Update: Jimmy Graham out for year; patella tendon

mrt144

Reaction score
bigskydoc":2oilj2qh said:
IMHO, depending on the severity of the tear, this was about as devastating an injury as I can imagine short of a complete blowout of the knee or a Theisman type injury.

Unlike the typical ligamentous injuries that we see (ACL,MCL), the patellar tendon (technically ligament, but practically tendon) is not just a stabilizing structure of the knee. It actually transmits the forces from the powerful quad muscles in the thigh to the tibia (lower leg).

Every single movement of leg extension puts tension on that ligament. Run, jump, cut, push all transmit force through that ligament, and rely on it being of appropriate length, tension, and lateral balance to allow the athlete to control the movement of his body on the lower leg.

Getting it reattached/ repaired perfectly is almost impossible, so even with the best surgeon, and the best rehab, Graham's leg will never respond the same way again. It will always be a little "off," and every movement will be a reminder of the injury. It may be mentally tough to put 100% faith in the knee in the future.

For a weekend warrior, getting back to 90% is fine. For an elite athlete...

He may never be the same again.

JMHO as I am an anesthesiologist, not an orthopedic doc.

Feel free to quote back to me next year when he comes back 110%.

- bsd

After reading this i might be in need of your skills for the remainder of the season.

jayhawkk

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/gbellseattle/status/671409964666105857[/tweet]

pmedic920

Reaction score
bigskydoc":12an8sjw said:
IMHO, depending on the severity of the tear, this was about as devastating an injury as I can imagine short of a complete blowout of the knee or a Theisman type injury.

Unlike the typical ligamentous injuries that we see (ACL,MCL), the patellar tendon (technically ligament, but practically tendon) is not just a stabilizing structure of the knee. It actually transmits the forces from the powerful quad muscles in the thigh to the tibia (lower leg).

Every single movement of leg extension puts tension on that ligament. Run, jump, cut, push all transmit force through that ligament, and rely on it being of appropriate length, tension, and lateral balance to allow the athlete to control the movement of his body on the lower leg.

Getting it reattached/ repaired perfectly is almost impossible, so even with the best surgeon, and the best rehab, Graham's leg will never respond the same way again. It will always be a little "off," and every movement will be a reminder of the injury. It may be mentally tough to put 100% faith in the knee in the future.

For a weekend warrior, getting back to 90% is fine. For an elite athlete...

He may never be the same again.

JMHO as I am an anesthesiologist, not an orthopedic doc.

Feel free to quote back to me next year when he comes back 110%.

- bsd

Good post doc, and for a little clarification, I'd like to add ( for those that don't know) ligaments attach bone to bone to create structure and stabilize joints, etc.
on the other hand, tendons attach muscle to bone.
In the case of the Patellar tendon, it attaches the quadricep to the tibia ( lower leg bone). That's one of the strongest muscles in our body, responsible for moving our leg.
With weak/torn ligaments a joint becomes unstable. With torn tendons, the joint won't (basically) won't move.
This is a very serious injury, especially when it's a top level athlete involved.
I'd guess that our hope, as fans, for JG should be that there is a tear in the tendon vs the tendon being completely torn in two.
As others have stated and can be confirmed easily on the interweb, very few athletes return to full form.
As a person, my hope is that he does recover with a fully functional leg and that there are no freak complications.
God Speed #88

Here are a couple photos for reference.
f8fbb265b171684921ffc3faced74825.jpg

e8ca45ae428372ce17d3fae0c54bb969.jpg

d9122df679861e57ba19abaa9924c533.jpg

JPatera76

Reaction score
This is the 3rd Hawk as far as I know with this injury. 1st I believe was Robbie Tobeck. Our Center, he missed a year but when we came back he didn't miss a game for 5 or 6 years. The 2nd was DT Chuck Darby (2007 injury), who our Mebane was back-up to. Then he went to play for the Lions from 08-09.

Im pretty positive we'll see him back. And while he may not be 100% his strengths as someone mentioned is his big body, boxing out and catching. Imho we won't notice the difference.

