Resting starters.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
Assuming our offense can come out firing today how deep into the game do you play Wilson, Lynch, Chancellor etc.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
Evil_Shenanigans":3mblyzm0 said:
Assuming our offense can come out firing today how deep into the game do you play Wilson, Lynch, Chancellor etc.

If the game is out of reach for the Rams, I would suspect that T-Jack takes over in the middle of the third. But the Rams have a good enough defense that I don't see us being in a position to rest people until maybe the last half of the fourth quarter.

Largent80

Reaction score
Resting starters with a bye week coming (with a win) is ridiculous, just substitute but keep the core intact.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Largent80":2z25rzs4 said:
Resting starters with a bye week coming (with a win) is ridiculous, just substitute but keep the core intact.

Exactly this. Rotate them in to get a feel of what they will be doing when placed in the position with regulars. Rotation keeps them all DBFresh. LOL

cacksman

Reaction score
Exactly the same as any other game in the regular season or playoffs...

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
Largent80":23vum08q said:

I would mostly agree outside of Wilson, I'm just too paranoid about playing the dirtiest coach in the game.

DJrmb

Reaction score
They just had some players talking about exactly this subject a few days ago on NFL network I believe and both the former players agreed with my original thinking and said it completely threw off their momentum and hurt the team to rest players.

You should always play your game the way you normally play it. Don't allow circumstances to dictate how you play, just play every snap as you normally would. This is something Pete has said over and over again and I fully expect him to follow through.

How many of us hate when the Seahawks used to go into "prevent" defense late in games when they had been dominating all game? How many times have we seen teams come back against us late back in the day switching to that prevent D? Resting players is like going to prevent defense. No Thank You! Keep the momentum going with the players that for you here and maybe even build on it going into the playoffs!

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
Momentum from one game to the next isn't even a real thing, so that obviously doesn't have any place as a consideration.

Pete will lift players if a game is totally out of hand (Jacksonville last year, Arizona two years ago), would do it again here I'm sure, but I'm just dubious that this game ever gets that far out of hand. Seems more likely to be another game that's fairly dominant while the score stays within a couple of touchdowns.

SeaChase

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":uzv411mz said:
Momentum from one game to the next isn't even a real thing, so that obviously doesn't have any place as a consideration.

Pete will lift players if a game is totally out of hand (Jacksonville last year, Arizona two years ago), would do it again here I'm sure, but I'm just dubious that this game ever gets that far out of hand. Seems more likely to be another game that's fairly dominant while the score stays within a couple of touchdowns.

I don't know about that. I mean, there's no real evidence but it seems that when teams are on a hot streak and then rest the starters, plus a bye week, they seem sluggish and out of sync.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
SeaChase":2f2w4ogi said:
MidwestHawker":2f2w4ogi said:

I don't know about that. I mean, there's no real evidence but it seems that when teams are on a hot streak and then rest the starters, plus a bye week, they seem sluggish and out of sync.

It's the type of thing that would be quantifiable to some extent if real, to draw at least a loose correlation...to my knowledge, nothing substantiates it.

DJrmb

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":2ht2wu6k said:

I think I'll go with the players and coaches that actually played the game and disagree with you...

Even if it doesn't have any real effect if the players them self believe it does then it will effect their mindset which will ultimately effect their game.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
DJrmb":2fzoks74 said:
I think I'll go with the players and coaches that actually played the game and disagree with you...

Even if it doesn't have any real effect if the players them self believe it does then it will effect their mindset which will ultimately effect their game.

This point would be a fair one if players were thinking it during their downtime, but I would suggest that it's far more likely that "loss of momentum" is something decided on after the fact as an explanation rather than something they think during the approach to the game.

Which do you think is more likely: players are waiting on a game before playing it and think "man, it feels like we lost our momentum by resting part of the last game," or players are examining what happened after a loss and turning to lost momentum as an explanation of a result they know after the fact?

DJrmb

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":2w1fe5p7 said:
DJrmb":2w1fe5p7 said:

This point would be a fair one if players were thinking it during their downtime, but I would suggest that it's far more likely that "loss of momentum" is something decided on after the fact as an explanation rather than something they think during the approach to the game.

Which do you think is more likely: players are waiting on a game before playing it and think "man, it feels like we lost our momentum by resting part of the last game," or players are examining what happened after a loss and turning to lost momentum as an explanation of a result they know after the fact?

Well, isn't the saying, "Hindsight is 20/20"?

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Considering how important this win is, I wouldn't pull anyone unless the Hawks are up by at least 20 halfway through the 4th. I don't really see that kind of win happening, so I expect everyone to stay in the whole way.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Also beyond the momentum thing, Pete was asked a similar question about resting starts or not playing as hard this week in a radio interview. He responded that they were going to prepare and play just as hard as any other week and that they would respect their opponent with their preperation. Its classless and fearful organizations that sit back and hide from their opponent. That just doesn't fit our Seahawks team. We come full on every play, every game. And I'd expect nothing less. Even if they substitute late Pete will fully expect those players to play 100% and compete every play.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
DJrmb":b1pxyz6l said:
MidwestHawker":b1pxyz6l said:
DJrmb":b1pxyz6l said:

Well, isn't the saying, "Hindsight is 20/20"?

That is the saying, yes. Not sure how it applies to this debate.

The point is that if they're going by hindsight, then the point you mentioned (that belief in it will affect their performance) is negated because the belief in it likely didn't exist until after the performance took place, and thus couldn't have affected it.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
DJrmb":1x9bh761 said:
Also beyond the momentum thing, Pete was asked a similar question about resting starts or not playing as hard this week in a radio interview. He responded that they were going to prepare and play just as hard as any other week and that they would respect their opponent with their preperation.

I mean of course he's saying this; it's a game we absolutely have to win to attain a significant goal. The topic in question is what to do if we get up huge.

(I agree with Absolut though, we're probably not ever getting up that huge in this game, so this debate is all probably for nothing.)