Field Goal Fakery

Spiderdan

Reaction score
Does anyone know if they used a kicking ball or a different game ball on the fake field goal that Ryan threw to Gillam? I would not even normally think of this question, but Deflategate has me wondering.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
I'm going to presume that it was a kicking ball. The real question is why does it matter unless you think we are cheating now...?

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
I believe the kicking balls held by the refs? So i'm assuming it would have been one of those balls.

OP
OP
S

Spiderdan

Reaction score
OkieHawk":1gszjb4m said:
I'm going to presume that it was a kicking ball. The real question is why does it matter unless you think we are cheating now...?
I don't think we're cheating. It matters because kicking balls are notoriously difficult to throw and catch because they're conditioned differently.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
Spiderdan":afborqdr said:
OkieHawk":afborqdr said:
I don't think we're cheating. It matters because kicking balls are notoriously difficult to throw and catch because they're conditioned differently.

Which makes Jon Ryan even more boss :D

BocciHawk

Reaction score
Almost entirely certain that they would have used a kicking ball -- to do otherwise runs the risk of tipping the other team off.

ZorntoLargent

Reaction score
I think they refs would only place a regular ball if you line up for 2?

ZorntoLargent

Reaction score
OkieHawk":vwj8spw7 said:
Spiderdan":vwj8spw7 said:
OkieHawk":vwj8spw7 said:

Which makes Jon Ryan even more boss :D

Except that is the type of ball JR is used to handling in holding, and punting.
I'm pretty sure like Tom Brady is used to handling his own balls, so is JR.
^ Wait, WHAT??

Basis4day

Reaction score
ZorntoLargent":256je63k said:
I think they refs would only place a regular ball if you line up for 2?

Yes. That's why they inform the refs they're going for two when it's not a fake scenario.

grizbob

Reaction score
Spiderdan":1qrpfn17 said:
OkieHawk":1qrpfn17 said:

Maybe that explains the OMG face on our punter ;)

taz291819

Reaction score
ZorntoLargent":2re7ep1p said:
Except that is the type of ball JR is used to handling in holding, and punting.
I'm pretty sure like Tom Brady is used to handling his own balls, so is JR.
^ Wait, WHAT??

Exactly. I would think Ryan practices that play with a kicker's ball.

minormillikin

Reaction score
I don't think a field goal ball is probably significantly harder to lob 10 yards than a regular ball, but also I don't think the defenders would be able to tell which ball was in the game.

Swedishhawkfan

Reaction score
As a former junior QB i need to weigh in on this matter ;) A brand new fully inflated leather ball (like the K balls are..) is very slick and hard like a rock making it harder to grip well and it can hurt quite alot to catch. When throwing perfect spiral, grip is very important (the main function of the laces is just to easy find the same grip every single time). But what Jon ryan did was basically a 10 yd soft wobbly rainbowing chuck, making grip essentially a non factor (it could have been a small soccer ball or a plastic bag full of stuff, the hard part here was to throw it under pressure slightly across his body, thus still a very impressive play)

olyfan63

Reaction score
It was a terrific athletic play by Ryan,committing the LB, and then making a throw with the right touch, and adjusting the throw for his side-to-side movement.

I think the GB LB (Hawk?) let Gilliam go because he saw an Offensive LIneman wearing #79 come to block him, he didn't see an eligible receiver. He "tossed the OL block aside like a rag doll", except, oops.... that was a TE, not an OL.

mikeak

Reaction score
There was Hawk, Ryan and Gillam. If Hawk covers Gillam then Ryan scores a TD walking in. By going for Ryan he forced the pass. It was the right decision as the pass was "likelier" to fail vs a run

Now I need to check and see if Ryan wore gloves which would make the throw easier with a new ball

NorCalHawk12

Reaction score
And then, after what looks like the toothless grin of an old man, does a discount double check move coming back in from the sideline.

And, as I said to all my seatmates at that 49er beatdown in 2012, when Ryan made a touchdown saving tackle, "Even our kicker is badass."