New rules added this year

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Haven't seen much discussion on this, but it's an interesting topic, and will probably have an impact on more than a couple of games this year. To wit, here are the new rule changes as broadcast during the game last night:

- Extra point will be snapped from 15 yard line.
- Two-point conversion still snapped at two-yard line.
- Defense can score two points on returns.
- Teams can change decision after penalty occurs.

First, the extra point from the 15-yard line is a cool new twist. More extra points will be missed this year than in previous years when the average, I believe I remember, was around 1%. Of course, only a half dozen or so field goals from 20-29 yards were missed last year, so it may not change all that much.

What will change is any fake extra points going for two-point conversions. Hard to imagine anyone lining up at the 15 yard line and trying a fake two-point conversion. Sure, teams do the ol' fake punt play sometimes, and so I suspect some will here on rare occasion. Still, it'll cause it to be far more rare, and I don't like that aspect of it at all.

The defense able to score two points on a return just like if the offense would have with a successful attempt is absolutely the correct thing to do. It's not much, and it won't affect hardly any games at all, but it's far better than the possibility of nothing at all gained from a really stellar play on defense.

Changing their decision after a penalty occurs is a good thing too. Keeps the game integrity together, where plays are based on calculated moves rather than crappy luck after a calculated move has been made. At least in those instances.

Thoughts?

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":3aryh4yl said:
Haven't seen much discussion on this, but it's an interesting topic, and will probably have an impact on more than a couple of games this year. To wit, here are the new rule changes as broadcast during the game last night:

- Extra point will be snapped from 15 yard line.
- Two-point conversion still snapped at two-yard line.
- Teams can change decision after penalty occurs.

First, the extra point from the 15-yard line is a cool new twist. More extra points will be missed this year than in previous years when the average, I believe I remember, was around 1%. Of course, only a half dozen or so field goals from 20-29 yards were missed last year, so it may not change all that much.

What will change is any fake extra points going for two-point conversions. Hard to imagine anyone lining up at the 15 yard line and trying a fake two-point conversion. Sure, teams do the ol' fake punt play sometimes, and so I suspect some will here on rare occasion. Still, it'll cause it to be far more rare, and I don't like that aspect of it at all.

The defense able to score two points on a return just like if the offense would have with a successful attempt is absolutely the correct thing to do. It's not much, and it won't affect hardly any games at all, but it's far better than the possibility of nothing at all gained from a really stellar play on defense.

Changing their decision after a penalty occurs is a good thing too. Keeps the game integrity together, where plays are based on calculated moves rather than crappy luck after a calculated move has been made. At least in those instances.

Thoughts?

I'm not fond of the extra point change. I didn't think the old way was broken. Any kicker in the NFL should be able to net an extra point, so game didn't change much in terms of being better. Just my two cents.

OP
OP
Seahawk Sailor

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
hawkfan68":f9rhus41 said:
I'm not fond of the extra point change. I didn't think the old way was broken. Any kicker in the NFL should be able to net an extra point, so game didn't change much in terms of being better. Just my two cents.

I wasn't terribly thrilled with changing the extra point as I too didn't see much of a need for it. Whatever. It is what it is now. Oh well.

Maybe they should have made it more like the attempt after a rugby try, where the kick is attempted from where the try was scored. Wouldn't that be fun for those sideline-brushing touchdowns! Also, UK-ers correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't extra points after the try kicked by the player that scored the try? Wouldn't that be fun!

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":r1olhidt said:

Thoughts?
I would think it to be smarter to take the Interception, or fumble recovery back down the field to the 1 Yard line, having the possession, lay down, and let the Offense take it the rest of the way, and get 6 points instead of taking it in for the 2.
Am I not understanding the whole concept here?

OP
OP
Seahawk Sailor

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
scutterhawk":vbp0e7nf said:
Seahawk Sailor":vbp0e7nf said:

Thoughts?
I would think it to be smarter to take the Interception, or fumble recovery back down the field to the 1 Yard line, having the possession, lay down, and let the Offense take it the rest of the way, and get 6 points instead of taking it in for the 2.
Am I not understanding the whole concept here?

I think it's a whole play/dead play thing. The attempt stands as a single one-off play. If the defense intercepts it, play's over whether they score or not. The opposing offense receives a kickoff rather than taking the ball where the defense recovered it. Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

sutz

Reaction score
First off, not a fan of the change. One thing to note, the one point differential makes it really, really stupid to try a fake from the 15 IMHO. Too much risk for almost no reward. That says to me that it is pretty much off the table.

Giving the D the chance to score what amounts to a safety is not really the worst part of the change, I think. In fact, it might be the most interesting part of the whole package. Makes the kick try even more critical. A three point swing like that could be crucial, given how many games are won by about that much every season. On a block, the ball could be bounced back as far as mid field, which makes the pick it up and run option pretty viable.

Chawker

Reaction score
It does basically take the fake extra point out of play, for the most part. But why line up on the 15 yard line when you could take it at the 2 yardline. Only Jack Patera!

bigskydoc

Reaction score
I used to think it would be impossible to make the most boring play in football even more boring, but somehow the NFL succeeded. It used to be that at least there was a possibility of a fake. Now, barring some miraculous Chancellor like stunt, or the extraordinarily rare flubbed snap, there is essentially zero chance of something interesting happening on these beer run plays.

-bsd

OP
OP
Seahawk Sailor

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
bigskydoc":1z40316w said:
I used to think it would be impossible to make the most boring play in football even more boring, but somehow the NFL succeeded. It used to be that at least there was a possibility of a fake. Now, barring some miraculous Chancellor like stunt, or the extraordinarily rare flubbed snap, there is essentially zero chance of something interesting happening on these beer run plays.

-bsd

Ray Finkle

BlueTalon

Reaction score
I was really against the change in the overtime rules when that happened, but I have gotten used to it. This time around, I don't mind. I think there will be more excitement with these plays than some of you seem to fear. Certainly they won't be any more boring than they already are.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
For the questioners....it is a PAT....or Point After Touchdown...if the team takes it back, they get 2 pts. If they get tackled prior to the endzone, no points scored on the PAT. Kickoff proceeds as normal. That is my understanding of the new point after system. Remember that a field goal is a different story as the defense can get a touchdown off a miss. I doubt I am incorrect here, but if you find something different, please advise.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Making an extra point is less of a gimme. Me like. I know it's not much more, but there will be a bit of extra tension on the play. Defenses might play it a bit more aggressively knowing if they block it they can run it back for points. Me like.

How may fakes were there last year?

If the defense doesn't score on the block it's a dead ball and the team who just scored the TD still kicks off.

sutz

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":2x3o6iui said:
For the questioners....it is a PAT....or Point After Touchdown...if the team takes it back, they get 2 pts. If they get tackled prior to the endzone, no points scored on the PAT. Kickoff proceeds as normal. That is my understanding of the new point after system. Remember that a field goal is a different story as the defense can get a touchdown off a miss. I doubt I am incorrect here, but if you find something different, please advise.

I believe you nailed it, per my understanding of it.