Kasen Williams added to Seahawks minicamp roster

kearly

Reaction score
http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seah ... mp-roster/

Apparently he failed a physical with the Bengals. Williams went undrafted.

I've personally always thought that Williams was a hype job for the most part, however, he was a mostly competent WR at UW. At 6'3", 217, and with some medical concerns, he's a bit like Seattle's own UDFA WR, Austin Hill. I am more upbeat about Hill's chances, but nothing wrong with taking a look.

Of course, not even UW homers thought Jermaine Kearse would ever see a snap in the NFL... stranger things have happened.

Basis4day

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/596783413622738944[/tweet]

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Williams has potential, and never had much of a QB. I love Jake locker and kieth price seems like a good dude but Williams could be a decent receiver in the right role, just like Kearse.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
kearly":3vjchaxj said:
http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seahawks/former-husky-kasen-williams-added-to-seahawks-rookie-mini-camp-roster/

Apparently he failed a physical with the Bengals. Williams went undrafted.

I've personally always thought that Williams was a hype job for the most part, however, he was a mostly competent WR at UW. At 6'3", 217, and with some medical concerns, he's a bit like Seattle's own UDFA WR, Austin Hill. I am more upbeat about Hill's chances, but nothing wrong with taking a look.

Of course, not even UW homers thought Jermaine Kearse would ever see a snap in the NFL... stranger things have happened.

Williams was one of the top recruited WR's out of high school, caught 77 balls and 6 TD's in 2012, so he wasn't all hype. His injury wrecked his career, he has no burst, lost speed and isn't right.

I credit the guy for trying, but he's just not the same guy so I can't see how he's going to make a roster.

drrew

Reaction score
Kasen Williams is (was?) a freak athlete, but for whatever reason that didn't translate to the field.

He's the all time Washington state record in the triple jump. He's within inches of the all time Washington state record in the long jump. His high jump numbers were near 7 feet and he was a multiple time state champ.

Somehow, with that sort of explosion in his legs, he never could get separation on the field and never was running away from anyone....and that was before the horrible foot injury. Kearse got open at the UW, he just dropped a good chunk of the passes.

I can't imagine he has an NFL future, but good for him that the Seahawks are at least giving him a small chance.

Tical21

Reaction score
Here's that big receiver we've been looking for!

ErikG803

Reaction score
Awesome!! Really hope he can get back to pre injury form. Really wanted him as a Hawk back then

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
Williams will never regain his pre-injury form. Hell he can't even pass a physical. He has absolutely nothing left, and couldn't get an inch of separation if he was being covered by Sealver Siliga. Bringing him in this weekend on a tryout basis as a local guy is harmless, and has some minor PR appeal on a local level. But it's also a complete waste of time.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Sounds like Austin Hill failed his physical.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/gbellseattle/status/596816599929094144[/tweet]

Tical21

Reaction score
This is going to sound a bit silly, but I think Price gave him a really raw deal. Williams isn't a separation guy, and Price never seemed to know where to put the ball. I think if they would have just force-fed him a bunch of balls, you would have seen him find ways to catch them and had huge numbers. They just would never throw him the ball. They preferred to throw bubble screens to Mickens and throw down field to Smith.

keatonisballin

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2dqbu2ni said:

Damn. Alot of people were hyping up this signing at the time. I dont personally know anything about him but the hype had me hopeful he might be a contributor. Oh well.

CPHawk

Reaction score
keatonisballin":3rmvbetd said:
Hasselbeck":3rmvbetd said:

Damn. Alot of people were hyping up this signing at the time. I dont personally know anything about him but the hype had me hopeful he might be a contributor. Oh well.

Before his injuries he was a really good WR for UA. In 2012 he had 81 catches for over 1300 yds, but then missed all of 2013, and never really got back to form. It's to bad to see those things happen to guys.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1txlfnco said:
Im rooting for KW as a dawgs fan but I think it's a severe long shot.

With about 97 guys in camp, I'd say that the new faces have less than a 50-50 chance to make the team. But as Pete says....."Everyone must play themselves on to this team."

Smellyman

Reaction score
Tical21":2dziffdo said:
This is going to sound a bit silly, but I think Price gave him a really raw deal. Williams isn't a separation guy, and Price never seemed to know where to put the ball. I think if they would have just force-fed him a bunch of balls, you would have seen him find ways to catch them and had huge numbers. They just would never throw him the ball. They preferred to throw bubble screens to Mickens and throw down field to Smith.

If you can't separate in college good luck in the NFL

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Smellyman":3gmog8hd said:
Tical21":3gmog8hd said:

If you can't separate in college good luck in the NFL
Not comparing the two but Mike Williams couldn't separate. Tical has a point. In BMW first year here, Hass threw to him, covered or not. In TJacks first year, he avoided BMW like the plague partly because TJacks accuracy left a lot to be desired and he didn't want to risk anything.

Now before you say "kasen Williams is not mike Williams" I know that. But WRs don't necessarily need to "separate" in order to be effective in this league.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Is there a limit to how many UDFA a team can sign?

drrew

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":2degmrw0 said:
Is there a limit to how many UDFA a team can sign?

Not as long as they fit on the 90 person roster. There is however a relatively low amount of bonus money they can spread around amongst UDFA signings, something like $85k.