Wyman: The Seahawks need Everson Griffen more than Clay Matt

ivotuk

Reaction score
Wyman: The Seahawks need Everson Griffen more than Clay Matthews

By Brent Stecker August 9, 2020 at 12:44 pm

Former NFL linebacker and current Seahawks radio color commentator Dave Wyman says only one fits a need for Seattle, however, and that’s Griffen.

Both Matthews and Griffen had eight sacks last year, but Griffen is a little younger (he’ll turn 33 years old in December while Matthews is 34), and he made the Pro Bowl for the fourth time in five years in 2019 while Matthews hasn’t made a Pro Bowl since 2015. Though both are pass rushers, they rush from different spots in the defense. Matthews’ LEO linebacker spot is plenty full on Seattle’s roster, while the 5-technique position that Griffen would play lacks depth.

“To me, (Griffen) is a much better fit,” Wyman said Thursday on 710 ESPN Seattle’s Bob, Dave and Moore. “I don’t know if Clay Matthews can be just like a put-you-hand-in-the-dirt (edge rusher), but they don’t have a need for a linebacker, that’s for sure.”

https://sports.mynorthwest.com/1137155/ ... -matthews/

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
I agree with Griff over Mathews. Twice. Everson can do stuff Mathews can't do nearly as well, namely stop the run. Besides we already have Twin Griff, who is lots faster than Mathews, to come off the edge and I expect to see him improved with another year under his belt.
I like the moves our FO made in terms of shoring up rush depth. Seems like we're in a lot better position than last year for Clowney to shine. With the other players we have for the O Line to deal with they won't be able to put 2-3 guys on Clowney without paying a price, and if they don't Clowney is of talent level to see his sack numbers and play making swell accordingly. Either Everson or Clowney would make us a better team. BOTH would be dangerously superior stuff.