Kasen Williams added to Seahawks minicamp roster

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
"He looked like he fit" ...and what were all you detractors saying? [FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY][FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY] I'm excited for the kid.

Seafan

Reaction score
His dad, Aaron Williams was jacked in high school. I personally witnessed his physical prowess when he won the 100 meter hurdles and didn't fly over the hurdles but instead he flew through them (he broke them with his thigh). It was an unbelievable sight. He went on to play football/track at UW.

I wonder how Kasen failed his physical. Any word?

vin.couve12

Reaction score
When Kasen Williams first went to UW he was one of the more exciting players to watch in the Pac-10 (It was still 10 then) even early on. He's all arms and legs and even then was one of the best at just plain getting the ball. He's got natural ability. Obviously the very serious injury derailed things and initially took away some of the explosiveness. If he's healthy, I'm not so sure we don't have just a guy who can make the roster, but within a year or so can really contribute to the continued big play ability of our offense (many wouldn't think it, but we're one of the top teams in big plays).

AgentDib

Reaction score
I'm fully on board with the Kasen Williams hype. The ability to catch a football is majorly underrated somehow but Kasen showed in his first year that he could do exactly what people are clamoring for big WRs to do. He could jump out of the stadium, get his hands on the football, and either bring it down himself or make sure nobody did. I've always liked him a lot more than Kearse who seems to have two negative plays for every two great plays.

Yes, Kasen wasn't nearly the same player after his injury and in order to have a shot he needs to finally be healthy again which he is probably isn't. But still, this is exactly the sort of UDFA player you want to root for because his upside is a lot higher than most.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
We didn't target tall receivers in the draft but we sure as heck found a whole bunch of them to compete.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
AgentDib":1fqf3f17 said:
I'm fully on board with the Kasen Williams hype. The ability to catch a football is majorly underrated somehow but Kasen showed in his first year that he could do exactly what people are clamoring for big WRs to do. He could jump out of the stadium, get his hands on the football, and either bring it down himself or make sure nobody did. I've always liked him a lot more than Kearse who seems to have two negative plays for every two great plays.

Yes, Kasen wasn't nearly the same player after his injury and in order to have a shot he needs to finally be healthy again which he is probably isn't. But still, this is exactly the sort of UDFA player you want to root for because his upside is a lot higher than most.
Kearse has an innate ability to judge spacing on a play. I listened to him explain a touchdown catch once where he was in the slot as a Hawk. He explained the spacing of a cover 2 scheme was such that he had to draw a safety out wide so he purposely started the route out wide to draw the safety out and then cut skinny just inside of the safety for the TD catch.

First, that takes an understanding of defenses to recognize what coverage they're in based of movement and spacing. Second, it takes another level of understanding of the offense and general geometry of football to lightly alter the route to maximize effectiveness.

Kearse has had his share of negative plays. That's not disputed. However, Kearse is on the field because the game really seems to come easy for him, aside from his good deep speed, good catching radius, and ability to win at the high point and generally just make amazing plays.

He gets it.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
_rm20921-2.jpg

Backhanded catch or even self tip is kind of a rarity. Even in the NFL.

AgentDib

Reaction score
vin.couve12":1sj9t3yv said:
Kearse has had his share of negative plays. That's not disputed. However, Kearse is on the field because the game really seems to come easy for him, aside from his good deep speed, good catching radius, and ability to win at the high point and generally just make amazing plays.
There's no doubt about Kearse's ability to make big plays; he's already filled a decent highlight reel if you include his career at UW, or even just his last game against Baylor. In my opinion his best stat coming into the NFL was that his red zone conversion rate exceeded 40% his last three seasons, which was very good if you think about the Huskies '10 and '11 offenses.

My concern is that on this team there's a strong benefit to a receiver having a high floor. When you have a dominant defense and are generally favored the goal should be to reduce uncertainty, because the way superior teams lose games is by facing uncertainty and getting unlucky. I can't explain why Kearse has had such diverse outcomes but I would give up a decent amount of expected output in order to avoid a few more three and outs or interceptions. What Williams doesn't get enough credit for was his catching strength and ability to box cornerbacks out, and the chance that he could recover his 2013 form is worth being excited about even if it's a long shot.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
AgentDib":ojwovcgh said:
vin.couve12":ojwovcgh said:
There's no doubt about Kearse's ability to make big plays; he's already filled a decent highlight reel if you include his career at UW, or even just his last game against Baylor. In my opinion his best stat coming into the NFL was that his red zone conversion rate exceeded 40% his last three seasons, which was very good if you think about the Huskies '10 and '11 offenses.

My concern is that on this team there's a strong benefit to a receiver having a high floor. When you have a dominant defense and are generally favored the goal should be to reduce uncertainty, because the way superior teams lose games is by facing uncertainty and getting unlucky. I can't explain why Kearse has had such diverse outcomes but I would give up a decent amount of expected output in order to avoid a few more three and outs or interceptions. What Williams doesn't get enough credit for was his catching strength and ability to box cornerbacks out, and the chance that he could recover his 2013 form is worth being excited about even if it's a long shot.
Nice post.

Jville

Reaction score
[instagram]https://instagram.com/p/2tao8ljEmh/[/instagram]

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Well, apparently the Hawks were interested, but not enough to bring him back. We barely knew ya, Kasen!

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
^^^ There is still a chance he'll be on the roster. UW is on a quarter system and I think if they are interested him they will sign him after he finishes college.

No point in wasting a roster spot on a player that can't participate in the off-season programs for the time being.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Jville":31nzv1ce said:
[instagram]https://instagram.com/p/2tao8ljEmh/[/instagram]
Well that settles it, eh? Good for him, glad he's here to comPETE!

vin.couve12

Reaction score
My guess is that he probably still won't pass a physical (Cinci) even though he's obviously effective enough to catch the eye of the coaching staff and will be signed down the road.