Would you agree that Russell is the definition of "clutch"?

TXHawk

Reaction score
One of the things that stands out to me about Wilson is that he rarely compounds mistakes. Some QBs can play well in stretches but if they throw a bad pick or fumble the ball that can often snowball on them into more mistakes and turnovers. When Wilson makes a mistake he simply seems to refocus and get back on track.

The NFCCG was a good example. In what was the biggest game of his career up to that point Wilson fumbled on his first offensive play and gave the 49ers a short field. That probably would have rattled many quarterbacks, especially a young one in just his second season, but it didn't seem to affect him at all and he played well the rest of the game. Compare that to Kaepernick who played well for much of the game but then began making mistakes in bunches in the second half and ended up with three turnovers. You just don't see that from Wilson.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
TXHawk":2bc0sl5h said:
One of the things that stands out to me about Wilson is that he rarely compounds mistakes. Some QBs can play well in stretches but if they throw a bad pick or fumble the ball that can often snowball on them into more mistakes and turnovers. When Wilson makes a mistake he simply seems to refocus and get back on track.

The NFCCG was a good example. In what was the biggest game of his career up to that point Wilson fumbled on his first offensive play and gave the 49ers a short field. That probably would have rattled many quarterbacks, especially a young one in just his second season, but it didn't seem to affect him at all and he played well the rest of the game. Compare that to Kaepernick who played well for much of the game but then began making mistakes in bunches in the second half and ended up with three turnovers. You just don't see that from Wilson.
Really good point and I agree 100%.

OP
OP
Mick063

Mick063

Reaction score
TXHawk":2ryiy66d said:

So the question is.....

Does ESPN's QBR fail to capture this? I think it is obvious that it does not capture smart play. It seems to me that your fore mentioned "compounded mistakes" should be a key metric when determining a quarterback's relative value. In fact, the closer together they are (mistakes in bunches), the steeper the penalty should be. Such a metric would bury the likes of Cousins or Kaepernick. Perhaps even Luck on occasion. Obviously, the QBR is a failed attempt to dig deeper into a quarterback's relative worth by delving into "expected points" and "clutch factor" without taking into account the smart play of declining to force the ball into impossibly small windows. My analogy is this....."How you spend your money is of equal importance to your level of income". Some of the wealthiest people have spent themselves into bankruptcy.

I give a challenge to whomever is willing. Come up with a QB rating system that accounts for Russell's intelligent play. Is it possible?

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
So Russell is ranked 23rd on the 'clutch' factor according to the QBR... huh

Just another reason to ignore QBR.

Wilson is the very definition of clutch, he has that 'it' factor, that god given ability to make things happen. At the end of a game, 2 minutes left, no timeouts, down by 6, who do you want leading your offense down the field to win?

Yep, Russell Wilson. Without a doubt in my mind.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
rjdriver":30rdg2v2 said:
I've been watching Seahawk football for 35 years. Only with Wilson do I feel like we are in every game, that no deficit is insurmountable. Last year against TB at halftime, I knew we would win. I wasn't hoping for a comeback, I knew we would win. This was because of Russell Wilson. We have seen it multiple times in just 3 short years. It's an experience as a Seahawk fan I have never had and am trying to savor every moment. Hasselbeck, Krieg, Zorn, even Kitna will always be some of my favorite Hawks, but I know this is a special time for all of us.

With regards to this clutch thing; I love the fact the Wilson doesn't have the opportunity as frequently as others to be clutch. Why? Because we are winning a lot, this is a fine football team. I find the perception flawed that Luck et al. are so clutch because they mount a fourth quarter comeback without considering the fact that their turnovers and poor play directly contributed to the need for the comeback.

Despite the ridiculous formulas, I know that if you asked multiple active players today who you want in the "clutch", Russell will be in the top five everytime.

And yes, Religion indeed is a smile on a dog
I know the quote, but for some reason you made me think of Verndog's old avatar.

I shivered.

rjdriver

Reaction score
Scottemojo":ozn0znu2 said:
rjdriver":ozn0znu2 said:
I've been watching Seahawk football for 35 years. Only with Wilson do I feel like we are in every game, that no deficit is insurmountable. Last year against TB at halftime, I knew we would win. I wasn't hoping for a comeback, I knew we would win. This was because of Russell Wilson. We have seen it multiple times in just 3 short years. It's an experience as a Seahawk fan I have never had and am trying to savor every moment. Hasselbeck, Krieg, Zorn, even Kitna will always be some of my favorite Hawks, but I know this is a special time for all of us.

