Unfair BCS Rankings

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Oregon is ranked #3 in the BCS, and I believe that is a complete farce. As much as I HATE Oregon, I believe they are the #1 team in the nation, and I fully expected the computers to rank them as such. To see #3 makes me sick.

The worst part about their ranking? Florida State does not have a hard schedule ahead of them, and got the advantage they have from SEC home-cooking from the media.

Sure they have games against the U, and Florida in Gator territory... but #2? No.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/bcs

As an aside: Who has Alabama beat to warrant #1?

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Florida State is barely ahead of Oregon (I read earlier that if just one of the computers had the Ducks 1 slot higher the Ducks would be 2nd). The Ducks are just about to get into the meat of their schedule while Florida State has already past their big test. If the Ducks beat #12 UCLA next week they'll move to #2.

Ducks opponents the rest of the way are a combined: 25-8.

Florida States opponents the rest of the way are a combined: 21-19. (BTW, Florida State is not in the SEC, so i'm not sure how you have them benefitting from SEC home cooking)

If the Ducks win out the rest of the way they're in, not an ounce of doubt in my mind.

As for Alabama, I don't know if their resume is the best but until somebody beats them they deserve to be #1, imo.

(read something interesting today... The 1 vs 2 ranked teams when the initial BCS poll comes out have never met in the BCS Championship. So i'm fine with the Ducks being 3 this week).

JSeahawks

Reaction score
But... UW didn't do the Ducks any favors by losing to Arizona State. In fact, its so close, that might be the difference between the Ducks being 2 and 3 right now.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
And one last thing.... too bad the 4 team playoff isn't starting this year:

Alabama vs Ohio State
Florida State vs Oregon

Would be amazing.

OP
OP
CallMeADawg

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Yeah UW stunk it up @ASU. The strings of 3 and outs, I called it before half that the game was over. Gassed our D. We should have won that game, and honestly if we have put Miles out there earlier, I think UW wins that game. I know I didnt post much after the Oregon game, but I was pretty proud of my Dawgs and how they fought in that game. Oregon won because of a Heisman quality showing from Marcus M. That was the best game I have ever seen from a Pac12/10/8 QB. Close second to that would be Tui's game against Stanford back in the day. Take nothing away from him though, he showed and showed BIG TIME.

Oregon is the best team in the nation. I hope you guys win a national championship. The last time I saw such a dominant team in the Pac, it was the '91 Dawgs. You guys just have to play Stanford at the Farm and win, and on the way just don't trip on UCLA (not likely).

The day Marcus leaves Oregon, UW beats you. :)

seahawk2k

Reaction score
Like JSeahawks said, Oregon is just getting to the meat of their schedule, FSU has a bunch of cakewalks the rest of the way, except for Florida. However, its totally within FSU to drop one of these road conference games where they come out flat as a pancake.

I also think LSU beats Bama this year.

I'd love to see Oregon vs Bama finally, but I really like FSU, FSU vs Oregon would be an absolute delightful track meet.

Hope the ducks take care of business the rest of the way

OP
OP
CallMeADawg

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3tqhutqi said:
CallMeADawg":3tqhutqi said:
The day Marcus leaves Oregon, UW beats you. :)

Because you did so well the previous 8 times when it wasn't Mariota?

I think the gains UW gets in recruiting this year will payoff big for our next game (which is next year). We are 5 years out from the Tyrone year and finally making some progress. I honestly want to see Price gone. I am done with his bipolar football play, and have removed my thoughts about him playing in the NFL. The answer is just NO.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
CallMeADawg":d4ja4l2f said:
Oregon is ranked #3 in the BCS, and I believe that is a complete farce. As much as I HATE Oregon, I believe they are the #1 team in the nation, and I fully expected the computers to rank them as such. To see #3 makes me sick.

The worst part about their ranking? Florida State does not have a hard schedule ahead of them, and got the advantage they have from SEC home-cooking from the media.

Sure they have games against the U, and Florida in Gator territory... but #2? No.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/bcs

As an aside: Who has Alabama beat to warrant #1?

