Chancellor's Fine

HawkGA

Reaction score
Anybody got video of the hit that drew the fine?

nanomoz

Reaction score
It's a lot harder to play defense in this era. A lot.

Under current rules, cant' argue against it.

seaNOmercy

Reaction score
So the ball carrier was still carrying the ball. Whats the problem??

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
Year of The Hawk":17e0xtpe said:
seaNOmercy":17e0xtpe said:
What a joke.

WHY?

I would wager a guess that is a joke because he was attempting to tackle the ball carrier and positioned his head to the side in order to put a shoulder in the chest of the RB and Kalil was just standing in the way. The spear was not intentional and had no malice behind it.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":pu6v1syg said:
Year of The Hawk":pu6v1syg said:
seaNOmercy":pu6v1syg said:
What a joke.

WHY?

I would wager a guess that is a joke because he was attempting to tackle the ball carrier and positioned his head to the side in order to put a shoulder in the chest of the RB and Kalil was just standing in the way. The spear was not intentional and had no malice behind it.

Looked pretty intentional (atleast the hit on the player, not the actual action of "spearing") to me.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3l629ww3 said:
CurryStopstheRuns":3l629ww3 said:
Year of The Hawk":3l629ww3 said:
seaNOmercy":3l629ww3 said:
What a joke.

WHY?

Looked pretty intentional (atleast the hit on the player, not the actual action of "spearing") to me.

Why would he intentionally hit Kalil when he would risk missing the tackle?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":2sea0zzs said:
Uncle Si":2sea0zzs said:
CurryStopstheRuns":2sea0zzs said:

Why would he intentionally hit Kalil when he would risk missing the tackle?

Is your take of the video based on what you think Kam should be doing, or what you're seeing. Because what I'm seeing is he goes right into Kalil's chest, then wraps up the player next to him.

Either he meant to clear out the player in front of him first, or he really, really missed the tackle.

I'm thinking he was clearing out first based on what the video looks like.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
seaNOmercy":3nxwso4n said:
So the ball carrier was still carrying the ball. Whats the problem??

Under Article 6, Unnecessary Roughness:

using any part of a player’s helmet or facemask to butt, spear, or ram an opponent violently or unnecessarily

There's no clear reason for Chancellor to have his head that low, intentional or not. He makes a pretty clear launch right before he puts his helmet into the chest, and again it doesn't matter whether it's intentional or not in this case. It's the right response for the rule.

Launching his helmet into him could cause serious structural damage to the chest and could easily be life-threatening. It could also cause a significant cervical spine injury or concussion to Chancellor. This is very dangerous, and while some people may think the NFL is too "soft" nowadays, this is one of those areas I'm not going to complain about. It's a game; Kalil suffering broken ribs/sternum and possibly damage to his critical organs and Chancellor breaking his neck are not acceptable.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
The rule is intended to protect Kam as much as anyone else.

Still, what a bad ass.

chawx

Reaction score
hawknation2015":1wknduz8 said:
I was surprised it wasn't flagged when it happened. Kalil had the wind knocked out of him and had to sit out a few plays.

grumpy-cat.jpeg

It's football, not Netflix and chill. Someone comes running up on you, trying to block you, you gotta pancake his ass...

well played, Kam. +1

hawknation2015

Reaction score
chawx":359k9i0w said:
hawknation2015":359k9i0w said:
I was surprised it wasn't flagged when it happened. Kalil had the wind knocked out of him and had to sit out a few plays.

grumpy-cat.jpeg

It's football, not Netflix and chill. Someone comes running up on you, trying to block you, you gotta pancake his ass...

well played, Kam. +1

Absolutely, but in the past, he has done so legally by keeping his head up and striking with his shoulder or arm.

KamDoes

Hitting someone with the crown of your helmet is dangerous to both the defender and the recipient of the illegal hit. It's just bad technique and deserved a flag. Kam is still playing catchup in returning to form.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I'm surprised he didn't get hurt on the play.

You have a 235 lb defender running into a 300 plus lb OLman and leading with his head. Typically, that doesn't go well for the defender. Kam shouldn't have an issue with this fine, as he's the one that sat out because he doesn't have any guaranteed money left on his contract and he wants security.

That said, like someone said above, what a badass. Seriously, I haven't ever seen a SS that just blows up OLmen on a consistent basis like Kam does.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
My take on this.... hey Kalil protect your self big boy. You're running along with the ball carrier straight up like a billboard not protecting yourself.

You're right next to the ball carrier with Seahawks defenders coming in like heat seeking missiles with bad intentions.

To me it looks like Kam missed with his hit. We've seen him do this before and blast other Seahawks, friendly fire. I agree he needs to get his head up, not very sound technique there.... but we can't see in his head and know it was intentional or not.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Kam_Chancellor/status/657763894207758336[/tweet]

Msfann

Reaction score
I understand why they fine players for cheap hits but I don't think this was a dirty hit. He was trying to tackle the ball carrier and dude next to him was day dreaming instead of protecting himself.