Should Kevin Pierre-Louis move to Strong Safety?

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Despite being one of the best athletes on the roster, KPL played just one snap in the opener while being stuck behind K.J. Wight at OLB. KPL is a much more fluid and explosive athlete than Dion Bailey, so why not give him a shot at Strong Safety? Another poster suggested this a few weeks ago. It's really not that different than his assignments would be when playing Will LB. Might as well get the best 11 on the field, right? I'm surprised they haven't given this a try already.

KPL's combine: http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/kev ... id=2543563
Bailey's combine: http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/dio ... id=2543668

KPL's weight: 232 lbs
Bailey's weight: 201 lbs

KPL's arm length: 32 1/2''
Bailey's arm length: 32''

KPL's 40: 4.51 seconds
Bailey's 40: 4.66 seconds

KPL's vertical: 39 inches
Bailey's vertical: 34 inches

KPL's broad jump: 128 inches
Bailey's broad jump: 113 inches

KPL's 3-cone: 6.92 seconds
Bailey's 3-cone: 6.97 seconds

KPL's short shuttle: 4.02 seconds
Bailey's short shuttle: 4.15 seconds

KPL's bench press: 28 reps
Bailey's bench press: 14 reps

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":wafvoxez said:
Might want to put a ? on the end of this title.

Good point. It's just a hypothetical to consider, because the raw potential is there for him to be a Kam Chancellor-like player. Whenever he KPL has received an opportunity to play, he has played well. It also doesn't mean he can't move back to Will whenever Kam returns. Just another way to get him on the field in the meantime.

Look at this play from him in Week 10 of last season (before he got hurt). He hurdles a blocker and then hits the receiver for no gain on the play:
LivelyDangerousJaguar.gif

Mojambo

Reaction score
I love this idea in early August, but I fear it's a little late now.

northseahawk

Reaction score
he will replace Irvin next year. plus it takes time to learn the new position for which training camp and offseason is used for. Too late now.

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Mojambo":3e36fziz said:

Things like this happen, and the coaches have to adjust. Rather than rely on undrafted rookies to replace Kam, why not use an actual draft pick who is a supreme athlete in space? Throw him in the fire, and see how he does. I doubt he would be less impactful than Bailey was yesterday.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3kmt3p06 said:
Mojambo":3kmt3p06 said:

Things like this happen, and the coaches have to adjust. Rather than rely on undrafted rookies to replace Kam, why not use an actual draft pick who is a supreme athlete in space? Throw him in the fire, and see how he does. I doubt he would be less impactful than Bailey was yesterday.

Well You sold me.

chris98251

Reaction score
Renohawk":70ucm07d said:
Pinkins also came to mind since he's put on some weight, he has speed as well.

He was a safety before they made his conversion, he knows the spacing etc, if he needed to drop a bit of weight I don't thnk he would have a problem, harder to put on good weight then lose it.

getnasty

Reaction score
No, this is NFL not High School football you just don't go from LB to SS overnight.

chris98251

Reaction score
He played SS in college as well from memory, he is fast. Easier to go back to what you know.

Eric Pinkins

School: San Diego State
Position: DB
Height: 6-3 Weight: 215 lbs

justafan

Reaction score
I am not saying it cant be done or wouldnt work.I bet the staff has looked at all options and decided Bailey was the best option.

Basis4day

Reaction score
getnasty":37buydzv said:
No, this is NFL not High School football you just don't go from LB to SS overnight.

I bet there are still fans here at cant believe we didn't move Kam at LB, Browner at SS, and Thomas at Nickel Corner.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
getnasty":1afbiy5c said:
Ya or DT to OG, oh wait...

kearly

Reaction score
chris98251":329w1ezv said:
I was thinking Pinkins.

I love this idea, but I think we might have to wait until next August to see it.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":pc16bzlz said:
getnasty":pc16bzlz said:
Ya or DT to OG, oh wait...

Those are long term projects whereas KPL is a likely successor at LB next year when they can't retain Irvin.
I don't think moving him for 10 games (Assuming Kam comes back to not lose an accrued year) is going to make a dramatic difference.

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
In terms of KPL's development, any way you can get him on the field is going to make him a better player going forward. Moving him to SS in the short term would certainly help him develop in coverage.