JPatera76

Reaction score
I also believe the longer he or the team waits on the surgery the harder and longer it takes to recover? I'm amazed he hasn't already had surgery today. Let alone yesterday.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
jkitsune":1wapzm3n said:
HawkAroundTheClock":1wapzm3n said:
That injury is all on Russell. Terrible throw.

Why half his passes to Jimmy are below the knees is a mystery. A stupid, stupid mystery.

I just have no words.
I do and I'm gonna say 'em right now while keeping in mind I'm not in the Shack......this is bullshit and yet another example of the endless anti-Wilson agenda some people on this site continue to push. Jimmy had double coverage in front of him and an open space behind so how do you know Russ didn't purposely throw to his back shoulder in an effort to put the ball where Graham had the best chance to catch it? You people saying this are aware that QBs have been doing this for like 20 years now right? You're very likely one of the people that was complaining long and loud about RW not targeting Graham enough and not throwing into coverage and now you blame him for doing just that.

Wonder if anyone here will ever come clean on their reason(s) for disliking Wilson. I doubt it highly.

pmedic920

Reaction score
All these tweets and post stating that he will be 100% by the start of 2016 are somewhat misleading.

I'd agree that he should be 100% healed up and 100% ready to go with what he has.

I disagree that they can claim he will be back to 100% of what he was. Nobody knows that for sure.
5-10 minutes on the Google will confirm.

JPatera76

Reaction score
pmedic920":3rudzyqj said:
All these tweets and post stating that he will be 100% by the start of 2016 are somewhat misleading.

I'd agree that he should be 100% healed up and 100% ready to go with what he has.

I disagree that they can claim he will be back to 100% of what he was. Nobody knows that for sure.

As well as the mental factor. Players who get injured, and haven't experienced a major injury before also don't come back 100% Look at Earl, hell look at Bowman. When we faced SF bowman a few times had Rawls but didn't trust his knees/legs. And he had a completely different injury. I'm sure there are other players a long list of too many to name but we all get the point.

But here's to a speedy recovery.. hopefully they get him in asap for the surgery :vodka: :thirishdrinkers:

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Rob12":3gt07p66 said:
It's crazy to say but I think that we're probably the only fan base in the NFL that would somehow find a way to blame our QB for an injury like that. I haven't heard one Patriots fan blame Tom Brady for getting Rob Gronkowski hurt.

There's some deep rooted disdain for Russell here from a select number of posters, and I don't get it. To even insinuate that he's somehow at fault is reactionary BS. What is the trend of laying blame wherever one can? In the Gameday Forum it was that the 12's were no longer loud enough. Every week it's something different.

The thing is, football is a violent game and every week many players get hurt. Most knee injuries are without contact. But somehow, some are blaming our franchise QB.

I'm not a RW apologist. I'm all for critiquing his play. But this idea that he constantly under throws or throws behind Graham is laughable. Look at his catch/target rate. It's high. Even the best QB's in the game miss throws consistently.

Come on. All this is is Seahawks fans trying to outsmart themselves and seeing something that isn't there. It's unfortunate, and it really sucks, but it is not RW's fault.

What a great post. However, I don't think for one minute that it's "Seahawks fans trying to outsmart themselves and seeing something that isn't there".

StoneCold

Reaction score
pmedic920":xquhqw44 said:

How does Graham's injury compare to Bowman's? Having seen them both Bowman's appeared, to a lay person such as myself, to be much worse and the knee buckled sideways. He has come back, though he's not 100% yet. Not making any claim that Graham should be able to come back. Just interesting comparing the two.

Oh, and just wanted to add I can't believe anyone says this is on Russell. SMH SMH SMH hoo, now I'm dizzy.

pmedic920

Reaction score
StoneCold":25n9eh1j said:
How does Graham's injury compare to Bowman's? Having seen them both Bowman's appeared, to a lay person such as myself, to be much worse and the knee buckled sideways. He has come back, though he's not 100% yet. Not making any claim that Graham should be able to come back. Just interesting comparing the two.

