A background story on Defensive Tackle Matt Gotel #73

Jville

Reaction score
Excellent human interest and background article .............

"
Two weeks before the draft, the 23-year-old Tacoma native was in Pensacola with his fiancee Sophia Molloy. They went to high school together at Lakes in Lakewood; she ran the mile on the Lancers’ track team. Gotel was training daily in Pensacola, around his college campus at the Division-II University of West Florida.

That’s when he found out the Seahawks were having a local tryout for prospects. It was two weeks before the draft. Those who could make their way to Seattle could take their long shot at making the team’s 90-man offseason roster. “I flew here, on my own dollar,” Gotel said last weekend.

“I impressed some coaches out here,” Gotel said. “I got an invite back and got signed to come play for these guys.” He was speaking after participating in the Seahawks’ rookie minicamp. Not as one of 27 tryout players. He’d already passed his tryout test. He is on Seattle’s 90-man offseason roster. In the NFL — and especially in Seattle, which typically plays undrafted rookies as much as any team in the league — it’s not always how you get here."

Read more at: https://www.tri-cityherald.com/sports/article261304782.html#storylink=cpy

.................................................................................................................................

"
Last weekend’s glimpse suggested the Seahawks like Gotel’s versatility as a potential nose tackle plus as a three-technique tackle closer to end. Carroll wants to stockpile size inside to join veterans Al Woods, Poona Ford and Byran Mone, the returning tackles on Seattle’s defensive line. Ford and Mone, like Gotel, signed with Seattle as undrafted free agents. “We need the big run-stopping guys, just like we have. We get the guys that fit perfectly, with Al and Poona and Mone. Those guys can really fill it up inside,” Carroll said. “That allows us to deploy them with inside backers, so that we can come off the edge with our edge guys — which really is...the biggest, clearest emphasis for us to adjust (to in 2022).”

Read more at: https://www.tri-cityherald.com/sports/article261304782.html#storylink=cpy

Latest posts