found this segment from Dave Wyman interesting. And I have to say, I agree this would be a very strong statement to send to the team. I would fully be in favor of JS doing something like this.

"If you really want to send a statement to everyone else, if he were to (restructure the contract of) Bennett and not Kam Chancellor, Michael Bennett showed up on time," he said, referencing Chancellor's holdout that lasted through the first two weeks of the regular season. "Yes, (Bennett) complained ... (but) he was here, he showed up, he worked hard, and also he had a really good season. A really good season."

http://mynorthwest.com/292/2898860/...ement-by-rewarding-Bennett-and-not-Chancellor

I agree with Wyman.

Add the fact that Bennett played like he deserved a raise this off season...........and Kam only proved the team right in not giving him any more money with his mediocre oft injured play.

firebee

Reaction score
I think too many of you are letting irrational emotions cloud your judgement. Kam Chancellor was due to play for 6 million last year. Eric Berry made 8 million last year. Eric Weddle made 10 million last year. He is better than either of them and if you look at free agency this year... Their isn't anybody that's better than him. I suppose if you want to be an emotional buffoon, you could release him and, essentially, pay him 2 million dollars to go play for another team because he has 2 million dollars in guaranteed money left on his contract. You could trade him, but the question is... Who's going to replace him? The smart thing to do is to renegotiate his contract and pay him what he deserves to get paid, which based on the current market is about 8 million a year... not the 6 million a year he's been playing for the last 2 years. Pay him what he deserves to get paid based on the market value and prevent an incident like last year from happening again this next season. You don't try playing petty games and making a statement with one of the best Safeties in the NFL, even in an off year... still better than 95% of the strong safeties in the NFL... if not the best Strong Safety in the NFL... even when he's having an off year.

ivotuk

Reaction score
firebee":1ib80n8c said:
I think too many of you are letting irrational emotions cloud your judgement. Kam Chancellor was due to play for 6 million last year. Eric Berry made 8 million last year. Eric Weddle made 10 million last year. He is better than either of them and if you look at free agency this year... Their isn't anybody that's better than him. I suppose if you want to be an emotional buffoon, you could release him and, essentially, pay him 2 million dollars to go play for another team because he has 2 million dollars in guaranteed money left on his contract. You could trade him, but the question is... Who's going to replace him? The smart thing to do is to renegotiate his contract and pay him what he deserves to get paid, which based on the current market is about 8 million a year... not the 6 million a year he's been playing for the last 2 years. Pay him what he deserves to get paid based on the market value and prevent an incident like last year from happening again this next season. You don't try playing petty games and making a statement with one of the best Safeties in the NFL, even in an off year... still better than 95% of the strong safeties in the NFL... if not the best Strong Safety in the NFL... even when he's having an off year.

+1

Subzero717

Reaction score
firebee":3rouuj7h said:
Kam isnt even remotely close to being as good as Eric Weddle and I dont think he was as good as Berry when Berry is/was at his best. They also play a different roll.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
joeseahawks":15fkwk8g said:
Doug Baldwin has outperformed his contract. Should he hold out and demand more money?
Baldwin makes 10 times as much as Rawls. If anyone has a legitimate claim to more money on the basis of overperformance, it's mini-beastmode.

Basis4day

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":3llpyy5c said:
joeseahawks":3llpyy5c said:
Doug Baldwin has outperformed his contract. Should he hold out and demand more money?
Baldwin makes 10 times as much as Rawls. If anyone has a legitimate claim to more money on the basis of overperformance, it's mini-beastmode.

The difference is that Rawls can't hold out even if he wanted to.

Rob12

Reaction score
firebee":ns76ryz1 said:

Do you think NE would do something like that? I don't want to be the Patriots, but perhaps PC could learn a thing from BB when handling pouty players who hold out two years into their deal. Actually, a NE player wouldn't hold out because he'd be bought a plane ticket and fined when he was late for practice. My envy with the Pats begins and ends with how they always put their team first rather than coddling individuals.

Think about precedence. Kam bailed on his teammates for the first six weeks of the season (including training camp). Only he and the team know why, but as Ray Lewis said, he sacrificed a possible legacy here. If that's me being an "emotional buffoon," so be it. I don't think he needs to be rewarded for a six week holdout and a pretty average performance once he returned.

Bennett was unhappy but never bailed on his teammates. He should be rewarded; not Kam.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Rob12":nbvgi244 said:
firebee":nbvgi244 said:

Do you think NE would do something like that? I don't want to be the Patriots, but perhaps PC could learn a thing from BB when handling pouty players who hold out two years into their deal. Actually, a NE player wouldn't hold out because he'd be bought a plane ticket and fined when he was late for practice. My envy with the Pats begins and ends with how they always put their team first rather than coddling individuals.

Think about precedence. Kam bailed on his teammates for the first six weeks of the season (including training camp). Only he and the team know why, but as Ray Lewis said, he sacrificed a possible legacy here. If that's me being an "emotional buffoon," so be it. I don't think he needs to be rewarded for a six week holdout and a pretty average performance once he returned.

Bennett was unhappy but never bailed on his teammates. He should be rewarded; not Kam.

Who really is being emotional though? Is it the ones who believe the team is more important than any individual player and meeting players individual demands could have a negative effect on the team? Or those who think that individual player is to important to lose?

If Kam is in fact better than Weddle and Berry wouldn't he fetch a pretty good trade?

Kam has been one of my favorite players on this current team but I am a much bigger fan of the team than any player.

It's been pretty obvious that Pete knows how selfishness can hurt a team. We have witnessed multiple times where a very high profile player was shown the door and often with no compensation. In fact we have paid to get rid of a few. Considering past situations you could ask is Pete the one being emotional?

I hope Kam has come back to reality and is all in but anything less is unexceptable because no matter how physically gifted he may be he will hurt the team in other area's if he believes he is more important than the team.

Largent80

Reaction score
Outside of the 2 major plays he made that actually helped win games, his play was anything but what we are used to seeing from him. So, since were not coaches.....what is the reason for that? Missing all of camp and pre-season?

I don't think so.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Me like Bennet. Me like Kam. Make player happy. Win more Super Bowl. Ugh.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Rob12":27c9i508 said:
[

So....I hear you saying that he won't be making the Ring of Honor?