Matthews Question?

marko358

Reaction score
Curious about this too. Is this a guy we can develop into a solid everyday WR?

kidhawk

Reaction score
Yes he is signed through next season. Additionally, he would be an exclusive rights free agent in 2016 which means we could basically re-sign him to an additional contract for 1-year with no competition after that if we want to keep him and not sign him long term

LTH

Reaction score
Seems like a guy they could develop... good speed tall and tough... maybe Carroll should check footlocker for a corner :)

timmat

Reaction score
Russell Wilson throws the best 'jump ball' - for lack of a better term - in the NFL. I loved how he did this with Golden Tate, where he would lay it up and let him make a play on the ball, even when Tate was completely covered. It seemed we lacked that person for long stretches this year. I'm hoping Matthews can be that guy. I hear talk that he's not the best at route running yet, and he's not a burner. But maybe he could be that guy that doesn't need to be wide open to be effective. Not many secondaries in the league have larger corners like us. It seems Matthews may already have the tools to be a 'go up and get it' type. I think it's partially been a trust issue from Russ as well, and that hopefully this game - and off season participation - can help with.

HawaiiD

Reaction score
LTH":3jcikv5w said:
Seems like a guy they could develop... good speed tall and tough... maybe Carroll should check footlocker for a corner :)
From what I saw Mathews hands were soft(good) and adjusted to the ball very well on the fly. I'm feeling pretty good he could develop into a very good receiver.

mikeak

Reaction score
hawknation2015":24cqmigf said:
The fact that it took so long to discover that Matthews is a talent hammers home the incompetence of our OC.

No first we were really trying to get Harvin to fit in the system. Then when that failed Richardsson stepped up and became the go-to guy. When he got injured the space opened up for Matthews but it took a game or two.

Obviously the goal for next year has to be that Kears, Richardsson, Norwood and Baldwin moves this to a good group of receivers with matthews at a minimum as a goal line target

One unknown having a big game doesn't mean that he is a future star - but hopefully

hawknation2015

Reaction score
mikeak":1yzd3xfc said:
hawknation2015":1yzd3xfc said:
The fact that it took so long to discover that Matthews is a talent hammers home the incompetence of our OC.

No first we were really trying to get Harvin to fit in the system. Then when that failed Richardsson stepped up and became the go-to guy. When he got injured the space opened up for Matthews but it took a game or two.

Obviously the goal for next year has to be that Kears, Richardsson, Norwood and Baldwin moves this to a good group of receivers with matthews at a minimum as a goal line target

One unknown having a big game doesn't mean that he is a future star - but hopefully

Harvin was the 2nd biggest failure of Bevell's tenure.

Bevell was the only one on the staff who had experiences with Harvin at Minnesota, where he was known to clash with teammates and coaches. Carroll and Schneider sought out Bevell's advice about Harvin, and Bevell was in favor of re-uniting with him. Signing Harvin cost us $19.03 million, a first round pick, a seventh round pick, and the ability to re-sign Golden Tate. Bevell then failed at putting together a game plan that made Harvin the focal point, at the expense of Lynch and the deep ball.

We struggled in the red zone all year because of the lack of a receiver who can go up and get the football. Then after we finally found one, Bevell instead draws up a slant route to Ricardo Lockette, a half yard away from the end zone. What?

HawkFan72

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3fffi8kl said:

What I am wondering is if Matthews is so good, why didn't he stand out in practice all year? He never got any real looks before the Super Bowl. If he was beating guys this bad, wouldn't he have had his number called a few times, especially when we were a bit WR needy this year?

This might have just been a career day for him, not a breakout that can be sustained.

If nothing else, he deserves some more looks next year in our RedZone packages, though.

kjreid

Reaction score
He was slow on learning the ayboom, they actually gave up on him for a week right after we picked him up, but a injury brought him back. I think he stepped ahead of Norwood about a month ago. Everything must have started to click.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
HawkFan72":3s3ymal5 said:
hawknation2015":3s3ymal5 said:

What I am wondering is if Matthews is so good, why didn't he stand out in practice all year? He never got any real looks before the Super Bowl. If he was beating guys this bad, wouldn't he have had his number called a few times, especially when we were a bit WR needy this year?

This might have just been a career day for him, not a breakout that can be sustained.

If nothing else, he deserves some more looks next year in our RedZone packages, though.

He looked very sure handed. I bet he catches that pass on the slant route.

A

Anonymous

I was really impressed with Matthews last night. I hope we keep him around....I think he's very capable of doing great things for the team.

Rat

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3gvogoif said:
If Harvin hadn't been traded to the Jets, we're celebrating a second straight Lombardi today. Stupid move at the time, looks even dumber now.

hoxrox

Reaction score
One of the bright spots for sure. Look forward to seeing more of him.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Rat":12barb66 said:
hawknation2015":12barb66 said:
If Harvin hadn't been traded to the Jets, we're celebrating a second straight Lombardi today. Stupid move at the time, looks even dumber now.

Harvin was a disaster for this offense, mainly because it allowed Bevell to move away from Lynch as the primary focus of our offense. Harvin also sucks at running routes, which didn't help make Wilson a better QB.

irocdave

Reaction score
Rat":3u5d599x said:
hawknation2015":3u5d599x said:

? I don't see it that way man. The offense was so out of wack with Harvin, took touches away from everybody. Maybe that's on DB also?

TAB420

Reaction score
irocdave":6w8re4k1 said:
Rat":6w8re4k1 said:
hawknation2015":6w8re4k1 said:

? I don't see it that way man. The offense was so out of wack with Harvin, took touches away from everybody. Maybe that's on DB also?

If Harvin wasn't traded to the Jets, we weren't getting a shot at the Lombardi. Does 3-3 ring a bell.

Rat

Reaction score
TAB420":2y1xzqsk said:
irocdave":2y1xzqsk said:
Rat":2y1xzqsk said:
hawknation2015":2y1xzqsk said:

If Harvin wasn't traded to the Jets, we weren't getting a shot at the Lombardi. Does 3-3 ring a bell.
I forgot that Harvin played defense and injured Wagner and Chancellor. Good call.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
I am pretty sure it is universally accepted that the team chemistry was better after Harvin and our offense acutally improved based on our refocus on giving the best RB in the league more touches.

Not to say we did all we could with Harvin. We definitely squandered the opportunity to utilize him properly but I still do not think that having a high volume WR fits with our offensive philosophy.

Latest posts