Gameplanning nightmare

Dismas

Reaction score
Every week you hear the pundits talking . . if team A can account for player B, then they can exploit the defense and score some points.

Against Seattle, they have to account for B, C, D E, and then F!

Just up the middle, you have:

Bennet (sometimes, other times on edge)
Wagner
Kam
Earl

That is FOUR men to gameplan against already . . .

Then the edges:

Bruce
Sherman
Avril (borderline, but no slouch)

God I would hate to be the OC that had to make the plan.

Regular teams have 1 guy to worry about, maybe 2

Seahawks have a solid 6 (!!!) guys on D you must plan for.

Then your DC has to figure out what to do with Marshawn and Russell

An embarrassment of riches, I think,

And how sweet is it, to sit and imagine the anguish of those poor sods making the gameplans?

Exittium

Reaction score
and now account for the possibility of Daniels

peppersjap

Reaction score
I really do start feeling anxiety about the game and then I think about Sherman, Kam, Thomas, Bennett, Wagner, Avril, Irvin and KJ and then I wonder how we can lose. I'm very aware of Clay Matthews and Raji and of course Julius Peppers but outside of that not so many. I feel better about this game than I did with the Carolina game only because the Panthers had nothing to lose. I have nothing but the highest respect for Rodgers but he is obviously not a 100%.
I think the majority of my anxiety comes out of the fact we took a shot and booked our trip to Phoenix Super Bowl weekend, no matter what we will have fun but if we win Sunday I'm going to be hard to deal with and the trip home from the game will be intense hoping I hit it this year in the lottery for tickets because as soon as I got home last year after the tip I had an E-mail telling me I was a loser (like I needed more confirmation of that).
Can Sunday possibly get here any quicker???????

Maulbert

Reaction score
peppersjap":21az7rh7 said:
I really do start feeling anxiety about the game and then I think about Sherman, Kam, Thomas, Bennett, Wagner, Avril, Irvin and KJ and then I wonder how we can lose. I'm very aware of Clay Matthews and Raji and of course Julius Peppers but outside of that not so many. I feel better about this game than I did with the Carolina game only because the Panthers had nothing to lose. I have nothing but the highest respect for Rodgers but he is obviously not a 100%.
I think the majority of my anxiety comes out of the fact we took a shot and booked our trip to Phoenix Super Bowl weekend, no matter what we will have fun but if we win Sunday I'm going to be hard to deal with and the trip home from the game will be intense hoping I hit it this year in the lottery for tickets because as soon as I got home last year after the tip I had an E-mail telling me I was a loser (like I needed more confirmation of that).
Can Sunday possibly get here any quicker???????

B. J. Raji has been on IR since the preseason. No need to worry about him.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Yep but it's also an oppurtunity for a coach to gain recognition if he pulls it off.

Chawks1

Reaction score
Absolutely. That's why on our defense we don't hide much. We play solid, fundamental football. Everyone is accountable and with key players in those positions you have to try and attack with patience. That's how San Diego beat this D. Take the 3-4 yard play very down and convert the 3rd down. It didn't hurt that they had Antonio Gates that played lights out.

I don't think Green Bay is built that way, with them playing no huddle a lot and it isn't in Rodgers DNA to just play ball control all day long.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Here is one Packers fan's thoughts on how his team will attack Seattle:

You have to create winnable matchups. How did Green Bay beat New England and Dallas? They found a matchup that was in there favor and exploited it. Vs the Cowboys they actually had 2 matchups they were winning (Cobb and Adams) as well as being able to run the ball.

I don't think the Packers are going to try and run on Seattle. At least not in the sense that it comes first. They are going to do something that they haven't done against the Seahawks. They are going to go 5 wide ( or Cobb in Backfield). That forces the Seahawks out of blitzing and also forces some one on one coverage to Cobb, Adams and Rogers. If they can force Seattle to cover Cobb with a slot corner (Simon) or a LB the Packer will have an advantage they can exploit. By going 5 wide the Packers are able to shift in and out of almost any formation they want without substituting during any given series. The combination they have used is 3 Wr and 2 TE. some 4 Wr and 1 Te.

The other thing the Packers thrive on is a high number of offensive plays run in a game. This is not the same as time of Possession. Green Bay wants a game where they get the ball and run upwards of 65 plays in a game. If the Packers do that they will put up approximately 30+ points. While the Packer Defense is not going to stop Seattle all day, they are good enough to stop them enough to win a high scoring game.

On the opposite side of the ball the Packers actually have a deeper corp of DB's than Seattle has WR. They are also capable of putting pressure on Wilson. The simple truth of the Cowboys game was Dallas couldn't make Rodgers move the Packers could make Romo uncomfortable.

Two stats to watch. If Lynch has 100 yards and 1 score the Packers will be in the game. If Lynch has 25 carries for 130 and 2 scores Seattle wins. If the Packers run 68+ plays on offense they will win this game.

Jacknut16

Reaction score
volsunghawk":1aar2rbd said:

You have to create winnable matchups. How did Green Bay beat New England and Dallas? They found a matchup that was in there favor and exploited it. Vs the Cowboys they actually had 2 matchups they were winning (Cobb and Adams) as well as being able to run the ball.

I don't think the Packers are going to try and run on Seattle. At least not in the sense that it comes first. They are going to do something that they haven't done against the Seahawks. They are going to go 5 wide ( or Cobb in Backfield). That forces the Seahawks out of blitzing and also forces some one on one coverage to Cobb, Adams and Rogers. If they can force Seattle to cover Cobb with a slot corner (Simon) or a LB the Packer will have an advantage they can exploit. By going 5 wide the Packers are able to shift in and out of almost any formation they want without substituting during any given series. The combination they have used is 3 Wr and 2 TE. some 4 Wr and 1 Te.

