How PCJS' draft trends indicate what they'll do in 2016

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Pete and John have the history of finding gems at places nobody is looking. Sadly they also have the tendency to find complete turds on the Oline. Picking an athletic guy is great but if he can't block he's useless. Another conversion project or a Le'Raven Clark kind of guy aren't what we need right now. I seriously hopes Clark bombs at the Combine, because if his SPARQ is high, I'm sure we'll reach for him (and later on see him cut in training camp or worse actually starting).

kearly

Reaction score
I get Lawrence Jackson vibes from Rankins. And I'm not sure if the Seahawks have ever given out accurate information to a reporter before. That's nothing against Pauline who's amazing, but more a statement about how Seattle likes to use the media to misdirect.

I honestly have no freaking idea what Cable is going to do on the OL. He drafts uber athletes, and then he turns around and drafts sloppy body types in the same draft. The only commonality is that almost all of the linemen he drafts end up sucking.

I think Seattle is going to target an "exciting" uber athletic defender in the 1st round this year, a guy considered to be a reach. A guy in the mold of Robert Nkemdiche might be a name to consider, although I personally think Nkemdiche is a hype job.

Personally, I would much rather see Seattle go BPA in round 1 this year. It is so rare to find impact players at the end of round one... that it's often a fool's errand to draft for need in that spot and think you've locked an area down. If a stud like Darron Lee is available, I'd much much much rather have the Seahawks take the Earl Thomas of LBs than the next James Carpenter at OL. OL can be address later or through other means if need be.

Hawks46

Reaction score
The biggest area of need from last year's defense is interior pass rush.

This draft looks incredibly deep on the DL, meaning we can get a very high quality player later in the 1st.

OL isn't a need indicative of only the Seahawks, and with the prevalence of the spread in college, lots of guys out of college are busting, meaning there is a sort of draft "churn" with the OL going on. This adds up to some teams reaching, but many GM's draft for need which should let a very good talent drop a bit to our 1st round pick.

Of course it could be so deep that Schneider trades back and addresses OL and DL or BPA in the 2nd.

kearly

Reaction score
Fackrell seems like the kind of player PFF would hype the crap out of.

kearly

Reaction score
Hawks46":kotsom2p said:

This draft looks incredibly deep on the DL, meaning we can get a very high quality player later in the 1st.

I'm still just getting started, but so far I haven't seen anything exciting as far as 1st round pass rushers go. My favorite is Noah Spence, who reminds me a lot of Bruce Irvin when he was at WVU. Looks like Spence will be drafted before Seattle's pick though, the media is starting to catch on to him.

chris98251

Reaction score
At 26 if Henry is available he might be the wild card, if you don't go line go RB, Power back to mix up things with Rawls. Although the dilemma of paying your non starter more then your starter comes into play here. That could cause issues at some point.

firebee

Reaction score
Honestly, I think we trade out of the 1st and pick up extra picks. This draft doesn't look great on the surface, but their are a lot of nice prospects on the line in this draft that would be good fits for our offense.
Besides that, you never know... Coleman, Kenny Clark, Ridgeway, Billings or Ryan Kelly could slide to us in the 2nd. We get who we might've reached for in the 1st and have the extra picks to work with. Looking at the depth and the quality on both sides of the line, I just don't see us using the 1st pick.

firebee

Reaction score
chris98251":2kkkm0yg said:
At 26 if Henry is available he might be the wild card, if you don't go line go RB, Power back to mix up things with Rawls. Although the dilemma of paying your non starter more then your starter comes into play here. That could cause issues at some point.
Keith Marshall and Kenneth Dixon... We don't need to draft a RB on the first day, much less draft one with our first pick.
Either of those guys would be perfect fits for us at running back. If we miss on Dixon, we go early on Marshall the next day.
They are both the most well rounded backs in the draft. Marshall just had durability issues in college, so he might slide.

firebee

Reaction score
kearly":3lh9nxuh said:
Hawks46":3lh9nxuh said:

I'm still just getting started, but so far I haven't seen anything exciting as far as 1st round pass rushers go. My favorite is Noah Spence, who reminds me a lot of Bruce Irvin when he was at WVU. Looks like Spence will be drafted before Seattle's pick though, the media is starting to catch on to him.
His behavior pattern off the field is a bit concerning. One incident is a flag, but this kid has had multiple issues off the field.

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
kearly":347pv56k said:
I get Lawrence Jackson vibes from Rankins. And I'm not sure if the Seahawks have ever given out accurate information to a reporter before.

Tony Pauline reported a year ago they were very interested in Terry Poole. They took him in round four. It's quite the obscure name to get right if you're not in the know.