With regards to this clutch thing; I love the fact the Wilson doesn't have the opportunity as frequently as others to be clutch. Why? Because we are winning a lot, this is a fine football team. I find the perception flawed that Luck et al. are so clutch because they mount a fourth quarter comeback without considering the fact that their turnovers and poor play directly contributed to the need for the comeback.

Despite the ridiculous formulas, I know that if you asked multiple active players today who you want in the "clutch", Russell will be in the top five everytime.

And yes, Religion indeed is a smile on a dog
I know the quote, but for some reason you made me think of Verndog's old avatar.

I shivered.

I still have nightmares bro.

Hawks46

Reaction score
There isn't a stat or an equation that can quantify everything. There are some things you just can't predict. If that was the case, the NFL draft would be more of an exact science, and there would be less misses.

All I know is that Wilson took over our team his rookie year, then proceeded to beat the Patriots, then go on to beat the Bears (twice in one game). You might as well throw Atlanta in there as well. He won us that game, he sure as hell didn't lose it for us.

It's almost as dumb as saying one QB beat another QB "head to head". Really ? The QB's don't ever match up against eachother. So, Wilson brings us back from a deficit in which he played a damn near flawless game, then the defense craps the bed in under 30 seconds and loses us that game. Any player in that locker room would've said that was on the defense, yet that will go against Wilson's "clutchness". Like I said, some things you can't quantify and Wilson's icy cool under pressure and "it" factor are some of them.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
No quarterback rating statistics is perfect but the traditional passer rating correlates better with win/loss outcomes. That is what should matter most.
You would think ESPN folks must be scratching their heads when they see goofy ass QBR numbers. A winning qb who completes nearly 70% while also making plays with his feet should not be 23rd in any rating system.
QBR is a failed rating system if it can't measure what is intended. ESPN hides details of its process and nobody knows who judges or enters the subjective values in total QBR. ESPN analysts who continue to quote QBR make excuses flawed scores by indicating a passer might have been deducted for such behavior without providing any actual evidence into the rating process. Yes I'm still not over the absurd 29.1 QBR which RW received from SD game. It must have been due to the Korean judge or the Indianapolis judge same difference.
Best rating systems should correlate with performance AND there has been few passers more consistent or better performing than Russell.

chris98251

Reaction score
If rating systems worked so well the Pros would never miss on a QB due to the fool proof rating systems that could be used in college to screen potential draft picks. Why the eyeball test is still the determining factor, Wilson has it, Dil - QBR did not.

He was a good College QB though, not sure if it was the Bucs that gave him Ric Mirer syndrome or if he was just not quite up to snuff.

Tical21

Reaction score
I would like to see the rest of the list.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3mijpcqr said:
Russell has had two "clutch" opportunities this year. Converted it OT vs Denver. Did not do well at all in San Diego.

QBR is stupid. Russ is good. I know what I know, if you know what I mean.

I've always been torn on the importance of "clutch". Because yeah Clutch is awesome when you really need it, but sometimes if you're just overall awesome, you have no need to be clutch. BUT..then again sometimes no matter how awesome you are you will still end up in a situation where you need to be clutch. Okay if you're not cross-eyed yet.

San Diego I think it's fair to say pretty much all 3 phases for Seahawks did not play well. So let's just not talk about that. As for the game against Denver. RW definitely was clutch in OT, but is it fair to say he was not clutch in that final drive where Kam got the pick and brought it all the way to like the 40. And all we could get out of it was a FG. Had RW drove enough to get us a TD, that whole Peyton manning comeback would never have mattered, and heck would not have happened. It would have been a 9 point win and most likely with the ball back in our hands to kneel out the game.

Either way I don't know if RW is THE most clutch player in the NFL, but he has definitely been clutch when we needed him to. At least succeeding more often than failing.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Mick063":16764guc said:
Tical21":16764guc said:
I would like to see the rest of the list.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/qbr

Cam Newton has played better than Russell this season. Believe it!

I believe the following list is more accurate:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/playe ... backRating

It places Foles, Cousins, and Kaepernick exactly where they belong.
Every last one of the quarterbacks in the top 10 are classic dropback passers. QBR is virtually useless in where football is evolving to.

lsheldon

Reaction score
Anyone know what the record for wins through first 3 seasons by a QB is? Wonder how many wins Russell needs this year to surpass it.