Malcom Butler's Game Prep

BleuEyedHawk

Reaction score
A Boston ESPN article quotes Butler's game preparation:

"At practice, the scout team ran the same play and I got beat on it. (Coach) Bill (Belichick) told me 'You've got to be on that. 'At that time (of the play), memorization came through', he said. 'I just jumped the route. I made a play. Just do your job -- do it the best way you can. I just did my job'.

I searched the threads before starting a new one and I'm surprised that no one has mentioned this. (If they did and I missed it, sorry). Just as we scout and prep the opponents teams, they do the same for us. Maybe we're more predictable than we thought despite Wilson's scrambling.

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/i ... olm-butler

Marvin49

Reaction score
BleuEyedHawk":1nifuszt said:

"At practice, the scout team ran the same play and I got beat on it. (Coach) Bill (Belichick) told me 'You've got to be on that. 'At that time (of the play), memorization came through', he said. 'I just jumped the route. I made a play. Just do your job -- do it the best way you can. I just did my job'.

I searched the threads before starting a new one and I'm surprised that no one has mentioned this. (If they did and I missed it, sorry). Just as we scout and prep the opponents teams, they do the same for us. Maybe we're more predictable than we thought despite Wilson's scrambling.

Obviously, I'm not a Seahawk fan so not nearly as emotionally involved in the outcome of the game, but while I thought the play-call was odd there I do think that lost in the shuffle is what an outstanding play Butler made on the ball to beat Lockette to the spot.

Granted...he never should have even had the opportunity, but it was a great play by Butler.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
Marvin49":3ds6qsmb said:
BleuEyedHawk":3ds6qsmb said:

Obviously, I'm not a Seahawk fan so not nearly as emotionally involved in the outcome of the game, but while I thought the play-call was odd there I do think that lost in the shuffle is what an outstanding play Butler made on the ball to beat Lockette to the spot.

Granted...he never should have even had the opportunity, but it was a great play by Butler.

It also cannot be understated how badly Lockette and Kearse got owned on that play.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
If the Hawks had been on the other side of that play, we would be praising whoever made the INT for their preparation, ability to read the play, and great effort.

HomerJHawk

Reaction score
HawkFan72":9jh0go6l said:
If the Hawks had been on the other side of that play, we would be praising whoever made the INT for their preparation, ability to read the play, and great effort.

This. Credit should go to Pats, less chastising of the Hawks. Its sucks yes, but they/Butler made a great play.

Austin Hawk

Reaction score
I agree. While it may have been the worst call in NFL history, it would have been an afterthought if Butler didn't make such an amazing play. He deserves all the credit that Pats fans want to give him. He singlehandedly won the game for them.

soxhawk

Reaction score
What else was he supposed to do? Just stand in the end zone and not cover someone? The truest critique of the play comes down to Wilson not getting the ball there right away and Lockette getting pwned trying to catch the ball. It could've been a TD.