A family’s legacy rides with its GOHAWKS license plates

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
Good read :)
2025551458.jpg

Warren Shelton’s widow, Louanne Shelton, 82, is not a sports fan. She never went to a Seahawks game, and only went to a couple of games to watch her sons play football in school.

“I do not like the violence that’s present in football games,” she says. “It bothered me when I could hear their protective gear hit each other.”

She remembers driving the family’s Chevy Bel Air station wagon, and other motorists honking.

“I’d wonder what that was all about. Then I’d remember I was driving with those plates,” she says.

Warren Shelton was not only a Seahawks fan, buying season tickets, but also would often buy single-game tickets to see the Mariners and the SuperSonics.

He taught for 36 years with Seattle Public Schools, 25 of those years as director of the Eckstein Middle School orchestras.

Shelton had played high-school sports, but it’s hard to explain such devotion to teams.

Says another of the sons, Steve Shelton, “I think sports was kind of an outlet for him. It was his escape.”

Warren Shelton also played with the Cascade Symphony Orchestra. Did his fellow band members know that the earpiece that Shelton was wearing during rehearsals was so that he could listen to games on the radio?

Shelton died in 2001 at age 73.

Before he died, when Safeco Field installed 12,500 bricks with messages from fans, there was one the family had for him: “Loyal fan and father.”

The family has kept the original license plates that Shelton bought in 1975.

One of them is framed and displayed on the stairwell of his family home, along with family pictures.

Says his widow about the Seahawks’ third trip to the Super Bowl, “My gosh, we really feel his spirit is with our family, watching those games. He’d have been so happy.”

That’s why “GOHAWKS” is not for sale.