What would you do? You are the GM

farhat

Reaction score
Players Under Contract to Keep an Eye On

I will put the players I believe will be seriously evaluated and the cap savings if we release or trade them:

Marshawn Lynch: $6.5 Million
Jimmy Graham: $9 Million
Kam Chancellor: $4.1 Million
Michael Bennet: $3 Million

Sadly, I think we just saw Marshawn's last game. Even if he still wants to play (which I doubt), I am not sure they are ready for his salary. This season, Marshawn lacked the burst we used to see, and you have to wonder how much he cares. He is the best running back in Seahawks history and a definite Hall of Famer in my book. He gave us many great memories and we all love him. But, it is time.

We saw the offense do amazing without Jimmy Graham. So, is he worth $9 million? I am sure they will evaluate this. Personally, I believe we are better of without Jimmy. Bevell and Russell were way more freed up without him on the field. Further, he is an awful blocker and we are still a team that wants to run the rock. In our Super Bowl winning season, we won without an elite pass catcher. We need to stick with who we are and stop trading for big name guys! However, I do know that Russell and Pete really like Jimmy. So, it will be interesting to watch.

Kam is amazing. But, we all saw why he held out for more money. He knew he wasn't the same. I would be surprised if he asked for more money after his performance this season. The interceptions and the big hits were lacking. He is not what he used to be. I personally would keep him because of his leadership and he can still play. But, I wonder what Pete and John will do.

Michael Bennett earned every penny this season. But, if he keeps complaining, I wonder if they will decide to save that $1 million roster bonus. Usually when John puts that in, there is an evaluation coming. I personally would keep him with the hope that he would save the drama.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I don't get rid of Bennett unless somebody wants to throw like 2 first round picks at us, or something crazy. I'd be fine with giving him a raise.

I think it's time to thank beast mode for his service and move on.

Jimmy graham if healthy could be in for a monster season if we keep the quick passing attack. Definitely keep.

Kam is the one I struggle with. If he's going to be ok with his contract keep him, if he's going to hold out and be a distraction find the best trade available.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
The only guy that isn't here next year is Beastmode if I'm running things, and that pains me to say that as he is one of my favorite Hawk players of all time.

Graham, Kam, and MB would all be back.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Michael Bennett might be the best D-lineman in the league not named JJ Watt. You don't release him to save $3 million.

2_0_6

Reaction score
No way in hell Bennett leaves, that guy is the most disruptive guy on the Defense.

Lynch is gone.

If Graham was released, we would save money but would have yet another glaring hole on the offense that would need addressing. He stays.

I could see Kam's contract situation coming up again and I think Pete & John would be quick to trade him off. Preferably to an AFC team if that does happen.

RussB

Reaction score
Let marshawn go, pay kam and bennet. Draft or sign some o lineman and corners. Try to keep bruce irvin also.

gmor

Reaction score
Lynch is gone. Keep the others mentioned. Jimmy will do well, Bevel has to open the offense a little more.

inda2o6

Reaction score
I would let Marshawn go, & extend Pete Carroll's contract since i read he has 1 year left on his current deal. Let Irvin, Sweezy & Okung find their payday here or elsewhere, re-sign Shead, or Lane, Rubin, and maybe Mebane if is he is willing to stay for less $. Keep Jimmy, re-work Bennett's contract(incentive based raise) if possible. How about falsestart based incentives? Kam is a tough one. He made plays, forcing the fumble in the vikings game. Not sure he made a good case for a raise, now.

Reaction score
Bye Lynch, Brandon Mebane pretty much nonexistent all year. Give sum extra to Bennett and Kam and resign Irvin. OL,DL,LB,RB, Secondary is what I would target in draft and in free agency.

sedrohawk

Reaction score
thegreeninyoureye":r7hxw3k5 said:
Bye Lynch, Brandon Mebane pretty much nonexistent all year. Give sum extra to Bennett and Kam and resign Irvin. OL,DL,LB,RB, Secondary is what I would target in draft and in free agency.
its pretty sad that you think mebane has been nonexistent all year. he was the anchor of the defensive line that led the league in rush defense.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Put the offense in Wilson's hands by running the spread. And getting a top tier center and guards like New Orleans did for Drew Brees when they were at the top of their game. We have to counter defenses like Carolina and Los Angeles immediately.

