Both teams believe it's rightfully theirs

50yrpatsfan

Reaction score
I can't recall a Super Bowl in many moons where you have the two #1 seeds/best records, both with recent SB wins and appearances, both with proven QB's and coaches, both rock solid, both with legacies to burnish.

And both who deeply believe this championship belongs to them, that they are the rightful owners bringing the Lombardi back home where it belongs. That's what makes this game a little different, pretty special.

GreenHawk

Reaction score
Finally, something I think I can agree with you on. :th2thumbs:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Agreed on all points.

I firmly believe that the Hawks are the best team in football right now from purely a talent level, but the Patriots are the one franchise that has the history and mental toughness to challenge them all the way til the end.

Mick063

Reaction score
The best post I have seen from a visitor.

He is absolutely right. I believe this trophy is rightfully ours.

OP
OP

50yrpatsfan

Reaction score
Mick063":3e704yd9 said:

I know that and I can totally see why, you have a powerful team that knows how to win.

That's the way we feel too. If Assante Samuel doesn't drop the INT late in the '08 SB, and if Welker doesn't drop the wide open pass at the end of the '12 SB, the Pats are 5-time winners in the last 10 years. We feel the trophy has been out on loan, and this year we're ready to take it back.

(I know that's a couple of big "if's" - there were other plays and reasons we lost those - but you get my point. And we could probably say a similar thing about your last second loss to Atlanta, cause that year's SB could have been yours if you win that game).

Highlordb

Reaction score
I think this will be a close well fought game for both teams.....who wins....still gotta go with Seattle!

Laloosh

Reaction score
50yrpatsfan":2mm60nq2 said:
Mick063":2mm60nq2 said:

I know that and I can totally see why, you have a powerful team that knows how to win.

That's the way we feel too. If Assante Samuel doesn't drop the INT late in the '08 SB, and if Welker doesn't drop the wide open pass at the end of the '12 SB, the Pats are 5-time winners in the last 10 years. We feel the trophy has been out on loan, and this year we're ready to take it back.

(I know that's a couple of big "if's" - there were other plays and reasons we lost those - but you get my point. And we could probably say a similar thing about your last second loss to Atlanta, cause that year's SB could have been yours if you win that game).

I just hope the refs don't come into play. It would be a travesty to see a matchup like this wind up being about the refs. So much more going on to be excited about. I love the challenges that both teams have to overcome to pull this one out. Never know what you're going to get from Belichick and for Seattle, it's an opportunity to put an exclamation point on last year.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
50yrpatsfan":29j3qfnr said:

But you could say "if there's no tuck rule the Patriot's don't even get a chance to win their 1st SB."

But that's what makes the NFL the greatest sport in the world, every play matters, especially in the Super Bowl.

OP
OP

50yrpatsfan

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2akoah98 said:
50yrpatsfan":2akoah98 said:

But you could say "if there's no tuck rule the Patriot's don't even get a chance to win their 1st SB."

But that's what makes the NFL the greatest sport in the world, every play matters, especially in the Super Bowl.

Very true, there's an awful lot of luck involved, which I think is the main reason teams don't repeat - tough to be lucky with injuries and the way the ball bounces year after year. If you win it all this year, that miracle vs Green Bay will be exhibit A (or B, after the Tuck rule game). Luck & chance play huge roles.

bobdigital

Reaction score
I have said a few times this is to me the best match up in a Super Bowl since the 1998 match between the Broncos and Packers.

2007 was good cause the Pats were chasing history but it didn't feel like the heavy weight fight this one does going in.

sutz

Reaction score
Can't argue the basic premise. But I'd argue that the Pats think that out of a mis-guided sense of entitlement kept alive with smoke and mirrors and trickery. And I'm not even thinking of deflate-gate. The whole thing around eligible/ineligible is kind of meager sauce to base your success on. Against a more disciplined team, that kind of stuff won't work as well.

In fact, I respect the Patriots. Especially, I have to respect Bellycheck's ability to get something out of not much with schemes and deviousnous. The Pats are probably the best the AFC has to offer this year.

I suspect this might be a good game, much close than last year.

Best of luck to both teams.

OP
OP

50yrpatsfan

Reaction score
sutz":14caw7q0 said:
Can't argue the basic premise. But I'd argue that the Pats think that out of a mis-guided sense of entitlement kept alive with smoke and mirrors and trickery. And I'm not even thinking of deflate-gate. The whole thing around eligible/ineligible is kind of meager sauce to base your success on. Against a more disciplined team, that kind of stuff won't work as well.

In fact, I respect the Patriots. Especially, I have to respect Bellycheck's ability to get something out of not much with schemes and deviousnous. The Pats are probably the best the AFC has to offer this year.

I think you have the wrong impression of the Patriots. The formation thing was introduced literally 2 games ago, hardly a staple.

The big picture is that for 7 seasons, 2001-2007, they won 3 SB's and came within an inch of a 4th and undefeated season in 2007. Then Brady missed the 2008 season, and the team by that point had also lost all of their entire great defense to age. For the past 5 years they haven't been quite good enough to win it all, as Belichick has slowly rebuilt that D from the ground up. But through that period he's still been winning about 12 games a year and got them in another SB in 2012 which they could have easily won.

So that's the legacy of this team, and it's not over, far from it. I'll bet right now that we'll see you guys again next year if you can get thru the NFC gauntlet.

themunn

Reaction score
50yrpatsfan":1ivwn2qt said:
I can't recall a Super Bowl in many moons where you have the two #1 seeds/best records, both with recent SB wins and appearances, both with proven QB's and coaches, both rock solid, both with legacies to burnish.

And both who deeply believe this championship belongs to them, that they are the rightful owners bringing the Lombardi back home where it belongs. That's what makes this game a little different, pretty special.

10 years isn't recent

bostonhardo

Reaction score
50yrpatsfan":mgwg7h5b said:

Well put my friend. It should be a great game.

korboko

Reaction score
I just feel bad for Wes Welker. He left the Patriots to go to the Broncos. He 'll probably never win that ring.

bostonhardo

Reaction score
sutz":2ie18vq5 said:

yea and next think that tricky BB might do is a fake field goal. Now that's devious!

Latest posts