what is "picking" or a pick?

crucifyd

Reaction score
speaking of the infamous call, I've seen several posts referring to somebody "picking" (see quotes below)...excuse my ignorance but what does this mean / refer to?

... for Marshawn. I don't think it was exactly the same play. Marshawn started in the backfield and just ran a slant pattern. It looks like P-Rich is picking for someone else, and Marshawn is one of the last reads on the play. I put that one on Wilson. Would've been a great throw, but it was risky. ...

... play in Carolina? Near the goalline? PRich picked for Marshawn. I remember thinking it would've worked if PRIch got the pass and Lynch did the picking. But, I'm not smart, so I don't understand why having the smallest dude on the field pick off a DB and a safety is the right choice. I'm just ...

cheese22

Reaction score
Picking usually happens when a receiver runs a pattern that is designed to 'accidentally' run into a db (who is guarding a different receiver) or forces that db to change his course in order to get his teammate open. In those plays that are referenced, it sounds like PRich was running a pattern that would 'bump' the db guarding Lynch in order to get Lynch open.

firebee

Reaction score
When a player runs a route to rub a defender covering another receiver and help him get open. The thought of P-Rich picking a LB that's covering Lynch on a swing or flat... LOL and SMDH. That's some classic Bevelling right there.

Seafan

Reaction score
The term was stolen from basketball. It's the same concept, an offensive player "interferes" with a defender to free up a team mate.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
It's a similar concept to a "pick" or "screen" in basketball. The goal is to free up a teammate by getting in the way of the guy covering him. Much like basketball, you're technically not allowed to initiate the contact. However, it's possible to redirect the defender by simply getting in his way by "accident."

On "the play," Kearse's job was to run a route that got in the way of the CB covering Lockette. If successful, this would have prevented the interception. Unfortanely, Kearse got "jammed" by Browner at the line of scrimmage and essentially blew his assignment.

Latest posts