#13 CHRIS MATTHEWS ??????????????????

RCATES

Reaction score
What's the story on this kid and why isn't he playing? Has been on the active roster for going on 6 weeks and hasn't seen the field on offense even once. I know he has been playing some special teams but with our lack of size at WR why isn't he more involved or being used in the offense? He had a good preseason with 4 catches for 53yards (13.3 average). At 6-5" 25yrs. something has to be up with his route running or hands for Pete to not use him. Especially since when Pete first came here showed a ton of interest in big tall receivers. Remember Mike Williams?

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I have seen him on the field on Offense, but Russ never passes to him. Either he isn't getting open or he is just used as a blocker downfield.

I'm surprised they haven't at least tried to feed him the ball to see what he can do.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Well, he had 3 plays at WR during the Divisional game vs. Carolina, so I'm not sure how you are saying he's NEVER out there. He has 0 targets, and that is likely a comfort thing. He is a backup, so he won't get many reps with the starting unit in practice, so him and Wilson are not going to really be on the same page.

Pete said in his press conference today, that they look for receivers who are going to be tough and go out there and compete. Size is not the top priority for him when evaluating receivers. We have the Tight Ends like Willson for that. You can assume Matthews may get a few reps this week with Richardson done for the year, but he's going to get most of his plays on Special teams for now. I would look for Norwood to have more impact this week than Matthews.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I would love to see them target Matthews with a jump ball in the redzone at some point.

OP
OP
R

RCATES

Reaction score
HawkFan72":1fqiwkow said:
I would love to see them target Matthews with a jump ball in the redzone at some point.

Exactly considering our RedZone efficiency has been one of the worst in the league. I just don't see how that big of a target is not getting targeted more in the game.

Basis4day

Reaction score
I thought being a tall guaranteed WR success? It's almost like there is more to being a WR than being tall.

kidhawk

Reaction score
RCATES":3j1isojz said:
HawkFan72":3j1isojz said:

Exactly considering our RedZone efficiency has been one of the worst in the league. I just don't see how that big of a target is not getting targeted more in the game.

You don't throw a jump ball to a guy you have little to no reps with. That is something that you really have to build a rapport or you're just asking for a bad outcome, and with our ball control style offense, that's a little too risky. I think Matthews could be good for that, but until he gets more reps and trust with Wilson, I wouldn't look for it anytime soon.

TheWalrus

Reaction score
He has been active because he has provided value in special teams. He has yet to show anything as a WR, but Pete values special teams.

marko358

Reaction score
TheWalrus":3jau4xkq said:
He has been active because he has provided value in special teams. He has yet to show anything as a WR, but Pete values special teams.

I thought someone who watched the all 22 mentioned how awful he's been on special teams.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Cause he's not good enough to play more snaps. If he was, he'd play more snaps.

Giblien

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":23f2po91 said:

I'd love to be wrong, but I completely agree.

marko358

Reaction score
Giblien":26froi6f said:
Sgt. Largent":26froi6f said:

Yup. He'd be better off going back to hosting Hardball.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Giblien":2j9fmucc said:
Sgt. Largent":2j9fmucc said:

In Pete we trust my friend, in Pete we trust. If there's a coach in the league who's earned the right to tell us when a player's ready to play, it's Pete.

Chawks1

Reaction score
mikeak":2ou91ysu said:
BE QUIET

He is our secret weapon on Sunday! I predict two touchdowns

Maybe......I saw this in the Trib this morning and I was thinking what a weapon he could be.....definetly an opportunity for a mismatch:

Matthews may be gaining more prominence this week because of how tall he is. The former Canadian League player is 6 feet 5 and no Packer starting defensive back or nickleback is taller than 6-1.

mikeak

Reaction score
Chawks1":3s60uhmz said:
mikeak":3s60uhmz said:
BE QUIET

He is our secret weapon on Sunday! I predict two touchdowns

Maybe......I saw this in the Trib this morning and I was thinking what a weapon he could be.....definetly an opportunity for a mismatch:

Matthews may be gaining more prominence this week because of how tall he is. The former Canadian League player is 6 feet 5 and no Packer starting defensive back or nickleback is taller than 6-1.

Perfect - now it can go two ways

1) He is used as a secret weapon, scores TD and I am basically right

2) He is not used at all and I can say that I was right but all the press this received is why they cancelled those plans

Latest posts