Okung Conundrum In 2016 On Display Today

timmat

Reaction score
Okung might have made himself more money in his absence today, as he was really missed. But at the same time, the fact that he couldn't play is exactly why we might hesitate to pay him - missing games due to injury. I wonder what they'll do? I bet someone will pay him a lot.

SuperFreak

Reaction score
Good points, wouldn't mind them getting a LT in the draft but we haven't hit on a lot of offensive line picks in the Carroll era.

mrt144

Reaction score
It was the Carp and Breno Conundrum previous - what do you do with players who are valued higher around the NFL than you are willing to pay for the results they've provided?

I don't know - part of me thinks that, or hopes that some scheming can ameliorate the issue but the FO hasn't shown any inclination fishing for vets in FA and I don't believe in Tom Cable Magic. Seems like we're back at Week 7 here.

HawkerD

Reaction score
I think you have to pay him. Sneezy is ok but I'd rather see him go packing. Hard to find quality LT after the first part of the first round. The skill set is unique. Ballerina footwork with the e strength and size of an ox

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Can we afford 9 per within the salary cap? I think that's about what it will take. And yeah, good post cuz I see it as a conundrum too based on his injury history.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Okung is very good when he can stay healthy. He gets all those false starts because he's always knicked up and needs a head start to keep up with guys at times.

We have to remember that Bailey isn't even a replacement level NFL player. He's played better in the past, but this year it looks like he doesn't even belong in the league. I'd love to see us get a couple of Tackle prospects and let them compete.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
HawkerD":3lj9gka2 said:
I think you have to pay him. Sneezy is ok but I'd rather see him go packing. Hard to find quality LT after the first part of the first round. The skill set is unique. Ballerina footwork with the e strength and size of an ox
That's also why we might have to let Okung go. It's hard enough to find one starting caliber LT in the NFL. Okungs injury history means we need to carry two! Okung (when healthy) and Sweezy are the only NFL starter caliber linemen on our roster. The rest are just stop gaps. Lewis and Britt would be great backups but neither should be starters in the NFL at this point. Russell Wilson would be wise to consider a restructure that could bring in some dependable protection.

HawkerD

Reaction score
brimsalabim":37tbx23d said:
HawkerD":37tbx23d said:
That's also why we might have to let Okung go. It's hard enough to find one starting caliber LT in the NFL. Okungs injury history means we need to carry two! Okung (when healthy) and Sweezy are the only NFL starter caliber linemen on our roster. The rest are just stop gaps. Lewis and Britt would be great backups but neither should be starters in the NFL at this point. Russell Wilson would be wise to consider a restructure that could bring in some dependable protection.

Can you even Imagine how good Russell would be behind a true above average OL. This front office has missed badly with OL. I don't like the excuse that the college game isn't producing them because other teams are finding gems. Trading 1st round picks for players we really don't need,while water under the bridge, hasn't l allowed us to get an NFL O-lineman. Converting and starting ex D lineman is an experiment with less than mixed results.

OP
OP
timmat

timmat

Reaction score
With a decent O line, we'd see Russ play like he did the past handful of games all the time. As it is now, he only gets proper protection against teams that either have beat up D lines or sub par talent on the D line.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Good post. He's gonna get paid. You only have to be average to get a huge second contract as a LT. And he played 13+ games this year, which is enough to justify the injury risk\reward for some.

Tough decision.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
You have to pay Okung.

Have you seen the OL prospects this regime has brought in? I'll take 12-14 games of Okung over 16 games of another college underperformer or convert project.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
If we aren't able to draft a plug and play stud LT then we need Okung or we will be pretty worthless next year and begin a 49er like fall.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Every man on that line today got physically beat a number of times today they need a Center to anchor that line . Way to much pressure up the middle. Hopefully it isn't that bad in Arizona.

NewJerseyHawk

Reaction score
It's Okung vs Bruce Irvin for me.....I have to assume Lynch Is back and he comes back with a fire and vengeance to do damage at Lambeau.....imagine Lynch in Green Bay or a team like Arizona who would definitely love to stick it to Seattle for a year or two with Lynch in our playoff paths....

I think you can resign both Irvin and Okung with the salary cap going up and it's not as if we are that cash strapped where a structured deal doesn't make sense for both players. I think with the lack of success with players cashing in elsewhere, it will be about winning or making a few extra bucks elsewhere. Irvin isn't getting more money per year than Sherman, ETIII or the other DL....if he wants that and goes to Jacksonville, wish him luck....

Okung has to be re-signed and the amount of money isn't as much of a factor as we don't have quality lineman hitting free agency and I don't want to waste a 1st, 2nd or 3rd rounder on the OL, when we need another quality WR, playmaking CB and more depth on the DL inside (Rubin and Mebane are approaching 30).

I see visions of busts like DJ Fluker being paraded around San Diego, where he single handedly destroyed Rivers career....he couldn't play LT, then he couldn't play RT and then they have tried him inside at guard, in hopes he can hide in there.

We see Denver, New England and other playoff contenders missing LT's and Arizona's is a overpriced signing of Veldheer from the Raiders......I can see RW re-working some numbers if asked....I don't see Sweezy or Lewis in the lineup next year.....The replacements are not on the roster and I think Seattle and PC will go the veteran route and get a low-priced veteran to plug in and help RW with protections........I think Unger will be cut by the Saints as well, they don't need Unger if Brees is making 25M a year.....

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1x02p3qg said:
You have to pay Okung.

Have you seen the OL prospects this regime has brought in? I'll take 12-14 games of Okung over 16 games of another college underperformer or convert project.
Very good point and as such, I agree with you.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
DavidSeven":32r2l0d2 said:
You have to pay Okung.

Very good point and as such, I agree with you.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Watch Cable get a coaching gig elsewhere, then sign Sweezy and Okung at the new team.

kearly

Reaction score
I guess one way to look at the injuries is that it will likely prevent teams from overspending to woo him. If Seattle had top 15 picks every year I'd rather see them move on from such an undependable player, but with the draft ammunition and struggles in development Seattle has endured, its hard to imagine them being better off without Okung.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
His cap hit has been high for years and is 7.2 million this year. In other words, we have already been paying the man and were still able to afford all the contracts. Salary cap is increasing next year and I would be shocked if we didn't make a reasonable offer to keep him.

ApnaHawk

Reaction score
I don't think Okung will command as much as we think he will. I always thought he would have been a better player than he turned out to be. There is still time. He's a good player, probably worth around 6-8 million a year. Anything more would be way overspending on him.

Latest posts