Chancellor's Fine

brimsalabim

Reaction score
that is assignment football. the team should pick this one up.

Hawks46

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":1gmd4zvf said:
My take on this.... hey Kalil protect your self big boy. You're running along with the ball carrier straight up like a billboard not protecting yourself.

You're right next to the ball carrier with Seahawks defenders coming in like heat seeking missiles with bad intentions.

To me it looks like Kam missed with his hit. We've seen him do this before and blast other Seahawks, friendly fire. I agree he needs to get his head up, not very sound technique there.... but we can't see in his head and know it was intentional or not.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Kam_Chancellor/status/657763894207758336[/tweet]

Oh yea, keep your head on a swivel. We were always taught that, and if we got crack back'd or blind sided, it was our fault for not paying attention. Think about it: there's 9 guys out there potentially blocking the one guy you're watching. You're more likely to get blocked than tackle someone.

I don't think Kam did that intentionally, unfortunately, intentions don't really matter with the rule. I'd think most of the helmet to helmets and leading with the head are due to poor technique or unintentional as your target is moving. Especially now that you get fined for it. It still doesn't matter, guys are getting fined. Hell, even James Harrison has quit head butting guys when he tackles.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
I'm just glad Kam didn't hurt himself on that play. He could have really compressed his neck with that hit.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Msfann":1amgsqen said:
I understand why they fine players for cheap hits but I don't think this was a dirty hit. He was trying to tackle the ball carrier and dude next to him was day dreaming instead of protecting himself.

It's not whether or not it's cheap, it's very dangerous. It's a job with risks but this one has a high probability of serious consequences. If players need fines to remind them to get their heads up when missing a tackle and headed straight for another player, then it needs to happen.

kidhawk

Reaction score
When I saw the hit live during the game, I thought for sure that he would get a flag. I was happy he didn't, but it was definitely illegal.

Kam is usually really good at making hard clean tackles, but when you flirt with the line, from time to time you're going to cross it.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
Intentional or not it was not legal. It was obvious to anyone. That is more dangerous to him than the player he hit. With a player like Kam you will get some of these. It goes with the territory. I don't think he is dirty just very aggressive. Big difference to me.

chris98251

Reaction score
So when Kam files his W2 this year he will have a ton of write offs :)

bmorepunk

Reaction score
LawlessHawk":3iurxwvt said:
Jeezus H.... Maybe the NFL should start handing out participation trophies and squeezable yogurts after the game...

Let's flip it.

Maybe the NFL should start handing out bladed weapons, anything goes.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
ivotuk":2ic0g0i5 said:
He needs to appeal that. No way was that intentional.

It doesn't have to be intentional. Careless is good enough.

253hawk

Reaction score
He didn't keep his head up and whiffed on the RB (who got slightly turned just before impact), hitting Kalil instead. If Kam kept his head up to see what he was going to hit, it wouldn't have happened. Why players think it's fine to risk their vertebrae and spinal cords by leading with the crown I'll never understand.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Young and stupid. Definitely have experience in that arena.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
"Unintentional"," today's current rules", "welcome to the NFL kids", these are all irrelevant. Spearing has been against the rules since I started playing football ( early 90s). Coaches preached against it and there were plenty of posters in the locker room area explaining what not to do.

Coaches told us not to duck our heads whether on offense or defense. This has nothing to do with using the crown of your helmet and hitting someone that's defenseless. It's about using the top of your helmet in a play ( spear) and protecting both players. I thought it would be a flag in the game but no call.

kearly

Reaction score
Seems like kind of an iffy fine to me. To the letter of the law it is spearing, albeit barely, but I wonder what Kam could have realistically done better in that situation while still hitting such a big target square in the chest. I don't think with a target that big he could get his head out of the way and still hit mid-chest with the shoulder, and if he kept his head up I don't think he'd get his shoulder in there either on such a big target. I guess that just a built in advantage bigger players have.

Oh well, just glad it wasn't flagged and that everyone was okay.

sam1313

Reaction score
I would bet that most of you claiming Kam deserved to be fined didn't play much football, because many of the comments above are absurd. Kam obviously thought the runner would be a bit further down the field, and sometimes the best you can do to keep an eye on the guy with the football is look back/down toward his feet. You certainly don't want to turn your head sideways as you are flying into a pile (far greater chance of injury) so sometimes looking down is the best you can do. Kam is clearly reaching out with his left hand for the guy with the ball (who was just slowed down more than Kam anticipated by Morgan (I think?)). I also don't believe the hit was all that "violent" or "unnecessary."

Further, there is virtually zero chance that Kam is going to cave in a lineman's chest. There is significant padding there, it is one of the most difficult places to hurt a person with a blunt object (especially on a big man), and I never recall even hearing of such an injury in 9 years of playing ball (or sense then for that matter).

In other words, I think this is a horrible rule if it can be called regardless of a player's intention. There are just times when you hit things with your helmet regardless of whether you are trying, and it shouldn't be an automatic penalty based on something as subjective as whether it was "violent." What's next? Will they call a running back for putting his helmet in the chest of a defender? Ughh...

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Kam has displayed poor technique and been out of position on a lot of his tackles this season, so I don't view it as intentional. It definitely deserved a flag, however, because the rule does not require intent. He hit the guy with force with the crown of his helmet.

253hawk

Reaction score
Intentional...no. Reckless, yes. I don't have a problem with the decision to fine him for it.