Oh, and just wanted to add I can't believe anyone says this is on Russell. SMH SMH SMH hoo, now I'm dizzy.

I'm really not sure but IIRC, Bowman tore his ACL and injured his MCL, both being ligaments with different propose from the Patellar tendon.
I could only speculate as to why people recover better from ACL/MCL injuries than the type that our guy has but it seems to the case.

OP
OP
NJSeahawk

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
Mental factor is huge here...I stopped pretty much all pickup games after my knee injury...sure, I could play but in the back of my mind, I was always thinking of how easy my knee could give out again...so whenever I did play bball again it was at 50 percent at best, of what I used to do.Whatever I did, it was with trepidation.

So imagine this mindset, except now place it at the highest level possible of sports, coupled with the fact that JG knows he is not the same. Of course you can't compare the two, but we are all human. JG will try to get through it and I will hope for the best, but bsd hit the nail on the head when he said he may never be the same again. I completely believe that. Maybe we can convert him into a dink and dunker and keep working on his blocking.

Here's hoping for the best but fearing for the worst.

Crizilla

Reaction score
I'd be shocked if he's in uniform at the start of next season. No rush jimmy take your time

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
jayhawkk":2lao5erx said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/ProFootballDoc/status/671203106940657664[/tweet]
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/mon ... -than-acl/

He may be in uniform, but he will not be in "condition" to play as an NFL TE by Training Camp. It will take time for him to regain his speed as the muscles atrophy due to the mandatory immobility of the knee joint. It is possible that he could start physical therapy by March/ April. Unless he is another AP, I'd say he might be 80% by September.

PS. Enjoy the oxycodone in the meantime.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
JPatera76":1ff87fr8 said:
I also believe the longer he or the team waits on the surgery the harder and longer it takes to recover? I'm amazed he hasn't already had surgery today. Let alone yesterday.

Generally surgery is done on knees as soon as the inflammation has subsided. Doing it the next day except when just scoping is involved may cause secondary complication to the surgery.

There is no doubt this is a serious injury and will take some serious rehab. Fortunately the surgery has become much more precise and much more effective with the use of arthroscopes. Effective knee rehab is becoming quite common and more common place. Team physicians are becoming quite talented at helping rehabbing these injuries.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Surgery on the supportive ligaments (ACL MCL PCL) can wait. Surgery on the patellar tendon needs to be done early to improve the chances of a good repair and recovery. While it would surprise me to see it done within two days, it would also surprise me if he isn't operated on this week.

-bsd

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
bigskydoc":uiqhlaif said:
Surgery on the supportive ligaments (ACL MCL PCL) can wait. Surgery on the patellar tendon needs to be done early to improve the chances of a good repair and recovery. While it would surprise me to see it done within two days, it would also surprise me if he isn't operated on this week.

-bsd

:13:

Seanhawk

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":2fz0fa0w said:
jkitsune":2fz0fa0w said:
HawkAroundTheClock":2fz0fa0w said:
That injury is all on Russell. Terrible throw.

Why half his passes to Jimmy are below the knees is a mystery. A stupid, stupid mystery.

I just have no words.
I do and I'm gonna say 'em right now while keeping in mind I'm not in the Shack......this is bullshit and yet another example of the endless anti-Wilson agenda some people on this site continue to push. Jimmy had double coverage in front of him and an open space behind so how do you know Russ didn't purposely throw to his back shoulder in an effort to put the ball where Graham had the best chance to catch it? You people saying this are aware that QBs have been doing this for like 20 years now right? You're very likely one of the people that was complaining long and loud about RW not targeting Graham enough and not throwing into coverage and now you blame him for doing just that.

Wonder if anyone here will ever come clean on their reason(s) for disliking Wilson. I doubt it highly.

Someone explain to me how this is anything but a great back shoulder throw. The defender is taking himself completely out of the play by having no clue where the ball is. If Jimmy plays that better and doesn't lose his footing, he's making the catch virtually uncontested and doesn't even have to jump to do it.

bme3W5

Latest posts