FWIW he also previously said the Seahawks had first round grades on Aaron Donald (before he exploded at the combine) and Odell Beckham Jr (when he was being touted as a borderline first rounder).

firebee

Reaction score
I disagree with whoever says the talent drops off at OT after the first 5 or 6 guys are off the board. I look at this draft and I see a bunch of guys that could be solid starting tackles in the NFL, outside of round 1. Odhiambo has amazing natural athleticism for his size... love the combination of strength and agility in him. Avery Young was slated to take over at LT for Coleman at Auburn if he didn't declare for the draft this year. Fahn Cooper... same thing.. He didn't start over Laremy Tunsil at LT, but he was capable of starting at LT and started at RT instead. Moved way down the boards because he wasn't a starting LT. Then you have guys like Willie Beavers, a small school guy that's athletic with prototype size, but he needs work on technique or Haeg, who could improve on his strength, but is a fundamentally sound lineman. Then you have a list of bigger school guys that were sound, but not spectacular... Benenoch, Johnstone and Donovan Clark... Where's this idea that the talent along the offensive line isn't that good coming from. We're not even mentioning the guys like Drango, Ifredi and LeRaven Clark.

What are they talking about? They're talking about these top prospects being can't miss prospects and we all know that's as far from the truth as you can get. Eugene Monroe, Justin Pugh, Lane Johnson, Anthony Davis, Chris Williams... These were all high 1st round picks at OT that were supposed to be solid starting tackles. Most of them washed out or ended up getting moved to guard. Meanwhile, you have guys like Veldheer and Bushrod being taken in the 3rd or 4th round and they end up being one of the better LTs in the league. What gives here? I'm not saying all the guys in the mid rounds are going to be great or all the guys in the 1st round are gonna be busts, but clearly their's a mentality, determination, physical ability and mental aptitude that allows guys in the mid-late rounds to outperform guys taken in the 1st round.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
firebee":1i5s64z4 said:
I disagree with whoever says the talent drops off at OT after the first 5 or 6 guys are off the board. I look at this draft and I see a bunch of guys that could be solid starting tackles in the NFL, outside of round 1. Odhiambo has amazing natural athleticism for his size... love the combination of strength and agility in him. Avery Young was slated to take over at LT for Coleman at Auburn if he didn't declare for the draft this year. Fahn Cooper... same thing.. He didn't start over Laremy Tunsil at LT, but he was capable of starting at LT and started at RT instead. Moved way down the boards because he wasn't a starting LT. Then you have guys like Willie Beavers, a small school guy that's athletic with prototype size, but he needs work on technique or Haeg, who could improve on his strength, but is a fundamentally sound lineman. Then you have a list of bigger school guys that were sound, but not spectacular... Benenoch, Johnstone and Donovan Clark... Where's this idea that the talent along the offensive line isn't that good coming from. We're not even mentioning the guys like Drango, Ifredi and LeRaven Clark.

What are they talking about? They're talking about these top prospects being can't miss prospects and we all know that's as far from the truth as you can get. Eugene Monroe, Justin Pugh, Lane Johnson, Anthony Davis, Chris Williams... These were all high 1st round picks at OT that were supposed to be solid starting tackles. Most of them washed out or ended up getting moved to guard. Meanwhile, you have guys like Veldheer and Bushrod being taken in the 3rd or 4th round and they end up being one of the better LTs in the league. What gives here? I'm not saying all the guys in the mid rounds are going to be great or all the guys in the 1st round are gonna be busts, but clearly their's a mentality, determination, physical ability and mental aptitude that allows guys in the mid-late rounds to outperform guys taken in the 1st round.

I'm on the opposite spectrum. I think the OT talent drops off hard after the top 3. Tunsil, Stanley and Decker are day 1 starters with a chance to make Pro Bowls. What player behind them gives off the same vibe? There are doubts on guys like Conklin, Spriggs, Coleman and Ifedi. They could be good but they are going to need some work, that's what I call a drop-off. Then take a look even further and you mention Beavers and Clark. Those two guys have the worst technique possible, they aren't even remotely close to the top 3. They shouldn't even be drafted at all.

pehawk

Reaction score
Another trend, albeit in a limited sample size, has been this regime shoring up obvious needs pre draft. That process allowed them to mask their love of Russ. And DL is another need Hawks shored up via FA vs draft in the '13 offseason.

They want to head into draft with options. They will sign or acquire a OLineman, soon, I'm, thinking.

XOXO

Garrett Scott

firebee

Reaction score
pehawk":1d3q374f said:
Another trend, albeit in a limited sample size, has been this regime shoring up obvious needs pre draft. That process allowed them to mask their love of Russ. And DL is another need Hawks shoresd up via FA vs draft in '13 offseason.

