Yeah, Real Cheap Shot America

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
I read somewhere that Sherm ran past the Bills' sideline barking like a dog. That actually sounds believable. Leave it to Rex to say that qualified as "acting like an ass."

Sent from my SC-02H using Tapatalk

TwilightError

Reaction score
Well, we will be the only fanbase to give a damn about that pic. Same as the Julio Jones face hit, others have their minds made and no proof can change that.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Heyseed":7goukgn9 said:
Carpenter flopped like a fish, acted hurt and the refs didn't buy it
Yep, after his soccer style flop, he grabs the wrong leg. Horrible acting IMHO. 8)

truehawksfan

Reaction score
So, the only question I have is the rules of protecting a kicker/punter.

I have seen players smash punters, blocking the punt off the foot or, such as what happened to Jon Ryan, when the ball is punted and blocked. Either way, no flag is thrown as long as the balled is blocked. Sherm clearly went after the ball so no penalty. however, I recall a flag was thrown in the SEA-CAR playoff game when Kam leaped over the center missed the ball in flight and ran into the kicker. So, why can a player destroy a punter when the ball is blocked but not so when it happens to a kicker. Official king Dean Blandino didn't help by stuttering with a weak excuse on why he posted a tweet on a nfl network show.

Can we please throw the flag when a player flops? That kicker lays the ground rolling in pain. But recovers quickly! runs back after the spiked ball and continues to kick off without a limp and is not even mentioned as an injured player after the game.

Lastly, the reason why Sherm did his antics against Rob Ryan is because his brother went crazy on the sidelines so after the block. it was Sherm's way of telling the Ryans to STFU.

ivotuk

Reaction score
scutterhawk":wxizwyrl said:
TXHawk":wxizwyrl said:
mikeak":wxizwyrl said:
Sorry - the rule is that you have to touch the ball WHILE IN FLIGHT

It should have been a 15 yard penalty. Doesn't mean they didn't miss other calls and it is annoying this gets so much attention, but stop trying to argue that it is not a 15 yard penalty

The ball is always live on every play from the moment it is snapped until the whistle blows. The claim that Sherman isn't allowed to go after the ball until it's kicked is simply wrong.
Yep ^.... It's pretty straight forward..Once that ball is snapped, it's live and in play.

The ball is in Flight from the snapper to the holder, and when kicked.

Can they really have a rule that says "It's okay from the snapper to the holder, and once kicked, but not for the split second that the holder has it immobile on the ground."?

Rule

Reaction score
Year of The Hawk":l06rgzyq said:
Giblien":l06rgzyq said:
253hawk":l06rgzyq said:
EachIdioticAxisdeer.gif

Gif of the year so far. It felt like we had our 2013 Sherman back last night. Not that he has been bad or anything, just the attitude came through loud and clear in last nights game.

The crazy part about that is if you watch the play Rex is the one to start jawing. Sherm only stars him down so Sherm did not instigate anything. Rex being the dbag he is started this. Of course the narrative is Sherm was trash talking again. Ahhhhh I cant take the idiot media.
Sherman does not have to talk to instigate. Make no mistake, you're wrong, Sherman instigated that 100%. Rex did the talking as a result of the stare down/taunting. Try not to let your homerism shine too bright there kiddo.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
truehawksfan":1x4qhowp said:
So, the only question I have is the rules of protecting a kicker/punter.

I have seen players smash punters, blocking the punt off the foot or, such as what happened to Jon Ryan, when the ball is punted and blocked. Either way, no flag is thrown as long as the balled is blocked. Sherm clearly went after the ball so no penalty. however, I recall a flag was thrown in the SEA-CAR playoff game when Kam leaped over the center missed the ball in flight and ran into the kicker. So, why can a player destroy a punter when the ball is blocked but not so when it happens to a kicker. Official king Dean Blandino didn't help by stuttering with a weak excuse on why he posted a tweet on a nfl network show.

