Stats of #1 Def and #1 Off Since 2003

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
There has been a lot of talk about that any QB could of won a Superbowl with our defense. This comes from our fans as well as other team's fans. Course people will point to Trent Dilfer as being the posterboy. I made a color coordinated chart from Excel to prove the point that not all #1 Defenses can win the Superbowl, Heck not all #1 offenses can do that. Sometimes you need a balance team to be able to win. Yes our defense for the last 2 years have been elite, but you still need points to be able to win and last year we didn't have many scores from our defense like we had in 2013.

One play away from winning it all but it's hard enough to go back to back, but we have the best chance out of anyone to go back again.

Some things I noticed
You can see that Peyton won a Superbowl with a really good defense.
Aaron Rodgers won with a really good defense.
The Steelers were the #1 Defense 5 times and only won 2 SB, one as #4 ranked Defense
Saints were the #1 Offense 5 times and won 1 SB
The 2010 Chargers was the #1 Offense and #1 Defense and couldn't get into the playoffs
2009 Saints was the #1 Offense and won their Superbowl that year with a bad defense
2003 and 2004 Brady won with top #10 Defenses
2009 Jets had a very bad offense but had the #1 Defense made it into the Championship game

1st Bracket, Superbowl Winners Stats
2nd Bracket, #1 Defenses Stats
3rd Bracket, #1 Offenses Stats

Stats

Crizilla

Reaction score
"The 2002 Chargers was the #1 Offense and #1 Defense and couldn't get into the playoffs"

LOL WUT

damn

Polk738

Reaction score
I think that's a typo, the Bucs had the #1 Defense that year, and the raiders had the #1 Offense-which were the two teams that played in the SB that year. I believe he meant 2010 Chargers

Hawks46

Reaction score
Yea, that was one of the toughest teams in the regular season that had that epic collapse at the last 1/4 of the season.

OP
OP
theincrediblesok

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Polk738":3iq7db1r said:
I think that's a typo, the Bucs had the #1 Defense that year, and the raiders had the #1 Offense-which were the two teams that played in the SB that year. I believe he meant 2010 Chargers

Yup a typo on my part, It's fixed now. Crazy though to think about. Having the #1 offense and defense couldn't even guarantee a playoff spot....

volsunghawk

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":29tzqi68 said:
Polk738":29tzqi68 said:

Yup a typo on my part, It's fixed now. Crazy though to think about. Having the #1 offense and defense couldn't even guarantee a playoff spot....

Well, they were #1 in YARDS on offense and defense.

They were #2 on offense in points, and #10 on defense. Still, theoretically a really good team (even though they played one of the easiest schedules in the league).

However, they were a middle-of-the-pack team when it came to turning the ball over, and their defense was among the worst in the league at generating turnovers. Their offense could throw it all over the place, and Rivers had a really good year. But they weren't a great running team by any stretch.

They were rated pretty well by DVOA, with a top 10 offense and defense. However, they were the absolute worst in the league in special teams, and it cost them.

In their first three losses (KC, Seattle, Oakland), they gave up special teams TDs: a 94-yard punt return that was the margin of victory against the Chiefs, 2 kickoff return TDs from Leon Washington sunk them in our game, and the Raiders game featured a blocked punt return TD.

In their loss to the Rams, they gave up a 42 yard punt return and had a FG blocked (margin of loss - 3 points). Against the Patriots, they turned the ball over 4 times and still only lost by 3 (special teams contribution: Kris Brown - who was kicking in replacement of an injured Nate Kaeding - missed a 50 yard FG with 27 seconds to go). In their second loss to the Raiders, they couldn't run the ball and couldn't stop the run, and special teams added another missed FG.

And finally, on a relatively windy day in Cincy, their pass D made Carson Palmer look like a god while their punter kept giving the Bengals great field position.

If they win one of those Oakland games and beat KC in Week 1, they'd have won their division.

253hawk

Reaction score
I don't feel like making a thread just for this, so I'll leave it here.

TvdFluY

Oh yay the mobile format kills image width yet again...

OP
OP
theincrediblesok

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
253hawk":3dp4nvp3 said:
I don't feel like making a thread just for this, so I'll leave it here.

TvdFluY

Oh yay the mobile format kills image width yet again...

You can say that the Seahawks are off the charts!

OP
OP
theincrediblesok

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
volsunghawk":1hvzdwai said:
theincrediblesok":1hvzdwai said:
Polk738":1hvzdwai said:

Well, they were #1 in YARDS on offense and defense.

They were #2 on offense in points, and #10 on defense. Still, theoretically a really good team (even though they played one of the easiest schedules in the league).

However, they were a middle-of-the-pack team when it came to turning the ball over, and their defense was among the worst in the league at generating turnovers. Their offense could throw it all over the place, and Rivers had a really good year. But they weren't a great running team by any stretch.

They were rated pretty well by DVOA, with a top 10 offense and defense. However, they were the absolute worst in the league in special teams, and it cost them.

In their first three losses (KC, Seattle, Oakland), they gave up special teams TDs: a 94-yard punt return that was the margin of victory against the Chiefs, 2 kickoff return TDs from Leon Washington sunk them in our game, and the Raiders game featured a blocked punt return TD.

In their loss to the Rams, they gave up a 42 yard punt return and had a FG blocked (margin of loss - 3 points). Against the Patriots, they turned the ball over 4 times and still only lost by 3 (special teams contribution: Kris Brown - who was kicking in replacement of an injured Nate Kaeding - missed a 50 yard FG with 27 seconds to go). In their second loss to the Raiders, they couldn't run the ball and couldn't stop the run, and special teams added another missed FG.

And finally, on a relatively windy day in Cincy, their pass D made Carson Palmer look like a god while their punter kept giving the Bengals great field position.

If they win one of those Oakland games and beat KC in Week 1, they'd have won their division.

That might be another thing that later I might get into start charting their DVOA rankings and see what else we can learn about our team and others.