Would a Super Bowl win this year have an asterisk?

FPD

Reaction score
I think, with the many (far more important) issues in our world these days (and the obvious impacts on the game), that a Lombardi this year would probably be worth a little less than in a "normal" year. Maybe less isn't the exact word. Maybe I don't know what is. But it just feels like a Super Bowl win this year would, well, have an asterisk. That is not to say that I wouldn't take it!

Thoughts?

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Probably. I just believe a lot of interest has waned from the NFL and professional sports as a whole with the covid and social issues happening. Dont get me wrong, a win is a win and should be considered legit, but with the lack of fan participation, it wont have near the impact.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Absolutely not. All 32 teams are dealing with the same thing here. The season is whatever it is. Win the Super Bowl and you're the Champs, regardless what other people think.

keasley45

Reaction score
Even if it did, i wouldn't care. It would just offset the asterisk next to the one we lost in Detroit.

But no, every team is playing with NFL talent. Every team is facing the same challenges. Teams that build great depth will have an advantage if, God forbid, Covid starts to drastically effect rosters.

MOCHawk

Reaction score
Not as long as they get a full 16 games + playoffs in. If the season is truncated, I think it deserves an asterisk.

Erebus

Reaction score
Not at all. There may be less fans watching in February, but years from now people aren't going to remember this Super Bowl in the context of the ongoing social issues. Whoever wins will have a Lombardi Trophy just like all others.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2vf0k9mr said:
Nope. Unless a team I hate wins it, then yes it would. 8)

Perfect answer.

kf3339

Reaction score
keasley45":klcrxjqx said:
Even if it did, i wouldn't care. It would just offset the asterisk next to the one we lost in Detroit.

But no, every team is playing with NFL talent. Every team is facing the same challenges. Teams that build great depth will have an advantage if, God forbid, Covid starts to drastically effect rosters.

Agreed about Detroit. If an asterisk is applied to this Super Bowl, then it should be applied to that game as well!

DJrmb

Reaction score
If anything I believe this season should be starred. Whoever wins the Super Bowl this season is going to have to manage their team as well as a global pandemic, keeping their staff and players safe from such. They also have to manage other outside influences and distractions with everything else going on concerning social injustice etc. I believe more than one locker room will crumble under the pressures of everything going on.

It's going to take a really strong head coach (and staff) to keep a team together, focused, and safe this season.

KinesProf

Reaction score
Yes, an asterisk is used to indicate an anomaly; such as playing during a pandemic.

However, an asterisk isn't necessarily a bad thing or a pejorative; it is all in the application.

In these instances, be it the NFL, NHL or NBA, the asterisk will indicate that no team in recent memory has won a championship under tougher circumstances.

This year's Super Bowl Champion will be extra impressive given the circumstances, and will be a Super Bowl++ given the adversity. People need things to be happy about, so delivering a championship to your community during these times will feel even more impactful.

Re-brand the long misunderstood *

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I don't think so. The cream will rise to the top.

2020 will be remembered for a lot of reasons but if the NFL plays a full season, then a Lombardi is a Lombardi is a Lombardi.

John63

Reaction score
if they play a full schedule then no, if they reduce the schedule then yes. IN fact one could argue if they play a full schedule but have no fans it would be harder.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2yu097i1 said:
Absolutely not. All 32 teams are dealing with the same thing here. The season is whatever it is. Win the Super Bowl and you're the Champs, regardless what other people think.
I was going to post this exact same response, virtually every team in the League has to deal with with this pandemic, no team has an edge.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
An asterisk doesn't take away the title. I hope to laugh at anyone who tells me the title is somehow less if the Hawks were to win it.

sc85sis

Reaction score
FPD":2dno6eog said:
I think, with the many (far more important) issues in our world these days (and the obvious impacts on the game), that a Lombardi this year would probably be worth a little less than in a "normal" year. Maybe less isn't the exact word. Maybe I don't know what is. But it just feels like a Super Bowl win this year would, well, have an asterisk. That is not to say that I wouldn't take it!

Thoughts?
No. All the teams are playing under the same potential circumstances.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
If someone feels like it's less than a Super Bowl Championship, that's on them. Not even close, whatever team hoists it earned it. I wouldn't feel any differently if the Hawks won it. Nor will the players.