See the part in bold. You answered your own question. Kam missed the ball...had he touched the ball, they wouldn't (or shouldn't) have thrown the flag.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Rule":2dl35f2f said:
Year of The Hawk":2dl35f2f said:
Giblien":2dl35f2f said:
253hawk":2dl35f2f said:

Gif of the year so far. It felt like we had our 2013 Sherman back last night. Not that he has been bad or anything, just the attitude came through loud and clear in last nights game.

The crazy part about that is if you watch the play Rex is the one to start jawing. Sherm only stars him down so Sherm did not instigate anything. Rex being the dbag he is started this. Of course the narrative is Sherm was trash talking again. Ahhhhh I cant take the idiot media.
Sherman does not have to talk to instigate. Make no mistake, you're wrong, Sherman instigated that 100%. Rex did the talking as a result of the stare down/taunting. Try not to let your homerism shine too bright there kiddo.
:snack:

253hawk

Reaction score
Sherman didn't even have time to say anything. He was rolling out of bounds and happened to stand up right where Rex was. He looked to his left away from Rex for about 1 second and then Rex already started to flap his mouth about the FG nonsense that happened way back before halftime. All he did was stare.

xgeoff

Reaction score
253hawk":1hf9w7kc said:
Sherman didn't even have time to say anything. He was rolling out of bounds and happened to stand up right where Rex was. He looked to his left away from Rex for about 1 second and then Rex already started to flap his mouth about the FG nonsense that happened way back before halftime. All he did was stare.

There's a reason that guy went to Stanford. He's smart as hell.

DTexHawk

Reaction score
ivotuk":1umptkkd said:
That. Is a fabulous picture!

Got one of him grabbing the wrong leg? He deserves an Oscar for that performance, because he fooled the Nation!

Oh, and if the whistle blew, then why is Carpenter still kicking?

Which leg did he grab?

Assuming the right, then he could have hurt it on the follow-through of the kick which hit Sherman probably less than a foot in front of the ball after the ball was gone.

cheese22

Reaction score
#1. They blew the whistle way too late. You can hear it but it's late.
#2. If you say Sherman should have held up then you have to say the same about Carpenter. The contact wasn't from Sherman running into the kicker, the contact was on the kicker's follow through which would have been avoided if he would have stopped on the whistle.
#3. I wonder how many players knew you can't block a kick until it's airborne? What are they supposed to do if the get there that early? My thought when it happened was that you can clobber the kicker as long as you get a finger on the ball, blocking the kick which Sherman obviously got a hand on the ball.

mikeak

Reaction score
White Devil":2cg5ypd7 said:
mikeak":2cg5ypd7 said:

It should have been a 15 yard penalty. Doesn't mean they didn't miss other calls and it is annoying this gets so much attention, but stop trying to argue that it is not a 15 yard penalty

So what happens if it's never kicked? You're saying the holder could just sit there with his finger on the ball waiting for it to be kicked for how long?....forever?

Nobody is allowed to touch the kicker or the holder until the ball is kicked.

That's basically what you're saying.

This is a great rebuttal of my point

The point about hitting the kicker only applies after the ball is in the air (after the kicker hits it). That rule is clear and unchanged.

However from the snap you have other rules which would then apply until the ball is actually kicked.

Using your logic (which makes sense and I was not considering) the holder is basically the QB (he is in control of the football) until the ball is kicked at which point he becomes the holder.....

So the kicker is like a RB until he kicks and sure you can run into him.

The only thing that makes it different is that you have certain rules which only applies to kicking like how you line up with the Center.

There is either a hole in the rules or you apply normal snap rules until the ball is kicked

I agree with the fact that Sherman touched the ball and said that to lots of people originally. I claimed it wasn't a penalty because of that (obviously an offside penalty) but then when I saw the full rule I said ok it is a 15 yard penalty. Now it is more of a gray zone but since media is involved they are always on the quick judgment side of things without looking into nuances of the rules (we have seen it before).......

ivotuk

Reaction score
mikeak":15ey0h8w said:
White Devil":15ey0h8w said:
mikeak":15ey0h8w said:

So what happens if it's never kicked? You're saying the holder could just sit there with his finger on the ball waiting for it to be kicked for how long?....forever?

