Would a Super Bowl win this year have an asterisk?

olyfan63

Reaction score
It should have two asterisks ** next to it, saying "Extraordinary achievement despite Covid-19 impacts.
Or sometimes they use a cross-like symbol to refer to a footnote.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Didn't the Redskins win 2 SB's during player strike seasons?
I don't see any asterisk on those.
One of those seasons wasn't a full schedule.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Technically yes it should have an asterisk due to the dropping of the Pre-season. All an asterisk means is you need to check the asterisk notes at the bottom of the page of the record books.

Kansas won an NCAA title in 2008 aginst "Vacated" so that title has an asterisk. The asterisk note says Memphis had to vacate all their wins from that season.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Should the Seahawks win the Super Bowl....there are other teams who have enough political power to see that there is an asterisk after our name.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Maulbert":2u3cld06 said:
Quick question to everyone saying yes: is there an asterisk next to Washington's Super Bowl titles in '82 and '87?

I checked and yes they both have asterisks.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
It depends.

If there is some outbreak radically affecting the standings because some loses key players for more than 1 week?
Maybe.

If there is an outbreak that removes key players or stars from the playoffs entirely?
Absolutely.

Some people want to give an asterisk to the Houston Rockets because they won a title until Jordan was gone. OF COURSE they are going to want to put a star next to the record of some team that stumbles into a title because the key contenders lost their best players during the playoffs (not due to injury but some weird disease that derailed entire industries).

If the season is pretty ordinary with no key losses that can be attributed to the crazy? (doubtful but possible)
No reason for the asterisk then.

However...

For a lot of sports fans this whole effing year is going to have an asterisk, for personal, professional, and even less rational reasons. I will hold a grudge against 2020 for at least a few years. So I would put an asterisk next to the season regardless...just out of spite. (unless we win the SB, in which case all is forgiven).

Still, glad we even get football. It looked a lot darker there for a while. Thankful for that.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
If you win u win. They aren't playing without players. They have no fans. If teams lose starters? Maybe.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Maulbert":3fsfla67 said:
sdog1981":3fsfla67 said:
Maulbert":3fsfla67 said:
Quick question to everyone saying yes: is there an asterisk next to Washington's Super Bowl titles in '82 and '87?

Bullshit.
Yeah there is no asterisks ..Skins get 100% credit nobody ever
talks about those strike season(s)
So I don't wanna hear any BS if Hawks win it.

sdog1981

Reaction score
IndyHawk":heo7c4n4 said:
Maulbert":heo7c4n4 said:
sdog1981":heo7c4n4 said:
Maulbert":heo7c4n4 said:

$h!t.
Yeah there is no asterisks ..Skins get 100% credit nobody ever
talk about those strike season(s)
So I don't wanna here any BS if Hawks win it.

This is 100% incorrect.

The OFFICIAL NFL record book has an asterisk for both seasons due to the change in the season length and playoff formats.

The 1982 asterisk notation reads: ” A 57-day-long players' strike reduced the 1982 season from a 16-game schedule per team to an abbreviated nine game schedule.”

Sports Media never acknowledges the asterisk, which is a completely different topic.

OP
OP
FPD

FPD

Reaction score
KinesProf":2hcpzulf said:
Yes, an asterisk is used to indicate an anomaly; such as playing during a pandemic.

However, an asterisk isn't necessarily a bad thing or a pejorative; it is all in the application.

When I made my original post, I wasn't sure the right words would be "worth less". Those words were poorly chosen. I should have just said "different than a regular season". I wish I would have formulated the words above. Nice job Kines.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
No. 50 years from now (assuming we haven't blown the world to pieces) the winner of Superbowl 55 will be recognized.

People today seem to struggle with taking a step back and look at the big picture.
Yeah, things right now suck and the news causes me anxiety. But things will get back to normal (I hope).

RW4LIFE

Reaction score
NO.

All this "stuff" that has been going on is so exaggerated/politicized that as soon as normalcy returns people will want to pretend they never really bought into the fear/controversy hype to begin with.

The return to "normal" is going to be very quick.

See what happened with the NBA and its foray into hard-leaning politics. Enough fans said get lost and the big money came in, wagged its finger, and most everyone soon fell into line and pretended they didn't try to deny fans a season to begin with.

I only mention that above example (because the modern day NBA is a joke and has been for a good decade or so and would likely have already collapsed if not for growing fan interest in places like China that is keeping it propped up) to show how regular folk really are worn out/sick and tired about all of this "stuff" and more than ready to move on and get back to regular day in day out stuff including FOOTBALL.

We'll be getting there soon but Lawdy-Lawdy it still isn't soon enough!

This years Super Bowl will be LEGIT.

(And word is the Hawks might be a serious contender to get there.)