Do you bet on the Seahawks? If you do, do you think...

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
I have enough emotions invested when the Hawks play, don't like to add economy to it, most of the time, so I'd say it makes it worse. Betting on other teams is far more fun. When I bet on the Hawks it's mostly TD scorers or stat lines, the Russell Wilson 'over' in passing yards has been good to me this year. They seem to set it around 200-210 most games, though I expect them to start raising it soon.

pmedic920

Reaction score
I don't bet on the Seahawks.

A loss already hurts bad enough.
I could not imagine adding a fist full of dollars to that feeling.
That's why I never let them lose when I spend money on travel and tickets :{)

RastaHawk12!

Reaction score
Besides the office pool... I have one season long bet with my boss the Packer fan -

$5 a week. No blood if we both win or both lose, but pay up if you lose and the other guy wins. We started week two and so far I'm down $15! :oops: WTF!!!?

Canhawks

Reaction score
If I bet I always bet against the Hawks.That way if they win I am happy,and if they lose I am still pissed off,but have some extra cash to cheer me up.

2_0_6

Reaction score
I did this past game. A 49ers fan was running his mouth on another local fourm so we did a wager. Loser donates $10 to the site and the winner chooses the others avatar which needs to stay up for 2 weeks..

Here is his new avatar.. Wilson

RiverDog

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2nl4oyj4 said:
it makes the fan experience better or worse?

I did last year, vs. Kansas City. I was in Las Vegas at the time, and I bet $100 on us to lose. My rationale was that it was a win-win for me, because if we won, I'd be elated and would gladly lose the money if it meant a win, and if they lost, at least I would have a nice little consolation prize.

But it almost backfired. If I remember right, we were 3.5 point underdogs, and had we kicked a FG late like I thought we should have done, we could have lost by 1 yet covered the spread, meaning I would have lost the bet AND the Hawks would have lost the game.

Quite frequently, I'll bet on the over/under in games we are involved in if I see what I believe is a good bet.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
I never bet on my team one way or the other. No over/under bets, no prop bets. I may bet a friend something like, if you lose you wear the other teams hat for week, but that's all.

My love for the 'Hawks far exceeds any monetary win or loss. I watch for the pure love of the sport and the 'Hawks. If we win the good feelings I have exceed a few dollars. And if we lose.....let's not go there. :evil:

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I generally don't bet the Hawks In individual games even when in Vegas, it's uncanny how accurate Vegas is with the lines. Plus I received some great advice from a random guy at a sports book one time when I was about 21. He said never bet on a game where you either love or hate the teams as those emotions will skew your betting and burn you in the end.

I place a futures bet every year at the start of the season for the Hawks to win the Super Bowl, and it worked once! 8)

LymonHawk

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":301rd7f4 said:
I generally don't bet the Hawks In individual games even when in Vegas, it's uncanny how accurate Vegas is with the lines. Plus I received some great advice from a random guy at a sports book one time when I was about 21. He said never bet on a game where you either love or hate the teams as those emotions will skew your betting and burn you in the end.

I place a futures bet every year at the start of the season for the Hawks to win the Super Bowl, and it worked once! 8)

True dat.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":chs3kk36 said:

I disagree. All Vegas is trying to do is even out the betting so they don't pay out more than they take in no matter who wins. They make their money by taking 5% of the amount bet. It doesn't have anything to do with the relative quality of the teams.

So in the case of a game featuring a very popular team, say like the Cowboys, that have a fan base that will blindly bet on their team no matter what the smart bet is, it will alter the point spread.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":13s482b7 said:
I did this past game. A 49ers fan was running his mouth on another local fourm so we did a wager. Loser donates $10 to the site and the winner chooses the others avatar which needs to stay up for 2 weeks..

lol, now that's got to suck. Well done.

JimmyG

Reaction score
No, I don't bet. I used to dabble a little bit, but not anymore.

What I don't like about betting is that it kind of taints the experience of watching the game. I just want to watch a game and not worry about inane details. For example, let's say I were to bet on the 49ers/Seahawks game, and I take the "over" on the combined score. If we're up handedly (like we were on Thursday), I don't want to root for the 49ers to march down field and kick a garbage time field goal to meet the point spread just so I win the game.

Or, if I bet on a certain number of passing yards for Wilson... I don't want to get frustrated at the end of a game because we're up big and just run-run-run to wipe out the clock. It almost becomes a conflict of interest.

I also sort of feel this way about fantasy football. Fantasy has corrupted the experience so much that I simply refuse to watch games with my friends anymore. I have Sunday Ticket, and I used to invite people over to watch games with me. It got extremely annoying, because friends would constantly beg me to jump around to different games so they could watch their players. "Hey, could you switch to [garbage game that's a blowout and not interesting whatsoever]? I need a few more points out of [random player], I want to see if he can pick them up." No! I want to watch a hard-fought game that's coming down to the wire, we're not switching games so we can see if your fantasy player picks up an arbitrary number of yards in a meaningless game!

nanomoz

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":c8swu272 said:

I think I just started loving you.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2eb3aj3i said:
it makes the fan experience better or worse?
I never bet big on the Seahawks if I can help it. Of course I lost my mind right after the Suprbowl and totally ignored my rule. I will very likely be losing a big chunk of money in January or December....

Regardless, the reason I never bet on the Seahawks is because the experience of watching them is heart attack inducing. NOT FUN.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
RiverDog":1f6h6ck7 said:
Sports Hernia":1f6h6ck7 said:

I disagree. All Vegas is trying to do is even out the betting so they don't pay out more than they take in no matter who wins. They make their money by taking 5% of the amount bet. It doesn't have anything to do with the relative quality of the teams.

So in the case of a game featuring a very popular team, say like the Cowboys, that have a fan base that will blindly bet on their team no matter what the smart bet is, it will alter the point spread.
I agree that Vegas wants even money to eliminate risk of losing big and are happy to take their rake. Doesn't change the fact they are damn good at setting the lines most of the time.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
JimmyG":4696i4dw said:
No, I don't bet. I used to dabble a little bit, but not anymore.

What I don't like about betting is that it kind of taints the experience of watching the game. I just want to watch a game and not worry about inane details. For example, let's say I were to bet on the 49ers/Seahawks game, and I take the "over" on the combined score. If we're up handedly (like we were on Thursday), I don't want to root for the 49ers to march down field and kick a garbage time field goal to meet the point spread just so I win the game.

Or, if I bet on a certain number of passing yards for Wilson... I don't want to get frustrated at the end of a game because we're up big and just run-run-run to wipe out the clock. It almost becomes a conflict of interest.

I also sort of feel this way about fantasy football. Fantasy has corrupted the experience so much that I simply refuse to watch games with my friends anymore. I have Sunday Ticket, and I used to invite people over to watch games with me. It got extremely annoying, because friends would constantly beg me to jump around to different games so they could watch their players. "Hey, could you switch to [garbage game that's a blowout and not interesting whatsoever]? I need a few more points out of [random player], I want to see if he can pick them up." No! I want to watch a hard-fought game that's coming down to the wire, we're not switching games so we can see if your fantasy player picks up an arbitrary number of yards in a meaningless game!
I hate fantasy football as well. Everyone thinks I should care about their fantasy team and their players. I know I'm in the minority but IMHO it delutes the football watching experience for everyone around as some FF goober needs Romo to throw for 350 yards so he wins his tough matchup that week.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I couldn't handle the stress of money being involved in Seahawk games. I feel like I will live 10 years less already just from watching the games without money involved.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I have found that the point spread makers know way more about football than me. There are better ways I can lose my money.