Would you rather?

425HawkSpark

Reaction score
Seahawks miss playoffs get a few spots better in draft or make it with good possibility we get bounced fast and pick later? One hand we get a playoff game. But if we face SF and get spanked again. I rather just get the better draft pick.

Mix

Reaction score
Seahawks miss playoffs get a few spots better in draft or make it with good possibility we get bounced fast and pick later? One hand we get a playoff game. But if we face SF and get spanked again. I rather just get the better draft pick.
I would rather go to the Playoffs. Draft picks are a crap shoot, moving a few spots isn't worth not setting up the future with playoff experience (Woolen,Walker, both Tackles among others). You play to win the game. Even when you might be out you foster a mentality of never quit, and that is how you beat the Packers on Monday Night September 24, 2012 and in the NFC Championship Game.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
A few weeks ago, I would've chose option #1, lose and get a better draft pick.

Unfortunately, I was met with hostile resistance, was told I'm a fake fan, I don't know anything and worst of all, should be banned.

So I've changed my tune. Absolutely, this team should go for it and make the playoffs to inevitably get bounced in the 1st round and lose draft position- er I mean make the playoffs and dominate anyone and everyone who stands in our way.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
I'm torn, a number 3 and potentially a 10 pick are huge. Playoffs would be great though.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Here is one problem with your proposition. At this point, not making the playoffs vs making the playoffs might be a 3-4 swing in draft position. Draft CHOICES are made by each team. There is no draft order or preferred mock draft that every team must follow when it comes their time to pick. What that means is, the potential 3-4 teams ahead of you might each have 5 guys they are looking at that are not the guys you are looking at. That’s 15-20 guys that might or might not be picked ahead of you.

Let’s say that in the last draft Pete and John knew they wanted a tackle with Denver’s #10 pick. There were 3 guys at that position rated as going somewhere in the top 10. Maybe Charles Cross was the guy they wanted all along. The 2 tackles chosen ahead of him might just bear that theory out. If they decided Cross was their guy and the only potential way they thought to get him was to trade up into the top 5, they would have screwed themselves out of later picks.

I see way too many people looking at mock drafts and basing their draft evaluations on what some guy living in his parents basement puts out on the internet.

“Getting a better draft pick” is really only truly assessed a few years after the pick is made and the guy proves himself n the field. FYI, more than half of first round picks end up busts in one form or another. Regardless of draft position.

Make the playoffs, do what you can and let the draft come to you.

OP
OP
425HawkSpark

425HawkSpark

Reaction score
I always bring this up because a few draft spots matter when you aiming to trade them. Who you pick behind you matters

Jerhawk

Reaction score
I always bring this up because a few draft spots matter when you aiming to trade them. Who you pick behind you matters
Finally, someone who speaks my language.

*shakes hand virtually

Where have you been? I needed some backup on here for weeks now.

The sun does shine on my darkest days of .Net

Last edited:

BASF

Reaction score
Can we make this a poll please. Curious about the actual answer from the board.

For me, screw the draft position. We need to make the playoffs for so many reason, but sticking it to Me3 would be really nice.

knownone

Reaction score
My general philosophy in these situations is to let the chips fall and deal with the aftermath. So I want to make the playoffs until it's no longer possible, and then I'll start concerning myself with a min/maxing draft position.

Seriously, we've seen worse teams than ours do damage in the playoffs.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
We're cool Jer, always have been. Like I said before, you're ever in town, next pint is on me.
If they sneak in, very cool. If they don't, better draft picks. Of course that's a good thing and a good consolation prize for not making it. At the MINIMUM, I want them to play good football these next couple weeks. They have lost 5 of 6. They need to get back in the W column. Losing 7 of 8 to finish the season is NOT a good thing. Regardless what draft picks from from a 7-10 record.
When you are at 6-3, finishing 7-10 is a fricken disaster imo.