Matthews Question?

netskier

Reaction score
Matthew's talent was confirmed in training camp when he caught most of his targets while defended by the lob, but then doubted the next day when he dropped a lot.

netskier

Reaction score
Matthews most likely does not catch the pass on the slant route because by that time Browner had been assigned to shut him down at the line of scrimmage, and to follow him thereafter to contest high balls.

netskier

Reaction score
Matthews is to show to ensure horizontal separation, but is too slow to not get vertical separation most of the time.

You can not teach height, and you can't forget it either, and Wilson throws great jump ball passes.

Vetamur

Reaction score
hawknation2015":10xg3zmf said:
The fact that it took so long to discover that Matthews is a talent hammers home the incompetence of our OC.

But the fact that we had the #9 offense with 2 UDFAs starting at WR, and UDFA #3 receiver, a 5th round pick starting at TE, an off the street TE backing him up and an off the street FB... doesnt show competence?

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Vetamur":itl4v7u9 said:
hawknation2015":itl4v7u9 said:
The fact that it took so long to discover that Matthews is a talent hammers home the incompetence of our OC.

But the fact that we had the #9 offense with 2 UDFAs starting at WR, and UDFA #3 receiver, a 5th round pick starting at TE, an off the street TE backing him up and an off the street FB... doesnt show competence?

Not really, Wilson and Marshawn tend to make Bevell look much better than he is in actuality.

A Bevell-led offense will always be inconsistent and underperform.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
mikeak":14nm0xzw said:
hawknation2015":14nm0xzw said:

No first we were really trying to get Harvin to fit in the system. Then when that failed Richardsson stepped up and became the go-to guy. When he got injured the space opened up for Matthews but it took a game or two.

Obviously the goal for next year has to be that Kears, Richardsson, Norwood and Baldwin moves this to a good group of receivers with matthews at a minimum as a goal line target

One unknown having a big game doesn't mean that he is a future star - but hopefully

I have a my fingers crossed that Richardson stays healthy and leap frogs Kearse on the depth chart. I will heave a sigh of relief if that happens.

Hyak

Reaction score
It would be great if he could emerge but time will tell. Plenty of players have had a monster SB (Timmy Smith anyone?) and just fade away. But maybe the light came on all of the sudden too. That can happen with young players.

The size and hands are intriguing but like others pointed out he didn't do much after the put Browner on him. Of course, aside from Browner and our guys, how many big CB's are out there.

original poster

Reaction score
Rat":2ojpszf6 said:
hawknation2015":2ojpszf6 said:
Harvin was the 2nd biggest failure of Bevell's tenure.
If Harvin hadn't been traded to the Jets, we're celebrating a second straight Lombardi today. Stupid move at the time, looks even dumber now.

You're kidding, right? If Harvin was still on the roster I don't even think we'd have made a wild card place, let alone the number 1 seed.

captSE

Reaction score
HawaiiD":wwyq6jfk said:
LTH":wwyq6jfk said:
Seems like a guy they could develop... good speed tall and tough... maybe Carroll should check footlocker for a corner :)
From what I saw Mathews hands were soft(good) and adjusted to the ball very well on the fly. I'm feeling pretty good he could develop into a very good receiver.

I agree. Matthews was a hightlight in Superbowl 49

King Dog

Reaction score
I think we just exploited a match up with Matthews and don't expect him to all of the sudden be Josh Gordon, but man oh man was it sweet to see a big fella just going up and snatching the ball out of the air.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
The question for me is whether Matthews can be the guy we all hoped Kevin Norwood would be? From the minute glimpse I have seen of him thus far "me likey a lot"!

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Rat":1bka9ncl said:
hawknation2015":1bka9ncl said:
Harvin was the 2nd biggest failure of Bevell's tenure.
If Harvin hadn't been traded to the Jets, we're celebrating a second straight Lombardi today. Stupid move at the time, looks even dumber now.

It is clear acquiring Harvin was a mistake, both in terms of the player and his contract. There is also absolutely no doubt Percy was a brilliantly talented player, but he wasn't prepared to buy in with this team or this regime and had a history of being so in Minnie. Trading away a player who refused to play in close game b/c he wasn't getting his touches the way he wanted to have them was absolutely the right move to make by the FO. Getting what the got was arguably as good as it was going to get considering his contract and the fact he was not a good team player.

I disagree about Percy's trade being a stupid move but think Bevell was not capable of making Percy fit. I think he's demonstrably not a very talented OC and I want to see him gone gone gone. I suspect Bevell has trouble making most players fit. I'm not so sure the team would have done any differently if Percy had been there last Sunday. They were 1 yard away from taking the lead with 25 seconds left to play but chose to run a high risk play in a situation where perhaps many other options should have been considered.

Matthews has some ability to be that big WR the team has needed for jump ball situations, time will tell if he can develop, but he looked pretty good on Sunday, at least until the pats started paying attention to him in coverage.