They want to head into draft with options. They will sign or acquire a OLineman, soon.

Agree with that 100%... I think we'll be heading into the draft with most of our needs addressed, at least partially, through free agency. I'm really really liking Mitchell Schwartz... He could legitimately challenge for the start at LT, but he could really play almost any position on the line. Then Bradley Sowell is another guy I really like us adding. A little lengthy for the guard position, but he could legitimately challenge for the start at either tackle position. He got planted behind a pro-bowler and I like the idea of stealing a Cards player for some weird reason. As for Linebacker, I have a sneaking suspicion that Nick Perry is going to end up in Seattle. He's kind of been underwhelming in Green Bay, but he was recruited by PC and he had great production at USC in Carroll's defense. I think their's a good possibility that Nick Perry signs at a bargain to play for PC again. If we resign Lane, Rubin & Mebane; that pretty much shores up all our major areas of need heading into the draft

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
pehawk":zukijhdz said:
XOXO

Garrett Scott

I so wanted him in that draft. Was crushed that he had that condition.

I thought he'd be a better incarnation of what Gilliam has become. I figured he would have actually been our LT in waiting last year.

He was just an athletic beast. I thought he could be the OL version of Richard Sherman heading into that draft.

firebee

Reaction score
Overseasfan":3tm9on7b said:
firebee":3tm9on7b said:

I'm on the opposite spectrum. I think the OT talent drops off hard after the top 3. Tunsil, Stanley and Decker are day 1 starters with a chance to make Pro Bowls. What player behind them gives off the same vibe? There are doubts on guys like Conklin, Spriggs, Coleman and Ifedi. They could be good but they are going to need some work, that's what I call a drop-off. Then take a look even further and you mention Beavers and Clark. Those two guys have the worst technique possible, they aren't even remotely close to the top 3. They shouldn't even be drafted at all.

Actually... The guy I'm really liking as a sleeper pick for us is Joe Haeg out of North Dakota St. Looks like a fundamentally sound OT that can stay in front of guys and he blocks well, but he doesn't play with strength and dig when he blocks. He uses his balance, footwork and technique to accomplish blocking more than he does strength and leverage. To me... This is a guy that would benefit greatly from having Cable as an OL Coach. The aspects this kid seems to have problems with are the aspects that play to Cable's coaching strengths and this kid's strengths are areas that've been perceived as weaknesses in Cable's coaching. I think they could offset each other and produce a really really good OT for us.

Someone was talking about it on another post. We get these guys that are athletic and they play with strength and leverage because Cable likes strength and leverage. Cable likes to coach up strength and leverage, but getting guys that are already stong in the area that plays to Cable's coaching strengths doesn't make any sense if the weakness in their game is the same as the weakness in Cable's coaching. It's kind of a Yen and Yang thing. With Cable, we seem to bring up linemen that are yang to his yang and they end up becoming one dimensional lineman that really excel as powerful run blockers that are strong at the point of attack, but they're weak in pass protection and staying in front of the pass rush.

pehawk

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":1kv49z0d said:
pehawk":1kv49z0d said:
XOXO

Garrett Scott

I so wanted him in that draft. Was crushed that he had that condition.

I thought he'd be a better incarnation of what Gilliam has become. I figured he would have actually been our LT in waiting last year.

He was just an athletic beast. I thought he could be the OL version of Richard Sherman heading into that draft.

Totally. His condition altered the plan, significantly. He would've been the RT, Britt would have two years at G, and now he'd be in line to be LT. I do like Gilliam, but Gilliam is a poor man's Scott.

Hawks46

Reaction score
kearly":livzmjgo said:
Hawks46":livzmjgo said:

Thanks for looking. I don't have enough time to do more than peripheral draft scouting, which is worse than useless and a waste of time. I rely on a lot of you guys to go more in depth.

It's common knowledge that this is an incredibly deep DL class. Is it mostly run stuffers ? Is the good value on interior pass rush in the 3rd and 4th rounds then? I know there's a few good edge rushers, but those are usually gone by the late first, and especially will be this year after that last SB.

kearly

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":66e72s4y said:
Tony Pauline reported a year ago they were very interested in Terry Poole. They took him in round four. It's quite the obscure name to get right if you're not in the know.

I think there is a world of difference between observing interest in a player vs. a member of personnel telling you a draft grade point blank.

For example, making a note of John Schneider taking a long meeting with Russell Wilson at the Senior Bowl proved to be significant. VMAC visits are also a pretty decent indicator.

But when a personnel guy tells a reporter specifics on a player, such as having grade X on player Y, I would guess that maybe 90% of the time he is bullshitting them to send out false information.