If not Kris Richard, then who?

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Personally, I really, really wanted KNJ to take the position of D coordinator. But then he bolted to take that vacant spot with Oakland. Does anyone know if he was offered it here? After Norton was out of the picture, I really wanted to see Seto get, for reasons unknown. Probably because he's been coaching with Pete for years. I was never high on Richard for beginning D coordinator. He was a genius secondary coach. He reminds me a lot of Lovie Smith. Secondary guru, who plays a lot of zone D as a coordinator/head coach. Maybe it's just me, but I'm seeing almost no heavy press man to man. Why is Richard going away from his bread and butter? It's been successful for years. I just don't get it.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Gus Bradley will most likely get fired in Jacksonville ... Would you take him back?

northseahawk

Reaction score
joeseahawks":2jbpxypj said:
Gus Bradley will most likely get fired in Jacksonville ... Would you take him back?

Gladly, but that would mean completely losing Richards.

firebee

Reaction score
joeseahawks":ypgz0p3t said:
Yes.... Wouldn't even hesitate to bring him back. We'd get back to the basic bump and run cover 3 and he'd get our defensive front rolling again. I feel bad for him... he inherited a garbage can down in Jacksonville.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Was thinking about the Richards situation and it occurred to me, the problem may not be with his style of defense, but more the players familiarity with him.

There are a lot of companies when making changes do not promote from withen, but rather from outside the org. This is true in the military as well, when someone gets promoted and takes over a company, it won't be from the same company but, from outside the company.

The problem is, players are too familiar with Richards and might not take everything to heart as they would if someone new came in. Players know Richards as the DB coach and just don't give him the respect he should be getting as a DC. OTOH, Richards is also very familiar with his players and may feel a little over whelmed trying to get players to adapt to a new system.

More I think about it, the more I think this could be a real possibility and really the only answer is getting a new DC that doesn't have that same familiarity. They did it last time with Quinn and it worked out pretty good.

sam1313

Reaction score
I think you guys are misplacing your angst. Have you seen Richards on the sidelines? He is every bit as fired up as ET...

And, I really like his play calls for the most part. While there have been mistakes, I have seen a lot of QB hits and sacks from blitzes that Bradley would have never called. And, I don't see us paying for those blitzes. Other teams have gotten the best of us in the 4th quarter, but they did that when Bradley was around too - RW just made unbelievable comebacks. Richardson may have had some issues in these games, but he hasn't had that much time with his DBs in full play. Give him a couple more games before you are ready to toss him to the curb.

ARhawk

Reaction score
joeseahawks":11bdeqat said:
As much as I liked Gus Bradley, he was a lot of the reason we lost to the Falcons in the divisional round in 2012. The biggest issue that game was the severe lack of a pass rush, but Bradley's prevent defense at the end of the game allowed Atlanta to kick the game-winning field goal. Bradley always got way too conservative at the end of games we were leading in, but the offense bailed him out more often than not.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Maybe I missed this, but do we bump receivers at all? Did we bump Olsen at all? We are allowed to do it in the first 5 yards, right?
Sometimes, I feel we play the exact same defense all the time. I mean ... teams watch films. They have been preparing how to these chances for years ... why can't we show different looks?
I heard Kris Richards conference ... honestly, I 'm not impressed with him. Maybe he didn't want to give too much. But I'm really concerned about his ability to communicate clearly.
However, let's say it ... the issues we are having now were also glaring in the SB ... under the Dan Quinn.

Laloosh

Reaction score
I think it's funny to see people upset about Richard tbh. The guy's in his first season as DC and he's trying to handle the secondary stuff? Let him grow into the job. Coaches learn as they go as well as players, folks. It's like we're supposed to be incapable of bad calls or plays and even then people would bitch about not having enough style points (seriously).

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
I wanted Ken too. It is probably safe to say Ken is trying to make a name for himself. Lot of defensive talent in Oakland with a defensive minded head coach. Lot of spoils to reap in a familiar town.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Laloosh":3vyd08br said:
I think it's funny to see people upset about Richard tbh. The guy's in his first season as DC and he's trying to handle the secondary stuff? Let him grow into the job. Coaches learn as they go as well as players, folks. It's like we're supposed to be incapable of bad calls or plays and even then people would bitch about not having enough style points (seriously).

This. Season isn't even halfway over and the torches and pitch forks are out already. Sheesh.

crosfam

Reaction score
I think we should fire our guy and instead hire the DB architect of the famous "Legion Of Boom", who helped his defense be the best in the league and go to two straight super bowls, and a blowout of the leagues best offense in SB48.

Or just be patient.