Reaction score
sedrohawk":24ihcwsd said:
thegreeninyoureye":24ihcwsd said:
its pretty sad that you think mebane has been nonexistent all year. he was the anchor of the defensive line that led the league in rush defense.
He and his 24 tackles with that contract can be replaced. Title of post What would you do? You are the Gm. Well that is what i would do with out hesitation. If I could use that money to help keep Bennett,Irvin and Kam. Sorry I think think we could go younger and find a replacement.

randomation

Reaction score
Lynch is gone likely Okung as well. We need to build from the inside out if we could get Alex Mack it would be absolutely huge add in Alex Boone and we will look a hell of a lot better at line. Address RCB and line depth in the draft and come back ready to roll. Incognito could also be a possibility but I think someone may throw megabucks at him despite the whole controversy issue.

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
Let Lynch go.

Look for a trade partner for Graham, and chancellor

Let Okung and Irvin play somewhere else.

Add incentives into Bennett contract, sign Lane and Rubin to a new deal.

Pick Hunter Henry TE from Arkansas with your 1st pick.

Fade

Reaction score
Post June 1 designation on Lynch and the cap savings are $9.5M.

seahawks08

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":34r5z0dx said:
Put the offense in Wilson's hands by running the spread. And getting a top tier center and guards like New Orleans did for Drew Brees when they were at the top of their game. We have to counter defenses like Carolina and Los Angeles immediately.

Brees took them to one SB, I don't think I would follow the same path. I would continue to invest in the defense to find the next Earl/Richard/Kam. It takes 2 to 3 years for someone to be effective in this system. I would fill in the OL gap with a draft/free agent. I might trade up to get a really good slot guy since Paul Richardson is not consistently healthy. I want to build depth on punt/kick returner, special teams, punter and kicker. Compete, compete compete this training camp and keep the most skilled players. I would definitely invest on a RB too.. Did I miss any other position.. glad I am not the GM. I loved NO when they won the superbowl, but they never went back and the team is a mess. I don't necessarily agree with the model, I personally would invest in defense to take on the Bradys, Cams, Palmers and Chip Kelly :D

Zorn76

Reaction score
Get rid of Tom and Darrell. Time for a new approach for OC & OL.

Love Lynch, but he turns 30 in a few months, and his injury forecast isn't going to improve.

I think Graham can work in our offense, but we've also proven he isn't a necessary component / missing link to return to the SB. (The hunch here is that he stays, however.)

Bennett - must sign. Guy played hard, and is key for our DL.
Irvin - decent player, but not irreplaceable. Bonus is he Wants to stay, and I'll take his word on it.
Kam...tough call, but I'd like for him to stay at this point.

Biggest issue...OL, naturally. Needs a Major overhaul.
Do Not pay Okung with a big extension.
Let Sweezy walk. He's ok, but not worth waiting for to come around. I think his ceiling has already be reached, and it's shorter than RW:)
Give Glowinski a shot, and bring in Many prospects (via draft/FA) to compete for jobs. Since 40+ sacks surrendered per year is the current benchmark, it really can't get much worse, and at least there would be potential upside bringing in new guys there.

As it is, this group stinks overall. We were reminded of that in Carolina, in addition to playing other teams with a decent to good DL. Some good games here and there by our OL, but not nearly enough to give them the benefit of the doubt.
We are not far off from being a SB team. The window is still open, but some significant action is needed this off season to increase the odds.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
HawkFan72":9hi78ycv said:
Michael Bennett might be the best D-lineman in the league not named JJ Watt. You don't release him to save $3 million.

Bennet is def our best DL. If we had better interior pressure Bennet would be almost unstopable.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I agree about Jimmy. We need another Zach Miller type tight end who is great at blocking and decent at route running and catching.

chawx

Reaction score
Marshawn Lynch: $6.5 Million <- keep
Jimmy Graham: $9 Million <- trade
Kam Chancellor: $4.1 Million <- keep
Michael Bennet: $3 Million <-keep

Willson is not Graham, yet. But for us, he can be the same kind of guy without the drama of "Why isn't Jimmy getting more touches" BS that I hate to read/hear.

The Lynch/Rawls two-headed monster gives me the happy tingles. I want to see that more.

Kam is a monster. Make him feel loved again.

Would love to keep Bennett, but not if it breaks the bank. I like what F.Clark brought to the game and I think if we can get a dominant DT, Bennett can be replaced at a slight drop off.

Honorable mention: Irvin. I want him to stick around at the right price... he really is a team player out there and helps other guys focus on their jobs and not worry so much about him and his job.

Draft, in order of most important to least: WR, CB/SS, TE, DL, OL, LB, P, K, RB, QB