The other thing the Packers thrive on is a high number of offensive plays run in a game. This is not the same as time of Possession. Green Bay wants a game where they get the ball and run upwards of 65 plays in a game. If the Packers do that they will put up approximately 30+ points. While the Packer Defense is not going to stop Seattle all day, they are good enough to stop them enough to win a high scoring game.

On the opposite side of the ball the Packers actually have a deeper corp of DB's than Seattle has WR. They are also capable of putting pressure on Wilson. The simple truth of the Cowboys game was Dallas couldn't make Rodgers move the Packers could make Romo uncomfortable.

Two stats to watch. If Lynch has 100 yards and 1 score the Packers will be in the game. If Lynch has 25 carries for 130 and 2 scores Seattle wins. If the Packers run 68+ plays on offense they will win this game.

The Seahawks are not a blitzing team.

tom sawyer

Reaction score
No real game planning is possible against the Ball-Hawks of the Pacific Northwest, you're better off with hope and prayer!

homerun1970

Reaction score
Packer fan is slightly delusional with his claim that they will just pop up 30+ points. The Defense has been averaging 8 points per game given up over the last six games. I cant see a gimpy Rodgers sitting in the pocket and tearing the LOB a new one. The pass rush will arrive before someone breaks open especially with Maxwell being back. As others have pointed out it takes patience to move against this defense, thats not conductive to getting into the shootout he is hoping for.

Timberhawk

Reaction score
Love the topic. Thanks!

Speaking of game planning I wonder how Kam's jumping over the line on FG's effects that for other teams. One more thing to think about. Could cause an offensive lineman to false start thinking he has to stand up quickly at the snap, could cause the holder or kicker to take their eye off the ball for a second to see if the Dark Knight is flying at them, etc. One more thing to think about.

Go Hawks!!

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Timberhawk":17jj9e3s said:
Love the topic. Thanks!

Speaking of game planning I wonder how Kam's jumping over the line on FG's effects that for other teams. One more thing to think about. Could cause an offensive lineman to false start thinking he has to stand up quickly at the snap, could cause the holder or kicker to take their eye off the ball for a second to see if the Dark Knight is flying at them, etc. One more thing to think about.

Go Hawks!!

Well, I imagine that the reason we tried that is because the Rams did it in the game they played against the Giants the week before they came to Seattle for the season finale. So at the very least, I imagine the GB special teams units will be practicing defending it and performing it themselves.

HawkGA

Reaction score
I would think a good follow up to Kam jumping the line would be to engineer a really low drive into the guard and center to stand them up and drive them back. Presumably they'll be focused on getting up a bit. Don't know if we have the DTs to do it at the moment.

sc85sis

Reaction score
volsunghawk":5vzslaeq said:

It's always about match ups and situational football.

We don't blitz that much.

If Simon is in, Maxwell will likely be in the slot--not the other way around.

Philly likes to get a ton of plays in too. So does Oregon in the college game. As we've seen, that can hurt their own D as much as ours.

Romo is very mobile. Wilson is even more mobile. Wilson also is more clutch under pressure.

Chawks1

Reaction score
volsunghawk":1vm59bta said:

This would make them essentially in a hurry up offense the entire game. No huddle at the Clink? No running game? What this Packer fan doesn't acknowledge is that this plan didn't work vs Philadelphia. Or the Broncos twice in 1 year. Also, this isn't how Green Bay plays. You aren't going to install a new offensive system with 1 week to play.

themunn

Reaction score
It forces us out of blitzing - which we don't usually do anyway

volsunghawk

Reaction score
themunn":38j2lca2 said:
It forces us out of blitzing - which we don't usually do anyway

Yes, those were almost my exact words to the dude. He seems to think that our DBs won't be able to handle their WRs. He also thinks (in a follow up post) that the Seattle D won't be able to stop the GB offense if they don't do a good job of disguising coverage. He used the New England and Dallas games as comparisons, talking about how the GB receivers beat Browner or the Dallas DBs. It's clear that while he has watched a bunch of Packers games this year, he hasn't paid much attention to Seattle.

sutz

Reaction score
...not to mention that the LoB is pretty good at one-on-one coverage. If they go 5 wide, we have the guys to press and/or jam at least 2-3 of them, and will probably disrupt the timing of the others, too. The schemes may be simple compared to most teams, but the skill and discipline is second to none.

Seattle's D is very good at using up all of an opponent's patience. Hey, Carolina had one of those 14 play, 8 minute drives and won the ToP game. But they still couldn't outscore us. One of the things Seattle does is coerce opponents into feeling desperate late in games and generating turnovers when they start to press.

;)

kidhawk

Reaction score
sc85sis":1socjtb4 said:
volsunghawk":1socjtb4 said:

It's always about match ups and situational football.

We don't blitz that much.

If Simon is in, Maxwell will likely be in the slot--not the other way around.

Philly likes to get a ton of plays in too. So does Oregon in the college game. As we've seen, that can hurt their own D as much as ours.

Romo is very mobile. Wilson is even more mobile. Wilson also is more clutch under pressure.

These are pretty much exactly my thoughts on this fans perspective. Our DB's, when fully healthy move around a bit. Maxwell plays outside on the base defense, then moves inside on Nickel putting Simon outside. Also, our Linebackers are faster which makes them less of a liability in coverage. I don't know how many times over the past few seasons, I've watched a qb's eyes light up with a LB matchup, only to have said linebacker make a play and even an INT.

The only way to truly have success is throwing quick underneath routes, but the way our defense hits, receivers somehow often find themselves getting a case of the drops after awhile.