Update: Jimmy Graham out for year; patella tendon

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
Edit: credit to Jake206 for update

jake206":iwruk1nw said:
That was like seeing a brand new vette get into an accident.... :177692:

From Softy:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Softykjr/status/671134047398006784[/tweet]

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...immy-graham-carted-off-with-right-knee-injury

Having torn my ACL, MCL, and meniscus, that's unfortunately what I think Jimmy did, from the video.

Mustache and any other med folks, are air casts for broken bones or can they apply to knee injuries like mine?

jkitsune

Reaction score
Air cast is usually for fractures. Nothing obvious on the video to show a broken leg or torn ligament, which means if the cast was there for a fracture, it's probably a non-displaced fracture of the fibula. The fibula is a smaller bone which can fracture from hard impacts on falls, whereas the tibia is much sturdier and would be difficult to crack in that way. Would also probably see a tibia break while watching the film.

From the video, it looked like he wrenched that ankle pretty hard. That would be another potential way to break the fibula.

knownone

Reaction score
NJSeaHawk":3lwzxesp said:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...immy-graham-carted-off-with-right-knee-injury

Having torn my ACL, MCL, and meniscus, that's unfortunately what I think Jimmy did, from the video.

Mustache and any other med folks, are air casts for broken bones or can they apply to knee injuries like mine?
Air casts can be used for any upper leg injury. Graham went in for XRAYs which can't detect ACL or MCL injuries, unless it was just a precaution, it's probably a fracture or break of some kind. Most serious ligament injuries can be felt by the medical staff on the field and usually require MRI to confirm, that doesn't appear to be what happened. It honestly looks like a break.

OP
OP
NJSeahawk

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
jkitsune":tjilh6j7 said:
Air cast is usually for fractures. Nothing obvious on the video to show a broken leg or torn ligament, which means if the cast was there for a fracture, it's probably a non-displaced fracture of the fibula. The fibula is a smaller bone which can fracture from hard impacts on falls, whereas the tibia is much sturdier and would be difficult to crack in that way. Would also probably see a tibia break while watching the film.

From the video, it looked like he wrenched that ankle pretty hard. That would be another potential way to break the fibula.

And this is why I am not a doctor.

Thanks all for the reply.

Hawks46

Reaction score
JSeahawks":9zi6v1yp said:
Air casts typically mean broken bones, not ligament tears. But who knows.

I didn't see it, but yeah, typically you'd have an air cast to keep a leg immobile for broken bones.

I've seen guys walk off the field with ACL tears. I walked around just fine 2 days after I tore mine. I'd likely say broken bone. Which honestly, is a better injury than an ACL or PCL. I wish to this day I'd broken my leg instead of tore my ACL.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Air casts are applied when there is concern for a bone injury or when there is clearly a soft tissue (ligament) injury, but the pain with movement is severe. Immobilization provides both protection from further injury from sharp ends of broken bones and protection from pain.

It really isn't possible from the video, or the fact that an air cast was applied, to say what the extent of his injury is, just the likelihood. In all likelihood, whatever the ultimate injury, they are concerned for a bony injury.

-bsd

OP
OP
NJSeahawk

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
Hawks46":2wit48pv said:
JSeahawks":2wit48pv said:

I didn't see it, but yeah, typically you'd have an air cast to keep a leg immobile for broken bones.

I've seen guys walk off the field with ACL tears. I walked around just fine 2 days after I tore mine. I'd likely say broken bone. Which honestly, is a better injury than an ACL or PCL. I wish to this day I'd broken my leg instead of tore my ACL.

You and me both...I will definitely take the break over a tear, though.

knownone

Reaction score
NJSeaHawk":31p2pcj0 said:
Hawks46":31p2pcj0 said:
JSeahawks":31p2pcj0 said:

Interesting. It took me two years to fully recover from breaking my tibia, it took about 4 months for my ACL.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Watching the video, three injuries came to mind. Tibial plateau fracture, distal fibular fracture with syndesmosis disruption, or any variety of ligamentous injury of the knee or ankle. Nothing clear from the video.

-bsd

HawkFan72

Reaction score
That's a huge blow if he broke or tore anything. I thought he tore his ACL or MCL with the way he landed. Hoping for the best and that they were just taking precautions.

jake206

Reaction score
That was like seeing a brand new vette get into an accident.... :177692:

From Softy:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Softykjr/status/671134047398006784[/tweet]

rjdriver

Reaction score
knownone":kof2un07 said:
NJSeaHawk":kof2un07 said:
Hawks46":kof2un07 said:
JSeahawks":kof2un07 said:

Interesting. It took me two years to fully recover from breaking my tibia, it took about 4 months for my ACL.

Adrian?

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
I tore my ACL, MCL, and PCL in high school.

They used an air cast on me because the pain from the partial MCL tear was excruciating.

jake206

Reaction score
HawkNuts":13oxtb4l said:
I tore my ACL, MCL, and PCL in high school.

They used an air cast on me because the pain from the partial MCL tear was excruciating.

It sounds like a patella tear.

northseahawk

Reaction score
Although he won't be available for us this season, this is the best of all possible injuries.

Geologic

Reaction score
northseahawk":18xqvxwd said:
Although he won't be available for us this season, this is the best of all possible injuries.
Whats the recovery time and stuff compared to an ACL injury?

Hoping the best for Jimmy. He always made most of what he had in this offense.