Nobody is allowed to touch the kicker or the holder until the ball is kicked.

That's basically what you're saying.

This is a great rebuttal of my point

The point about hitting the kicker only applies after the ball is in the air (after the kicker hits it). That rule is clear and unchanged.

However from the snap you have other rules which would then apply until the ball is actually kicked.

Using your logic (which makes sense and I was not considering) the holder is basically the QB (he is in control of the football) until the ball is kicked at which point he becomes the holder.....

So the kicker is like a RB until he kicks and sure you can run into him.

The only thing that makes it different is that you have certain rules which only applies to kicking like how you line up with the Center.

There is either a hole in the rules or you apply normal snap rules until the ball is kicked

I agree with the fact that Sherman touched the ball and said that to lots of people originally. I claimed it wasn't a penalty because of that (obviously an offside penalty) but then when I saw the full rule I said ok it is a 15 yard penalty. Now it is more of a gray zone but since media is involved they are always on the quick judgment side of things without looking into nuances of the rules (we have seen it before).......

About the bolded part, where in the rule does it say at what point the ball is or is not the "Flight" that allows someone to block the kick. I would argue that "Flight" applies to the moment it is snapped, where it is in "Flight" enroute to the holder.

If on a passing play, the snapper to a QB in shotgun delays his snap, wouldn't it be legal to try to get the ball enroute and collide with anyone while attempting to do so?

253hawk

Reaction score
Until the ball is actually kicked, there is no 'kicker' and it's not even a kicking play. You can line up in FG formation and still fake it and take off and run or throw a pass downfield like a pseudo-QB (as many holders used to be the QB2 on the teams anyway before they all switched to punters). Only once the kicker's foot touches the ball does he 'become' a kicker.

If it were a fake and Carp was just going through the motions while Schmidt took off on a bootleg and Sherman still hit Carp, it's not a penalty because there was no kick.

ivotuk

Reaction score
253hawk":2kof72ia said:
Until the ball is actually kicked, there is no 'kicker' and it's not even a kicking play. You can line up in FG formation and still fake it and take off and run or throw a pass downfield like a pseudo-QB (as many holders used to be the QB2 on the teams anyway before they all switched to punters). Only once the kicker's foot touches the ball does he 'become' a kicker.

If it were a fake and Carp was just going through the motions while Schmidt took off on a bootleg and Sherman still hit Carp, it's not a penalty because there was no kick.

Thank you. That makes a lot of sense and clarifies the situation.

Seafan

Reaction score
And don't depend on Dean Blandino for any clarity. He said one thing at half time and changed it the next day. As usual the media focuses on one ref mistake and ignores the rest. Just like in the win over the Packers and the win over ATL. I'm done watching ESPN and NFLN. A bunch of hacks.

bellingerga

Reaction score
Didn't the bills sign and start a guy who was once kicked out of the league entirely for calling his teammates the N-word and threatening to rape and kill their family members and crap like that? Yet Bills fans wanna call Sherman Dirty?

Not to mention, Did Jimmy Graham have a play all night where he was able to utilize both of his hands to try and catch the ball?

That whole organization is a dirty dumpster fire. The better team won and Sherman made a good play.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
I keep seeing the claim that Carpenter grabbed the wrong knee. My first thought, after going back and watching it again, was that it was the wrong knee. But after watching it several more times I began to realize that it really is the rightful knee. He actually kicked the ball and followed through right into Sherman with the kicking leg. That's gotta hurt a boat load. Judge for yourself, but I don't think it was the wrong knee. It just looked that way because the video only shows the left leg getting hit in a manner in which we are accustomed to relating injury.

Latest posts