"We can't win on the road"

RunTheBall

Reaction score
Philly and Arizona are a combined 13-3 at home, 0-2 vs the Seahawks. 13-1 vs everyone else. But we can't win on the road, I was still hearing it a little this week. Wonder how long this saying will take to die?

TXHawk

Reaction score
They are are 11-5 on the road the last two seasons and those five losses were by a combined 23 points. A lot of teams would love to be that bad on the road.

blazen2392

Reaction score
RunTheBall":nzjjeotd said:
Philly and Arizona are a combined 13-3 at home, 0-2 vs the Seahawks. 13-1 vs everyone else. But we can't win on the road, I was still hearing it a little this week. Wonder how long this saying will take to die?

Its not disrespect to say we have historically not been as dominant on the road, as we have been at home because it is true. It is also true for many teams. Sure we have played well in the past two road games, but that doesn't erase all the down to the wire games, and straight up losses we have had on the road, especially to inferior teams in the past two years.

mistaowen

Reaction score
blazen2392":42j6tg0k said:
RunTheBall":42j6tg0k said:

Its not disrespect to say we have historically not been as dominant on the road, as we have been at home because it is true. It is also true for many teams. Sure we have played well in the past two road games, but that doesn't erase all the down to the wire games, and straight up losses we have had on the road, especially to inferior teams in the past two years.

....I don't think we've lost a game in the RW era by more than 7 points and you do realize other teams have NFL players as well right? Historically, sure, the Holmgren teams were soft on the road, but if you are honestly complaining about some close road games with records of 13-3 and potentially 12-4 the past two years I don't know what else to say.

253hawk

Reaction score
mistaowen":4r124bxe said:
....I don't think we've lost a game in the RW era by more than 7 points and you do realize other teams have NFL players as well right? Historically, sure, the Holmgren teams were soft on the road, but if you are honestly complaining about some close road games with records of 13-3 and potentially 12-4 the past two years I don't know what else to say.

Eh we lost to the Chargers by 9, but that was a garbage time FG so it was really 6.

sutz

Reaction score
I've let go of this. When I see it or hear it, I know the speaker/writer is just not doing his homework.

It is ingrained into our style of football. Hard-nosed running games and defense travel well, much better than intricate, sophisticated passing games, especially in bad weather. I figure that as long as we follow that script, we'll have good success on the road in the future.

I consider patience to be a critical element in our overall game plans. Most teams, if they haven't scored a couple of times by half-time, get a little antsy, even if the score is close. Our team doesn't really care. In fact, we're fine if at any point in the game we're within one score, we have great confidence in our ability to get that last go-ahead score to win. Recent history says we're pretty good at that.

The same goes for the standings/WL record. Back when we were 3-3, most of the pundits (and some people around here) were starting to blather about SB curses and hangovers and such. Now, we're one of the (if not THE) hottest teams out there. Hey, when we were at 3-3 in October, it wasn't much different from being 7-6 at half time. We had the league (and the team) right where we wanted them.

:)

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I don't even worry a little bit about the team playing on the road. They are capable of beating any team, home or away. In fact, if they play their A game, nobody can beat them imo.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
RunTheBall":jh1di7d9 said:

Isn't it refreshing that this team can win anywhere now?

I loved Holmgren.. and those teams.. but man were they soft away from home. Not this team.

tacomahawk

Reaction score
Doesn't matter, cause the next time we.will be on the "road" it will be in Arizona, which we are 2-0 at in the last two years.

Giblien

Reaction score
Dude, I haven't heard anyone say this in a while...

94150-live-in-the-now-gif-Waynes-Wor-dW2T.gif

Hawks46

Reaction score
Look at all the top teams, they're about .500 on the road,and dominant at home.

If you go 8-0 at home and 5-3 on the road (which we just did) then you're at 13-3 which will get you #1 seed more often than not. Dropping one at home gives you 12 wins, obviously which is still usually good enough to get you the top seed, or the 2nd seed.

A team that consistently gets the 1st or 2nd seed, year in and year out....well hell, they'd be like the Patriots. And no one would bitch about them on the road.

I honestly think if we go 5-3 next year, we're going to quit hearing about this, except from the most ignorant and lazy commentators..

HawkWow

Reaction score
I've not heard anyone say this in a very long time. Why anyone wants to perpetuate this fallacy of disrespect is beyond me. Though I'm sure a shrink would attribute it to a bi-product of self loathing. You can't turn on any sports related program without hearing people gush all over our Hawks. In fact, those in the know are picking us to repeat, even though no team has done so in the past decade and we started the season @ 3-3. That's all the respect I need. Nobody is saying we can't win on the road.

gulliver

Reaction score
I listen to the Around the NFL podcast (really my #3 football podcast) and this drives me crazy--invariably Gregg Rosenthal has to make a comment about how the Hawks are really "not very good on the road, though". As someone else pointed out, we're 11-5 in the last 2 years... how much more can you ask than winning almost 70% of road games?!

OP
OP
R

RunTheBall

Reaction score
11-5 in the last 2 years on the road is #1 in the entire NFL. No one else has more than 10 road wins in the past 2 seasons.

HomerJHawk

Reaction score
Good comments folks.

Yup, its all rhetoric at this point. This team rounded a bend 3-4 years ago. Those not aware of that are, well, probably only about 1-2 years behind. Once they catch up we'll have our 3rd ring.

Go Hawks.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
NFL AM were talking about the most complete teams in the NFL, and the main reason they picked the Seahawks was because they said they can "play anywhere" and their team is built to travel. They said Green Bay isn't scary outside of Lambeau, but the Seahawks are great everywhere: inside, outside, fake grass or real.

People are starting to catch on that the road woes of the Seahawks are gone.