Draft experts: Oregon State QB, Sean Mannion?

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Curious what you guys think of this guy as a pro prospect? (Husky fans, dont' judge him too harshly on that game last year. I think Mike Riley set him up for failure by bringing him back from a knee injury way too early which basically ruined him for the rest of that year: See, RG3).

I think he's going to be a really nice pick for somebody looking for a classic drop back passer type QB. I think he's got a little Dave Krieg in him in that he's capable of being both red hot and ice cold. But when he's hot he's as good as any QB in the country.

He's got the arm, and the body (6'5" 225). He's got a little bit of a weird release but it works for him. This year thru 4 games he's completing 72% of his passes for 1600 yards, 15 TD's, 1 int. And he's doing that with absolutely no running game and basically only 1 really good WR. And he's throwing the ball down the field, not a ton of short bubble screen type passes like a spread offense QB gets.

He's still just a junior so he probably won't be in this draft, and he'll probably never be the "sexy name" type guy cuz he plays for the Beavers, but I think he has a chance to slip into the first round next year (although I think its probably more likely he'll be a 2nd or 3rd round guy). He's a better QB then guys like Ponder, Locker and Tebow, and they were all 1st round picks.

[youtube]U3b64WaqL-Y[/youtube]

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Why the Locker hate and why did you lump Jake in with Tebow and Ponder? Jake still has a good shot to turn out well in the NFL. Give him more time, he is progressing - albeit slower than most others.

Oh and on the topic of Mannion, I think he is a good QB playing on an otherwise terrible team. Without him they would be feeding on the dirt covering the Pac12 North cellar floor.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
I'm not sure Locker will ever refine his mechanics and accuracy to the point that he is an above average qb. I still blame Willingham and friends for just not giving a damn about his mechanics when he came to UW. The talent is there, but like you said, the progression has been very slow.

I think Mannion is a better pure passer than Locker, throws a good deep ball, doesn't move very well in the pocket though, and these days, you need it. And his consistency is a major issue. Solid mid round pick I'd think.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Poor Jake.

Good thoughts on Mannion, I would agree with your conclusion.

kearly

Reaction score
He's erratic, and any time you see a QB fighting for his starting job, it's very unlikely he'll be a force in the NFL.

If he was consistently productive and never made his coaches think so little as to bench him, I'd compare him to Brandon Weeden.

I think his backup, Vaz, was the better of the two in 2012.

davidonmi

Reaction score
kearly":2doc8geq said:
He's erratic, and any time you see a QB fighting for his starting job, it's very unlikely he'll be a force in the NFL.
tom brady says hi

pehawk

Reaction score
Yeah, he'll be just fine at the next level. More than that, most likely. That TD pass to tie it at 24 vs Cougs was big league stuff.