I think you should read a bit about how the BCS works.

Subzero717

Reaction score
I'm as pissed as the next guy and I'm not a Duck fan. All I know is Oregons gonna get screwed no matter what. Ohie state and FSU will be in ahead of Oregon and its bull.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":2epw43y3 said:
I'm as pissed as the next guy and I'm not a Duck fan. All I know is Oregons gonna get screwed no matter what. Ohie state and FSU will be in ahead of Oregon and its bull.
I agree with this despite many here saying it won't happen. There will, IMO be a manipulation of the B(C)S standings to get either FSU or OSU v. 'Bama because the TV ratings will be higher equaling more $. I sincerely hope I am wrong and will gladly chow the crow if I am. Of course for me to dine on some of that black bird, the Ducks will need to win out since only the endlessly favored SEC is allowed to play in the (mythical) "championship" game with one loss.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":2h6adgtm said:

again... its the first week of the rankings. you need to know a bit more about the BCS. Its math.

if FSU, Oregon and OSU win out FSU will end up 4th in the BCS. Ohio State may finish above Oregon, but remember they have a big 10 championship game which would either enhance or destroy their title case.

still think that if oregon wins out they are in regardless.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
I love you guys, because you confuse me so much. Seems like Ducks fans are the only ones who aren't worried right now.

That, and the number difference between Oregon and FSU right now is .9320 and .9348. That's ridiculously small, and with #12 UCLA and #6 Stanford next, that number for UO should easily hit .96 if they win those two games.

jhern87

Reaction score
As J has said, we're in 3rd by such a small margin that FSU should be the ones worried. They just had their biggest game of the year and won very convincingly but are barely in 2nd.

Oregon would have the more impressive victories if tOSU, FSU and UO all win out (for their respective remaining schedules).

Oregon fans aren't worried about the rankings because we've seen 1 loss trip us up before and we'd rather just take it one week at a time. If we handle our business I'm confident we'll be right where we want to be at the end of the season. In-fact we're likely #2 next week with a win against UCLA this weekend.

ChrisB Bacon

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2a87zo19 said:
(read something interesting today... The 1 vs 2 ranked teams when the initial BCS poll comes out have never met in the BCS Championship. So i'm fine with the Ducks being 3 this week).
USC and Texas in 05 were #1 and #2.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Every year this happens, and every year it seems to work itself out. Not a big deal, win and UO is in the title game.

C-Dub

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1bgzmii6 said:

Alabama vs Ohio State
Florida State vs Oregon

Would be amazing.
I'd actually start watching college football to see that. That would be epic! (And I hate using epic when things are not epic, but this is epic.)

Subzero717

Reaction score
JSeahawks":bq2kz1bv said:

Alabama vs Ohio State
Florida State vs Oregon

Would be amazing.

It would be. Its unfortunate that that is most likely going to be the bowls with the Ducks outside looking in.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Uncle Si":d8y433kk said:
CALIHAWK1":d8y433kk said:

again... its the first week of the rankings. you need to know a bit more about the BCS. Its math.

if FSU, Oregon and OSU win out FSU will end up 4th in the BCS. Ohio State may finish above Oregon, but remember they have a big 10 championship game which would either enhance or destroy their title case.

still think that if oregon wins out they are in regardless.

That's the issue I have. Its math. I can't wrap my head around any math that has a Big Ten champ Ohio State ahead of Pac-12 champ Oregon if that's how it indeed shakes out.
The human vote is still a third of it and why can't they have Clemson ahead of Oregon if both run the table? Granted its a third but I don't see how it can be established definitively that Clemson is 4th if all three win out.

nategreat

Reaction score
It's pretty simple really. FSU and Alabama have played some good teams. Oregon has had a pretty easy schedule, really, with Washington being their toughest game.

As mentioned, Oregon's schedule will allow them to move up in the rankings pretty easily if they can win their games. No doubt in my mind they will be #2 for sure if they win out, and I could easily see them being #1. I wouldn't worry yet.